Any lefties out there that play guitar right handed.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 23, 2019.

1. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

This will probably be a short thread. I am left handed but anything I do with both hands at the same time I do right handed. For instance I throw a baseball left handed but I bat right handed. I golf right handed. I play guitar right handed. I write left handed. I know I'm a little strange.

PhatBoy and mrmousey like this.
  2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Will not be a short thread. There are lots of us. More than you think.

I eat, write, and use some tools with left hand. Throw with right. Bat and golf right. Kick with my left. Ride/board/surf left forward (reverse goofy). Right handed guitar has always felt right to me.

LGOberean likes this.
  3. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

Sounds like you're just ambidextrous to me. I'm what I would call very left handed and still learned guitar right handed. It's been slow progress, but mostly from laziness :p

4. jtcnj

jtcnj Tele-Holic

I am lefty playing righty.
    When I was going to get started about 4 years ago, my brother asked which way I air guitar.
    I didnt know off hand: righty didnt feel weird though lefty felt a little more natural.

He suggested I try righty just because of the equipment availability and here I am today.
    I think I woud pretty much suck just as much lefty.

I played golf lefty at first but switched to righty and was better at it.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My left handed brother in law not only learned to play guitar right handed, he learned to rope right handed just so's he could be a header. Him being a left hander would have been perfect for being a heeler, but he wanted to catch the front of the calf!

RodeoTex likes this.
  6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I wish I were either truly ambidextrous, or truly left or right handed. I can't do anything very well, much less do it well with both hands/feet. Seriously. My writing is atrocious. I can't throw to save my life. And I'm a mediocre guitar and bass player to say the least.

I can ski pretty good. That uses both feet. That's about it.

7. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lefty here but play right handed.

8. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

Yes it is a strange thing. I played Trumpet from elementary school until I graduated high school and yes I played it right handed.

9. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Lefty that plays righty but I am pretty much ambidextrous if I work at something.

I tore up my shoulder during college lifting weights during one of our softball seasons and had a hard time throwing a ball. We needed a player so I moved from first base to third, for two reasons. I was a good fielder and they figured I could knock the ball down and not let it get to the corner of left field saving doubles. Secondly I was pretty good at the hot corner so they figured I could field it and then flip it to the shortstop to throw the runner out.

I took a couple of ground balls before the game and found that if I double clutched the throw I could wing it to first. It was the weirdest thing, I could zing it to first right handed and on target but only if I smacked the ball into my glove one time before I threw it. I tried to just throw it without the double clutch and I threw like a girl. But if I popped my hand with the ball into the glove first I made a good throw.

I play golf lefthanded as well with everything but the putter. I won a right handed Ping putter in a tourney one time and tried putting right handed and I see the line better. I have threatened to change to righty on all the clubs as there are more club options available. But I have found that I suck at golf both left handed and right handed.

Cheap guitar guy likes this.
  10. thatkeithmorris

thatkeithmorris TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I write left handed, most other things right handed, including guitar and scissors.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  11. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I'm an extremely left-handed lefty playing righty. You count Duane Allman, Mark Knopfler, Elvis Costello, Joe Perry, Johnny Winters, Gary Moore, and Billy Corgan in the lefties-playing-righty camp as well. The term ambidextrous is pretty much an insult to a lefty because it means both of your hands are right-handed. Nevertheless I've learned many things cross-handed:

I use a computer mouse or track pad right-handed because I share work stations with right-handers.
    I punt right handed but kick off left handed. Weird, huh?
    Though I catch and throw like a lefty, I am a switch-hitter in baseball and was often used as a cleanup man.
    As a recording engineer I've gotten used to executing master fades with the right hand because the master fader is usually on the right.
    My right-handed father noted that 99% of screws and thus screwdrivers are right-handed and work against the power stroke of a lefty.
    Almost all tools work against a lefty except a measuring tape. Measuring tapes are left handed. I don't know why.
    I shoot rifle and pistol profoundly left handedly. As a result I prefer to shoot semi-auto with "ambi" features. I shoot sharpshooter on an Army three-position test.

More fun facts: Humans see handedly. A typical right handed oriented person scans pictures in a counter-clockwise spiral from the bottom-left corner into the center. A left starts the spiral from the bottom left and goes clockwise. As a result, righties will naturally orient cars and many other objects traveling from right to left.

Your two ears listen differently. On a righty, the left side is used to listen to sustained tones and the left for impulses and sibilants. As a result, a producer/engineer will almost always orient a right-handed drummer in the mix sound field as you would see him on stage but will quite often orient a left-handed drummer from the drummer's perspective because it sounds more normal to him. As a lefty entering the recording field, high-hat on the right used to drive me CRAZY but I taught myself to listen that way and now, thirty-eight years later I am only comfortable with it that way.

Bob

TeleBluesMan and voodoostation like this.
  12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Michael Bloomfield was left handed, but played right handed.

TeleBluesMan likes this.
  13. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

Another lefty. Everything but stringed instruments and a computer mouse. I can use the same crap those pompous right-handers can! I'm also not willing to pay more for left-handed crap. All joking aside, when I took classical guitar in high school, everyone else was a righty. I figured why not, all the difficult stuff was on the neck. That was about 32 years ago and no regrets.

14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Same as OP pretty much.

15. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I'm definitely left handed but the 9yo version of me thought Jimi looked silly playing an upside down guitar. I decided if I ever got a real guitar I'd do it right handed.
    Years later I consciously stated playing golf right handed just because of the better equipment choices.
    Looking back, I wonder if I might have been better at both of these things if I'd allowed nature take its natural course.

16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m also same as the OP.

17. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I'll bet more of us lefties play righty than play lefty. I grew up poor, and there was no way I was getting a left-handed guitar. Later, when I learned to golf, same thing. There are only right handed clubs around to borrow -- so you learn to play that way. I'm a good player, but I totally regret losing the opportunity to learn lefty, or at least to try both.

8barlouie likes this.
  18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

my lefthandedness was thrashed out of me at a young age..... my handwriting is terrible with my right hand as a result.....

though, they couldn't get at my feet... I surf goofy and kick a ball with my stronger left foot....

guitars? I just learned to play the same way as the others (righty's) without any weirdness..... tools I can use with both hands, spanners, hammers, welding, etc...

and I've made as many lefty guitars as rightys..... to be fair..;)... actually I've considered only making lefty guitars as the righty market is saturated....

19. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yeah I do.

20. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

Another lefty here. The nuns and their weaponized rulers tried to beat me into going righty but I persisted.
    Let's see...
    Sousaphone - righty, I guess. I think they only come one way.
    Keyboards - better with my right hand.
    guitar - only right handed
    Ambidextrous for just about all sports
    Even though I am a lefty, my right hand/arm is stronger. Go figure.

Mark

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.