Any keepers among the current crop of Fender pedals???

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by E5RSY, Oct 24, 2018.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Never been impressed with past offerings, but these look like they might have some merit.

Scott

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I noodled with the green reverb pedal... I think it was called the Marine Layer. It was pretty cool. Great atmospheric tones. The pre-delay is a nice feature that you don't often find on pedals at this price point. I heard some of the dirt pedals while at Guitar Center, but they didn't really do enough for me to take the time to sit with one. I am not really a dirt pedal user for the most part. I like to get the crunch from the amp and apply a clean boost if needed.

3. E5RSY

Same here on dirt.

The other stuff looks like it may be worth a try (I do love reverb). They definitely seem to be going for a Strymon-esque vibe aesthetically.

Scott

4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

The price is pretty good on the Fender reverb from what I remember - it was right in line with Boss, TC, etc. On the other hand, the Strymon stuff is certainly more expensive and there is far more under the hood in regards to tweaking. That said, some of the pricing on the Fender dirt pedals was fairly high with one at $200. I was surprised that they were futzing with that end of the market.

5. E5RSY

Yeah, $200 is a bit much.

The LED-backlit knobs they all sport are a pretty nice touch.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Engager boost/eq is one that peaks my interest the most.

Singles Forever and E5RSY like this.
  7. Singles Forever

Singles Forever TDPRI Member

I just bought the Engager Boost. It's actually the one pedal I would keep if I could only keep one. It just makes every single thing sound better. You know how when you listen to your amp and you think to yourself "this amp sounds great I just wish it were a little more.....blah blah"? This will achieve that cleanly without any kind of tone degradation. I've shown it to three guitarists at my studio and all of them said they were going to buy it.

A good example would be my Fender Supersonic gain channel. I like it a lot, but I always wished it was a little bit more open sounding, with a tad less mids, and a tad more sparkle, and a little more full in the bass. The amp EQs didn't seem to achieve that cleanly due to their bandwidths and being post drive. The engager Boost magically accomplished it so perfectly and stunningly that I find myself addicted to that gain channel and shaking my head in ecstasy as I play it constantly. There's nothing I can think of that would make the tone better.

Today a buddy of mine was playing through it and I disengaged it to show him the difference...he started yelling at me and I got a bit scared LOL. Then he said " this is perfect Blues tone " in a thick French Canadian accent.

It's clean, and it's powerful.

mgreene and kevsonic like this.
  8. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I like fender guitars, amps and picks but for some reason there are products in which I don't look to fender for. Pedals being one of them. Fairly high dollar for a company that doesn't have a consistent history of producing pedals. But that's just my opinion.

Singles Forever likes this.
  9. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

That Engager does look sweet. So does the Santa Ana, though I hear the boost's level isn't easy to adjust (?), which is a weird difficulty for anything with a boost to have. The Pinwheel, Marine Layer, and Pugilist all have good reputations already. The Pelt Fuzz has been compared to the Carcosa, which is a win in my opinion.

10. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Thats very interesting. Is it better-er in some way beyond just being a buffer?

I find that my favorite amps all sound better with pedals in front that buffer the signal - w/o them, the amps still sound good but seem just a little "dry".

11. Singles Forever

In another thread we were just talking about how this is a common mentality, and is likely behind why these pedals aren't dominating the market.

Les H likes this.
  12. Singles Forever

The reason I like it has nothing to do with the buffer. Or the pretty blue lights. I like it because the EQ on it just makes my amps sound incredible, and makes them do what I always secretly wanted them to do.

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I like that Santa Ana, the clips I've heard
    But for something kinda similar, and cheaper, I like the sounds of the Keeley White Sands clips I've heard better

coloradojeff and Singles Forever like this.
  14. J-fish

J-fish Tele-Meister

I have the Pelt fuzz since some time now, and it's staying in the pedalboard. It's not one of those sputtery-gated kind of fuzz like it's referred to be. It's actually very versatile, with a usable gain range that's nice and can be well used from the lowest settings, which is something I usually find difficult to do with fuzzes. The depth and mid switch made it suitable with my rig without any issues. I'm really happy with it

Singles Forever likes this.
  15. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

I like the Santa Ana OD. Great tone and lots of flexibility. The Marine Layer Reverb sounds exactly like my Fender original tube reverb box. They did well on these two.

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sure it doesn't sound that good with a Divorcer running after it.

kevsonic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.