1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Long Time Musicians here think about Quitting?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 2HBStrat, Apr 25, 2020.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

No gigs now, and no band rehearsals, either, and a lot of time to think. I realize that my life has, intentionally, been centered around music. It was definitely a choice on my part. So now, without much of a music outlet it makes me question my purpose...and while I'm certainly not questioning any choices along the way, I find myself thinking about letting it all go. The hassles with playing in three bands is a part of it, and really, one of the bands wouldn't be an issue to continue with. The other two...I'm not sure.

I quit playing for two years back in the 1970's and came back energized, but I haven't stopped since then, and nowdays the music scene doesn't give much to get energized about, anyway.

So...any long time players here who considered quitting, or who DID quit, and what are your thoughts about it?

Thanks!

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When my brain and body says “No”.
    When the phone stops ringing.
    When I get “the message”.
    Not till then.

3. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a long time Quitter thinking about being a Musician, does that count?!

4. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I did a similar thing in the early 70s also after watching Alivin Lee at Woodstock. I put it down figuring I'd never get that far.

I was wrong.

I did give up gigging in the late 90s mainly due to a hostile take over by DJs in my area. (I think many had a similar problem)
    In the ensuing years I acquired recording equipment and have been having a ball. I miss the stage (or dusty corner) sometimes but this was something I've always wanted to do. So....

Some of the results are on my Soundcloud site.

5. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I am. I had two nice bands I was in, nice people, one a kind of alt country/soul band with some originals and the other a gypsy jazz band. We had some great moments, really great.

But late nights, long sets, the driving, the load in and out: it's just kind of lost its charm. I started playing the Irish flute not long ago, and you can't hardly beat a flute for portability and ease of load in and out. It offers me a ton of musical challenges, So I don't know if I go back to gigging or not

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Never!
    Been playing doing something with a guitar ( acoustic or electric) and a decent voice since 1975 high school and just love to play all kinds of music.

Also, ( by quitting my 'real job' too soon maybe)I have now sort of put myself in a situation that playing music is a good portion of my income, and now I think this is ' till death do us part!' But I embrace it

As a local gigger, playing in multiple electric and acoustic groups, I really had a pretty busy last 2 years ( 2019 was the busiest I've ever been, at 61!) and this Spring looked to be ramping up ( Brewpub/winery gigs) but that all came to an abrupt end on March 15.

Hanging in there now, and will adjust to whatever happens with the venues we were playing, hope for the best.

Lots of acoustic playing at home, as always, did a few live streaming or Facebook Live things, which are OK. But I like to play and jam with others.
    Hoping for better times, soon!

7. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Are you talking about quitting music all together or just quitting bands and that hassle? Never quit music. If you quit your bands and sell your gear, keep at least one guitar and amp. You’ll miss them. Make music for yourself first. Bands come and go and none of them matter.

jh

8. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

My Dad told me that the only thing in life I should quit is being negative. Look around and the industry is changing before our eyes for now. I see many bands playing music and rehearsing together online. The media is changing. The routines are changing. Some folks are performing online with PPV or just TipJars. Being proactive about a bad situation will help me. It just takes some time to introduce yourself to new ways of practice and performance. I believe it will be a part of the music scene for the rest of time. It might be the only way for now but it helps to stay current. JMHO Have a nice day everyone!

kirby02, JL_LI, Fendereedo and 3 others like this.
  9. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I stopped smoking in 1991.

10. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

My motto has been as long as Keith is playing live (he does have a few years on me), so am I!!

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Thought you said quilting.
    Never quit but took hiatus
    During certain time in life.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  12. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Yes, been working from home going on 6 weeks and have a hard time getting motivated enough to take my gear out. Small house, messy garage so I play on my back porch. Thinking about getting a small modeling amp just to leave out there with a cable. That way it’ll be just grabbing a guitar to play then put away. Thought I’d be playing all day everyday. Just aint happening. Down to 2 tube amps now and one of those is a project that sadly will probably never get finished. Bummer getting old and having to grow up.

kirby02, Marc Morfei and Bill Sheehan like this.
  13. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Not until I stop having ideas.

14. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Afflicted

I would, but fortunately I'm an addict.

15. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

3 bands? I couldn't do that, sometimes one can be hassle enough.

16. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I've been playing since the late 60's and still going. Playing in my church now; live streaming.

17. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

2HB, I appreciate you bringing this up, as I too have had moments in recent memory, or sometimes specific intervals of two or three days at a time, in which I look at my guitar and simply feel no desire to pick it up and play it, although I still look at it with greatest affection. Since my early adolescence I've kind of defined myself as a guitar player, although I devoted my "prime" 39 years to a more traditional profession (and will be ever thankful for the good it enabled me to do for others). And it's a little unnerving to find that now my inner voice sometimes says, "Do you HAVE to be a guitar player? Is there something else that you may be missing? Is it really essential to your personhood that you perform music for others?" I do wonder if it might be a function of getting up there in years. I'll be turning 67 soon, and if I'm honest about it, I don't seem to have the drive or the patience to sit for hours "figuring stuff out" like I did when I was younger-- and I think that was a big part of the fun, that process of woodshedding and marking your progress and feeling yourself getting better and better. Perhaps I've gotten as good as I'm going to get (which is only average, by the way), and just don't feel driven to keep at it, given the relatively limited number of pages likely remaining in my life's book. ON THE OTHER HAND, maybe I'm simply experiencing a normal valley among the many peaks and valleys that we all experience in life; maybe I'm trying to "out-think" things, and just need to chill. Who knows, maybe this is all just the precursor to an explosion of creativity and development? One thing's for sure-- there will always be a guitar close at hand, just in case!

kirby02, pblossom, JL_LI and 10 others like this.
  18. COYS

COYS TDPRI Member

The only thing I think about, with respect to playing out, playing all acoustic. Much easier, simpler, very little to move around, more opportunities.

19. kylejf90

kylejf90 Tele-Meister

I started playing at 12, I'm 30 now, and was never a gigging musician. I'd jam with friends through high-school and college when we all had time. I've considered quitting multiple times. Do I love playing guitar, the gear, etc? absolutely. But with life, stress, mental health, and time and energy constraints I've watched my playing go from decent to okay, and it bums me out. Will I continue? most likely, but as I move forward with my career and life I'm uncertain about my playing.

kirby02 and Bill Sheehan like this.
  20. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Quit ??? 55 years of playing and I'm just getting started!!!
    The best is yet to come...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.