Any KENDRICK Amp Lovers Here?

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by dmarcus30, May 9, 2011.

1. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

I bought a Black Gold 15 in 2001 based on the GP review and I'm glad I did. Great Class A tone at low volume and with two output stages I can mix or match power tubes. Anybody here have a Kendrick, any model?

2. dusterood

dusterood TDPRI Member

Yup. A Black Gold 50. Heavy and Loud. Scored it on ebay for $600. Great sound, 3 knob reverb. Built to survive anything. only mods planned are 1/2 power switch and tilt legs.

3. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

Yep, I've had my Kendrick Black Gold 35 for 5 years now and I still love it. Its the 2x10 version which Gerald told me was only a custom order. Great amp, when you bridge the channels it really opens up new tones. Great amp! From Charley's Guitar Shop, used for $900. If I found a Black Gold 15 I would buy it too.

4. dmarg1045

dmarg1045 Friend of Leo's

A reverb tank is sort of a 'lil amp without a speaker:

[​IMG]

I've had it since the early '90s.

5. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I love Kendrick Amps!

Around 92 I bought one of the original 4212 Kendrick amps, tweed, hand wired.. Then around 2000 I traded it back to Gerald Weber for one of his Gig Rig amps (now called the K spot).

Then last year my 20 year old son attended Kendrick's Build Your Own Amp Camp. He build this New Joyzee Amp for me. Its amazing!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A truly priceless one of a kind amp that I'll treasure forever. I love Kendrick amps!

6. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Nice to hear from you guys! As you know, Gerald was one of the first, if not THE first, amp builder to go old school and improve on the great designs of the 50s and 60s. I've learned more in talking to him for 10 minutes than doing hours of research on my own from often inaccurate and conflicting sources. You can take what Gerald says to the bank. And I did!
    I use only Kendrick Pure Nickel strings, no other brand I've tried even comes close, and I have half a dozen Klotz cables. The best!
    My GAS really took off when I bought the BG 15 and a Strat and P Bass the same day and then went down the rabbit hole of NOS tube addiction. Currently, I'm running a Tung Sol black plate 6550 and a Brimar 6V6 with a mix of USA pre tubes.
    LOVE to jumper the channels in my BG 15 and soak up that delicious harmonic goodness coming through the FANE 2x10s and 100 year old pine cab. It sounds awesome with Fenders or with a Les Paul and takes pedals really well although I find that I prefer plugging straight in with a Klotz La Grange cable.
    How about that Kendrick reverb? Drench-o-rama, with the fine control of a 3 knob control set.
    I only wish I could afford a So-Lo or a K-Spot!

7. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

As you guys know if you get the Kendrick newsletter, Gerald plans to retire in a little over a year from now. Who else besides me is on a leaves-and-ice cubes diet to try to afford another Kendrick amp before he pulls the plug?

8. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Gerald Weber is going to retire? Oh no!!! :eek:

Gerald is a great guy and he deserves a long and happy relaxing life up on his ranch in Kempner TX. I hope Kendrick is somehow able to continue without him, tho it won't be the same.

9. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Kendrick Amps on EBay!!!

Here is a link to the auction for the last Black Gold 15! Click on 'See Other Items' to see the other gems offered by Gerald himself. He's clearing out inventory and there are some great deals to be had here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENDRICK-BLACK-GOLD-15-combo-amp-/150735217082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231884e1ba

10. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Your wish for a BG 15 is here!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENDRICK-BLACK-GOLD-15-combo-amp-/150735217082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231884e1ba

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just found this thread.
    Been in touch with Gerald concerning the 2410 BadAssMan I've recently picked up.
    He doesn't seem to have retired!
    DSCN4478.JPG

12. myersbw

myersbw TDPRI Member

So, this year I did a swap for this beast. At first glance, you'd think it was a Kendrick reverb...and, yes, he did build it in a reverb cab! But, it's Gerald's enhanced take on a 5E3 circuit. One channel and quite a tube lineup! With a pair of 8" speakers squeezed in, it makes for quite a portable (and amazing!) acoustic amp. Paired with a Tele, it's awesome!! Strat is fine...humbucker is "almost" over the top.

There was no name to this amp. It was a one-off custom build for a retired businessman dealing with military contracts. (Would love to know if it belonged to who I think it did.) Anyways, I wrote Gerald and asked him to name it for me...he dubbed this the 'Caldonia' after James Brown's remake of the song.

About two months back, I build another baffle with the same grill cloth (you're seeing the original in these pics) and installed a couple Celestion 8" speakers and they do it justice. The Lansings in it originally were fine, but one was blown and had a poor repair. So, it was time.

The build year is January, 1992. So it's early. Note the tube chart...6 tubes for one channel and it's a very crystal clean, sight breakup style amp! Actually quite amazing.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    triviani and FenderLover like this.
  13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Unique amp. Cool!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.