1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any interest in the 2013 Gibson Les Paul J?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WhatDoIKnow, Jan 22, 2013.

1. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

Not to be confused with a "Junior". Not sure why Gibson chose that designation.

Link to Gibson's Site

$699 at MF.

Looks like these might be taking that place of the Studio Faded line as the entry level LP. I can't find many "new" Fadeds in stock at the major online retailers.

I had my mind made up that I was getting a Studio this year. Still may look at the used market for that. I think the "J" looks interesting, but I am not a fan of the black pickup cover.

2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I had a Les Paul "The Paul - Firebrand" in the 80's. This reminds me of my old guitar.

[​IMG]

$699? That's a lot of value (I think).

The Chocoalte one is my favorite.

3. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

I'd bet that they are replacing the worn studio. Lots of value for sure, but too modern/ugly for me.

4. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

Yes. I would have been looking for a Brown Faded Studio, so the Chocolate seems to be the closest finish match.

5. Dwills94

Dwills94 Tele-Meister

I literally wouldn't buy it just because of those pickup covers. I would rather them be uncovered than that ugly as sin flat black.

6. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

Someone on another forum said the covers can't be removed, but I would like to see for myself.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

7. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

It is apparently Gibson's attempt to provide a carved top LP at a bargain basement price.

I can see those banjo tuners on a Firebird, but to my eyes they look out of place on a Les Paul.

8. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

It's too fugly. Is chrome that expensive?

9. Dwills94

Dwills94 Tele-Meister

or you could just rip the stupid things out and replace them because lets be honest you will have a little extra money laying around after you get this for a steal in the clearance section. no one is going to buy these. Firebird x, the Robot series, and every other attempt at gibson to go aggressively modern has failed. the latest example the optional Min-Etuner

10. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

When I was in a Sam Ash buying a Midtown, my #4 son was checking out Les Pauls. He tried an LPJ and fell in love with it and bought it then & there. His is light weight and acoustically loud and resonant. It has a chunky 50's neck made of maple. The thin satin finish on the neck feels great. The gold Gibson logo on the headstock is larger than a normal silkscreen logo.

11. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

The pups are pretty standard Gibson 490R and 498T, just with different covers. I guess I am not seeing how that is going "aggressively modern" on the LPJ. :confused:

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Reminds of "The Paul". I miss mine. I like the white one. Although if I end up with one, I'll scrap the partial chrome and go all black hardware.

490R and 498T is one of my favorite all time Gibby pickup combos. Great sounding pickups, especially the 490R. I do want to find out about those covers... The 498 always sounds better to me naked. Removing the covers on those always seems to "open" them up just the right amount.

13. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

So, what does the J stand for?

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Juszkiewicz, of course :eek:

15. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I wonder why they went with black covers instead of just uncovering them?

They're nice, though. And for that price, you can't beat it.

16. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

It is strange. I want to see one in person. The covers look plastic to me.

17. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Maybe it's a psychological marketing thing to make you want to upgrade to the shiny, shiny Standard?

Forget it, those covers can't be that hard to pop off. Gibson can say they don't come off all they want, they don't reckon with a bunch of Tele guys poking around under the hood...

18. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

Exactly. They may be soldered on, but I don't think a little melted metal has ever stopped this crew.

I am leaning more towards this guitar unless I find a great deal on a used Studio. I would hope someone has one in hand and can give the low down on the pup covers before I decide to make a purchase.

19. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

Not my cup of tea at all. Looks cheap, and I never liked that flat black EMG pickup cover look. Too metaloid for me.

20. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

a lot of the younger generation like the metal music...maybe that is why they went with that EMG pickup cover look. Maybe Gibson is going after that market with the cost and look.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.