1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Little Walter amp clones?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by av8theskies, Jan 12, 2013.

1. av8theskies

av8theskies Tele-Meister

I saw Vince Gills tour rig and the little Walter amps...I believe they are octal setups from what I read..is there anything on the kit market close to this for a noob to tackle....around 30 watts or so with just basis knobs? I have repaired as amps but never tackled a tube. I'm into clean old country ala bakersfield

2. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

I was wonderin this myself last week after looking at their website. Only because I see Jack Pearson using Little Walters now.

3. dwight

dwight TDPRI Member

Here's a relevant thread over at Amp Garage:
    Little Walter Amps?

Looks like they're just clones of a Fender 5B6 Bassman. Don't know of any kits out there for something like this, but it's a pretty simple circuit. Anybody build one of these?

4. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Schematic-wise not much different than a 5C4 Super, except saves one preamp tube. That's nice if you don't need/want 4 inputs. Love the paraphase.

I built the 5C4 on a Weber 5C3 chassis, so that might be a good place to start. 5E3 chassis the same thing, just octal preamp tubes on the 5C3 - build it either way. Turretboards.com has the 5B6 board - just drop it in. I used standard Blackface Deluxe transformers.

Attached Files:

5. av8theskies

av8theskies Tele-Meister

Cool, thanks for the heads up.. I was contemplating a 5e3 but don't need the 4 inputs and need more clean headroom than I hear from them on YouTube.. I think I will take your advise and go for it!

6. M Fowler

M Fowler TDPRI Member

For regular guitar you can change the grid leak to 1m with 68k grid. The coupling caps can be changed to .02 for guitar but I actually leave my 5b6 builds stock but add a higher grid leak for the high input to 4m7 even 10m for steel guitars.

Mark

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.