Any injuries that prevented you from playing?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by axlej11, May 3, 2016.

1. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

I've searched and could not find a thread with this topic.. so here it is. If there is one please speak up and I appologize if one is already made. Anyway..

Any of you guys ever have an injury that prevented you from playing for a significant amount of time?

I just recently did a good one, forcing me to put a project I want to persue on the back burner. Smashed my left ring finger up pretty good. Moving rocks at a fire, rock weighed at least 70 pounds, dropped it and I was still holding it as I lost grip. Split my finger down the right side of it and pulled back the nail. Skin was hanging off, I'm pretty sure I saw bone. Finger is discolored and needed to be stitched and am soon getting x-rays. Unless I learn to play lefty, I cant fully play for a while.

Tele1966 likes this.
  2. jdto

jdto TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Ouch, that sucks! I am currently dealing with repetitive strain injuries in my left hand and wrist, so haven't played in a couple of weeks. I don't know when I'll be able to play again, but yours sounds pretty rough.

axlej11 and Tele1966 like this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Not me so far (knock wood), but my FIL got his left index finger pulled into his jointer (wearing gloves :rolleyes:). Took a bit off the tip, and that wrecked him for several years. He actually thought he'd never play again, but in the last coupla years he's started playing bass in a hawaiian band, so I guess he's recovered.

Tele1966 and jdto like this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was having fun and moving pretty good at learning technique, playing and having my hands do what I wanted them to do, and then my right hand went numb I could not feel if I was holding anything and I dropped everything I held. I went for the barrage xrays , catscans, MRI's etc what showed up was a massive hernia at C4-C5 in my neck an ancient injury that had ruptured so bad I was deteriorating dailyand the nerves were damaged from C4-C5 to between my shoulder blades. 2 spinal fusions later and I can now get myself to play not near as well as I was doing before, But Im determined to have fun.
    Give yourself time to heal and go slow only you will know if you can do it , but for gods sake dont push it or you may do more damage, sincerly sorry to hear about this.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    axlej11, Tele1966 and jdto like this.
  5. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

I feel for you OP. I broke two fingers, lost 4 pints of blood internally and broke a toe in a motorcycle accident two summers ago, We had to cancel gigs for the summer.

I played keys over the summer to keep myself occupied, I encourage you to consider something similar. I suggested our band continue to practice with a backup guitarist and this also kept me occupied learning our songs on keys. It'll be a worrisome time for you OP, just hang in there until everything heals.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    axlej11 likes this.
  6. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I crushed the tip of my lh middle finger in a car door when I was learning guitar. I kept on learning, without using it, and it was literally decades before I got into the habit of making full use of it.

Dave Hole plays slide overhand, because he broke his arm while he was learning. It seems that short term disabilities can have long term affects if they occur during a formative period.

24 track, axlej11 and Tele1966 like this.
  7. rave

rave Tele-Holic

I had a pinched nerve in my neck that numbed two fingers on my left hand for almost a year. Apparently the combination of craddling a phone on my shoulder, playing guitar, working on a computer all day mixed with lots of racquetball isnt great for you. I hope you heal fast.

8. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Wow that must of sucked royally. I've got Raynaud's and occasional numb fingers drive me bonkers.

jdto and 24 track like this.
  9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Amputation ( and re-attach ) of the tip of my right hand ring finger and major internal trauma to that hand meant a change in playing for me. I have to use a pick now for single note stuff though I can still 'Wilko' for hours. My hand went through a moving drive chain. Reads far worse than it was!
    A couple of years after that I missed with a hammer and brought it down full force on the tip of my left index finger. Break time and lost the nail for a few months and other than a small scar, no evidence remains of that.
    Things heal, give it time. The worst part was rebuilding the callouses.

24 track likes this.
  10. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ya mean like "the unfortunate hedge-trimmer incident" as Mrs Deeve likes to call it?
    (trigger alert - stitches involved)

Slide employed for abt 6 weeks...
    Peace - Deeve

axlej11 likes this.
  11. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to hear about your accident. That really sucks. I fractured my fretting hand wrist about 16-17yrs ago dumping my motorbike. I had to wear a cast for 6 weeks up to my elbow. Luckily I had no gigs lined up during that time.

I hope the OP makes a fast recovery!!!

12. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

Thanks guys, y'all have some interesting stories as well! Glad to hear you're all alright!

13. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I cut the tips of a few fingers on my left hand back in 1991, I ran them through the countershaft sprocket/ chain of my RZ350 race bike while riding.....

I play lefty, so this slowed me down a bit. IMG_20160504_242038140.jpg

14. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

That must have been difficult to work through. You must really love the guitar.

15. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

cutting your fingers never stopped tommy Iommy ! it s one one of my big fear in life, not being able to play guitar. But if it happens, i m going to play whatever i can play, harp, steel, triangle... if you can keep your eyes from the ladies, you ll notice the bass player doesnt have a hand

16. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Smashed my left index finger flat with a hammer finishing up a barn this past summer 2 days before a gig. Couldn't play for several weeks. Hang in there.

17. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yes, love the guitar, I'm just not really good at playing!! ;)

Love my RZ350, still have that bike, soon it will be 421cc and around 90 HP or so, I wounded a piston last year, so that gave me an excuse to make the motor bigger and stronger.... ;)

I have 13 guitars, but only 4 motorcycles, I think I need a FZ-09 Yamaha, and another Telecaster!!!!!

24 track likes this.
  18. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Index finger of my fretting hand cut off between the first and second knuckle and sewn back on. The tip joint is frozen in a bent over position. I learned over again how to play everything but bar chords with the other 3 fingers.
    I didn't play for at least 6 months, and the learning over took a little time.

19. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

while you are down from ordinary playing, you could use this time to work on slide, using your little finger.

20. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I'm an old codger.

About ten years ago I had a tendonitis flare up so bad that it put me in a cast for 6 months and super heavy doses of Nsaids that ended up giving me stomach issues. I didnt play for several months and when I did start back up, I had to change a lot of old bad habits and get rid of almost all my current guitars, and get new ones with fatter necks and huge frets.

This sucked in particular because I had just more or less just finished making an album with a pretty good southern rock band and with me out of the picture for months... lets just say bands are like sharks.. they stop moving and they die.

Recently I've had a lot of ear trouble and its pretty scary. I dont know what I'm going to do going forward.

Good luck to you... if I can get thru all this crap, you can too!

axlej11 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.