1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Jeff Healey fans out there? - just wondering about his gear...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by joel_ostrom, May 21, 2008.

1. Madmaestro

Madmaestro Tele-Meister

Rob or Broken Joe, I remember seeing Jeff on his first Canadian tour and have been a fan ever since. My question is why did Jeff choose to use a Peavey Bandit 112 onstage for his concert at the Jubilee Auditorium in Edmonton? Would it possibly be because of a volume or feedback problem in that auditorium? It's funny, being 18 years old and impressionable, I probably gigged 10 years with the same Peavey amp after seeing that...LOL

2. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

I'm happy to see this thread come around again.
    I missed it the first time.
    Thanks for all the info & insight into one of the greatest & most amazing musicians I've ever had the pleasure of seeing & hearing in my life.

3. ggiles

ggiles Tele-Meister

Jeff Healey was the man! I remember seeing him in concert at Loyalist College 1993 or there about. He is one of the reasons I picked up the guitar after 15+ years of not playing. When you hear his guitar playing on the radio ... you know exactly who it is!

Pure inspiration!

4. RobQ

RobQ TDPRI Member

Hey Joe, great to read (and hear) you!!

Madmaestro, Jeff in fact owned a Peavey Bandit 112 for a few years, before he got is first Marshall, so the reason why he might have had it on that gig is because that was his stage rig at the time. That amp was a total piece of crap but Jeff was able to make it sing, because he could make anything sing.

Joe is right, jeff was not at all picky about gear. He did really really like the Protube Twin he picked up a few years ago.

T-Barnes, basically anything in the signal chain that could increase gain, jeff cranked. Blues Driver, GE7, compressor. Then he set up his amp, which in the final few years was a Twin, really loud and clean, and he sat close to it so he could get all kinds of outrageous feedback effects.

5. Ronetele

Ronetele TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

i just 'discovered' Jeff for myself about a month ago when a friend made an casual reference to the club that is named for him in Toronto. he is an inspired & inspiring e-guitar player - no doubt and duh. but what really gets me is to watch his hands. the hands of a great player (on any instrument) seem to have an energy and lifefulness in them that is missing from those of the more ordinary players. Jeff had that for sure. and while admitidly a new comer to his music (especially true in the presence of the several esteemed posters here who knew and played with Jeff) after listening/watching Jeff on youTube for several hours, i choose this clip as my favorite and wanted to share it with you

Jeff Healey Band - When the Night Comes falling ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6k9vECusTA

6. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

I just found this thread and really enjoyed reading about Jeff, his music, and his gear. Since I play a couple of Squiers through a Pro Jr., the above quote really grabbed my attention!

brokenjoe -- can you tell me if used the PJ straight, or did he use cranked Boss pedals? Or something else?

He was one of the greats, and he is sorely missed.

7. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

Heh! Zombie thread!!!

He used either pedals, or none, depending on the sound/song. Jeff was a musical chef.

I've still got a few pedals he gave to me.

The best way to approximate his sound is to turn the amp up full blast, and use your tone and volume controls to adjust your sound. I've see Jeff sit in with tons of bands, and that's pretty much what he'd do when he got up to play. Turn everything up, and go from there!

8. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Whoa, thanks for the quick update.

That turning up the amp full blast sounds kind of dangerous, esp. at the blues jams I go to! But I'll try it, in Jeff's honor (or honour, I should say). If I get booted off, I'll just say, "hey, this is for Jeff Healey, man!"

Thanks again.

9. brokenjoe

Heh! The trick is riding your volume so you don't blow away either the singer, or any other soloists while they're doing their thing!

10. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

I'll have to work on that. Thanks for the tips and the inside info on Jeff's music.

I go to Canada regularly -- we have kids in Kingston and Ottawa, and I'm always looking for blues scenes when I visit. I'll have to hit TO one of these times.

11. supernewt

supernewt Tele-Meister

I remember a poster sometime around 1990 that said something like "Win a Fender Guitar Just like Jeff Healey's" -- only problem is that in the photo Jeff was playing a "lawsuit" Fernandes.

12. Bobb2

Bobb2 Tele-Meister

Like a few others in this thread, I was lucky enough to be able to spend some time with Jeff in the early days. His "explanation" for playing Squiers was that he could afford good Strats but if he walked into a wall with a Squier, he wouldn't care as much as if it was a real Strat that got broken.

13. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

jeff healey the real canadian guitar legend bluesman & jazz artist

rip

bw

14. brokenjoe

Yup. Jeff played guitars out of practicality, and how things sounded -not on how they look. A very good lesson that we could all learn from.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't want to bring up the obvious, but if he wasn't blind he may have wanted a sparkle guitar!

16. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

Thanks for that one brokenjoe. Priceless banter at the end!

17. brokenjoe

Jeff never let his blindness slow him down. I have played catch with him, watched T.V., and sat in the passenger seat in a vehicle telling him what to do while HE DROVE!!!! :lol: Ahhh..... good times on the road!

In fact, I seem to recall it was somewhere out your way in B.C.!! Wouldn't THAT have made a great headline if we hadda gotten busted?

"Jeff Healy arrested for driving a motor vehicle. ......some nobody in the passenger seat was giving him instructions."

"Law Officers bewildered, because he has no license to be taken away!"

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm recalling a Trivial Pursuit Question; "What R and B singer crashed his Corvette on the same day he bought it?"
    "Ray Charles"

19. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

This is a great thread. Thanks brokenjoe for the memories!

My favorite CD is Live at Montreux. Has some great backing players on there too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.