Any investment fund experts here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Robbied_216, May 6, 2015.

1. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Solid advice.. I prefer Vanguard but Fidelity is fine. It should be noted that some of their funds are dogs as well.. For the long haul it's pretty tough to beat a S&P index fund.

2. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nothing wrong with accumulating information, good idea. The common answer among those who have dealt with investments is to find a trusted financial adviser and get into a life partnership with them. Its a long term road at your age. Interview like you would a doctor. Nothing wrong with looking at similar likes and dislikes. My brother's and my adviser rides motorcycles and has developed a personal relationship. He knows us and what our comfort levels are. While he is in it to make money he also has developed a friendship and built trust.

Really smart approaching this at your age!!

3. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

:D:D:D

4. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

There are a number of retired guys or guys nearing retirement.. It wouldn't have been my first choice to go to for advice but whenever the topic pops up plenty of good advice is shared. I like your reasoning that the site isn't populated by guys trying to make a living selling advice.

Great advice on living debt free and within your means.

5. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks all for the advice!

6. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

Are you kidding? This is an internet forum for musicians. OF COURSE there are plenty of investment fund experts here! :)

7. Robbied_216

One thing I have learned over time....

Often the guys with the biggest guitar collections and best studios are either rock stars, doctors or finance guru's.....

Ya just never know! ;)

8. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

I know, and you're obviously not an idiot. I just thought it made for an amusing aside. :)

9. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I heard guitar stores get paid so I get advice on what is best guitar for me from gas station attendant. No commission.

10. Robbied_216

I work for a gear manufacturer. Our retailers get "credits" they can use to cash in on gear based on the amount of our gear of ours they sell. When someone walks into a shop, is the shop attendant going to recommend the competitor, for which they might get a T shirt every now and then, or our products for which they get great rewards they can turn into gear themselves???

Do I agree, not necessarily. It means the clerk at the store has a financial gain to sell one product over another. Its business... Its capitalism.

And by the way, I would listen to the advice of the gas station attendant as much as I would anyone else, as you just never know what wisdom could be gathered. I had a friend who was a muso and worked part time as a gas station attendant. He's still a muso, yet as an entrepeneur makes more money while he is asleep from other business than he makes as a musician. You can bet your paycheck I'd take his advice.....

11. Robbied_216

I want to make one thing clear to any of the younger (or young at heart) people reading this thread.

Make it your own business to educate yourself when it comes to finance. Ironically we find it so easy to learn to tell the difference in tone between birds eye maple and curly maple, yet when it comes to our own finances we often think "Oh its too confusing.. I'll leave it to the experts". Its in your best interest to know exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it.

I never want to be in a situation personally where I am trusting someone to make a decision I don't understand. Not suggesting I won't enlist the help of others with more wisdom and experience, but I want to know without a doubt that I understand exactly what is going with my money, that essentially anyone I contract to manage is going to want to take a piece of. I'm OK with that as long as them taking a piece of it doesn't take precedent over my capital. (Sadly it often does in this world).

I stand by the fact, I think a Tele forum is a perfect place to talk about topics like this. Because a Tele forum is full of regular Joe's like myself, and not salesmen. I don't really care to hear from a salesman about a product, I want to hear from someone that has used it themselves.

Just like guitars ;)

12. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I agree with you, totally. The more information is out there about something, the better your decisions are. And , c'mon guys, we've talked about stranger stuff on the Bad Dog.

Personally, I use T. Rowe Price to manage my IRA account and I have a separate 401k through my employer. If I leave, I will roll the 401k into the IRA to avoid any penalties.

What really complicates your situation is the different finance laws between Australia and the US. I have no idea what kind of hurdles that adds, but I seriously recommend talking to an expert- or at least someone who can put you in touch with an expert.

13. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Yeah Robbie, the scope of members here is a good place to throw out any life questions and get feedback. If we disagree that's cool too cos we all love Telecasters.
    Some folks are touchy re talking money and income, like how did you afford that many nice guitars and amps in a home with view of Monte Carlo harbour?

As an Aussie in the USA I'd be firstly finding out what the tax deal is re moving investment assets back n forth between the two countries. You could be double taxed is what I'm saying.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.