Any Lap Steelers out there?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Platefire, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I've been getting into mine again lately even though I've had it 30+ years and got it at a garage sale.
    I've tried other tuning but haven't found any that work for me better than open E. I just bend my bar around to get what I need. The volume control is located in just the right place for me to incorporate volume swells that helps sound more like a pedal steel. BTW it's a Harmony E-6 Emphasizer. It has a Gibson P-13 Pickup which is worth more than the guitar.

My association with this guitar has been on and off for the last 30 years, so I never got proficient with it--still very much learning. Even though I'm a more a blues rocker on an a regular electric guitar, I tend to lean country on the lap and try to mimic a pedal steel as much as possible or can be done on a lap. Love a great pedal steel sound---think---Fire on the Mountain---Toy Cadwell. Love that sound.

I play it with the bridge/pickup cover and the tone control removed. That all gets in my way.

Platefire

BTW-Welcome everyone to share a pic of their lap and their lap story

Harmony Lap Steel 003.jpg
    Harmony Lap Steel 002.jpg
    Harmony Lap Steel 004.jpg
    Harmony Lap Steel 005.jpg

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've got one of those cheap Rogue lapsteels that Musicians Friend sells. Let's say it has issues. I have it tuned to C6 but I haven't invested the time to learn to play it decently.

I've also built about 20 or so 1 string lap diddley bows but that's really a different animal.

3. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

I love this Peavey Power Slide. You can play it like a guitar and flip it on it's side to play ot like a lap steal.

[​IMG]

muscmp likes this.
  4. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Sometimes I play this one, lap-style.......
    IMG_20180123_171703893.jpg

Jim622, Stringbanger, muscmp and 2 others like this.
  5. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”Any Lap Steelers out there?”

Mean Joe don’t lap dance...but a lyin’ swain may?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Then there's this.......:)

IMG_20180808_124624629.jpg

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

That is a thing of beauty, @Platefire. Very cool. I got into lap steel to play in church. I use it a couple of ways, one is to add some adornment to a song (turnarounds, riffs, etc) and the other is for ambient effect using reverb, stacked delays and a volume pedal.

I don't play it much but I really enjoy it. Usually if I'm planning on using a lap steel in church, I'll dig it out, relearn what I know on it and spend about a week or so fiddling around with it before rehearsals using scratch rhythm tracks created on a loop pedal. I've played open G and C6. The challenge of open turnings are usually the ability to play minor chords. One disappointing thing about lap steel is the fact that changing a tuning usually means a new set of strings. But otherwise, I really enjoy playing it.

Maybe there are some things on my build thread that you'd appreciate. Especially take a look at the tuning PDF I uploaded in post #6. I usually have that thing printed out and use it for reference while I'm going through the periodic relearning process.

Really beautiful lap steel you've got there. If you appreciate pedal steel then you probably already have a volume pedal. If not, they are great for recreating that sound since they can eliminate the attack of the note.

8. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i have a couple and love to play them but i'm like you in that i'm not proficient. the asher i keep in open D while the national is in C6. the national is 1942-48 and i think it is called a wildwood and has the cable attached. the asher is a 2013 and is an electro hawaiian jr. both are great machines.

play music!
    play music! lap1.jpg lap2.jpg asher.jpg

Stringbanger, Jim622, Zepfan and 6 others like this.
  9. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

wonder what that means?
    play music!

10. JuneauMike

11. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

That Harmony is incredibly cool!

I have a nice '46 Gibson BR4. It's a good sounding guitar and it wasn't especially expensive.

[​IMG]

But I also have a ZB Custom pedal steel that gets the lion's shares of slide duties - I've no idea what I'm doing with it but since I mainly make ambient music I can get plenty of interesting results out of it. One day I'll learn to play it properly!

[​IMG]

12. Frank'n'censed

Guess you aint much of a football guy, eh?

13. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I no longer have a true lap steel..I have an acoustic Applause with a nut riser tuned (usually) to open D..
    A Dobro 8 string tuned to open G..
    And an 8 string Stringmaster tined to C6..
    Then my old Blanton pedal steel..
    In the past I've had a Fender Champion 6 string ( from the early 50s)
    that sounded real bad..Think the pickup was shot..
    Two Nationals, Chicagoan, and Rocket..
    A real nice Fender Stringmaster D8..
    National Lap Steels.jpg

14. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Mine. I usually use resonators so I made this one 25 inch scale to match. steel.JPG

Jim622 and Stringbanger like this.
  15. JuneauMike

Real football, or the UK thing that they call "football?" Cause I'm a football guy and I don't get it either. Mean Joe Green reference, maybe?

16. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Very nice. Those amps ain't too bad either. ;)

muscmp likes this.
  17. Frank'n'censed

my typical wordplay;

Steelers = Pittsburgh Steelers
    Mean Joe Green was one of the most famous players of the era = juxtaposed Mean with lap dance, (hopeful) humour
    Lynn Swann, (one of the dynastic Steelers & greatest recievers in NFL history) = lyin’ swain

18. JuneauMike

Ha, got it! I'm old enough to remember watching both of them play. Mean Joe Green also had that very famous Coke commercial. And "Lyin'" practiced ballet in the off season to improve his game.

Frank'n'censed likes this.
  19. Frank'n'censed

I’ve never tried playing slide, lap style...which is absolutely bizarre, considering my affinity for the music?

20. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

haven't been into sports for at least 30 years. too many projects to do to turn the tv on. even then, i wouldn't have been able to figure that out.
    play music!

Frank'n'censed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.