Any info on the Olson S-712 in my Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Wendelgee2, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Wendelgee2

Wendelgee2 TDPRI Member

Hi folks,
    Anybody have more information on this s-712 Olson speaker in my '66 Reverberocket 2?

I found this old Olson catalog from 1968 saying it's actually a Jensen-made bass speaker??
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/FpxVAie37thZtUA86

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the forum. Do you have pictures of the speaker with the EIA code that will contain the date? Since it is a Jensen speaker, the code may start with 220 and be followed by three digits….one for the last digit of the year and two for the week of the year. If it does have a Jensen code, it will be ink-stamped on the edge of the frame.
    It seems odd that Ampeg would place a bass speaker in a guitar amp.

3. Wendelgee2

Wendelgee2 TDPRI Member

Hi Wally, Thanks for the welcome. No dice. The only thing marked on the speaker basket is just a repeat of the model number. Here is the back of the speaker, for what it's worth.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

4. Wally

Do you have a picture of the entire speaker?

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, a pic of the entire speaker, front and back, will confirm whether or not it's a Jensen.

Chances are pretty good the speaker was swapped in by a previous owner.

6. Wendelgee2

Wendelgee2 TDPRI Member

Sure, of course. Don't have the special screwdriver to get the back off yet, but here's my level best at shooting it inside the cabinet.

Just saw the other comment about photographing the front. I'll look into it.

To clarify, I'm not really curious if it's an authentic Jensen. I think it's clear from the catalog that it's an Olson house brand speaker manufactured by Jensen. I'm more curious if this is a usual Ampeg stock speaker or option (no listings on Reverb include it), if it is likely a replacement, if it is in fact primarily a bass speaker, and if its performance is likely inappropriate in this amp.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  7. Wally

That speaker does not look like any Jensen speaker I have ever seen, but I have not seen everything. That appears to be a cast frame speaker. I have never seen a cast frame Jensen. Learning can be for me on this subject.
    I am still of the opinion that that speaker is not original to that amp.

8. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

That is a speaker originally intended for home audio. The triaxial construction of this one here is why I asked for a pic of the front of the speaker.

[​IMG]

Olson was a discount electronics/stereo supplier based in Akron, Ohio...sort of like Lafayette and Radio Shack. They were not a manufacturer; they bought items from many different suppliers and slapped their own labels on them, or ordered runs of components from manufacturers on contract.

I don't know who the OEM is for that speaker; I've never seen a cast-frame unit like that from any of the big names. Possibly made by Teledyne, which became Acoustic Research years later.

This does not necessarily make it a bad speaker for a guitar amp. Many speakers intended as woofers for home audio make pretty nice guitar speakers.

Wally likes this.
  9. Wendelgee2

Wendelgee2 TDPRI Member

Hmmm...what you posted here is not an s-712 model. I am not sure it's intended for home audio. If you head back to the top of the post, you'll see the catalog entry for this speaker. It's specifically a musical instrument speaker, though marked as being for bass.

Good info on Olson being like Radio Shack. That's reinforcing the prevailing theory that there is very little chance this is stock.

Peegoo likes this.
  10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

My guess is a 66 RR 2 would've had a CTS alnico originally. That's just a not real well educated guess. Not sure if anyone has really done a good study on 60s Ampeg speakers? My limited experience is the early RRs had Jensen and then about 65(ish) CTS.
    If that speaker sounds good run with it. If not I've found I like "British" speakers in my earlier Reverberockets. Those are completely different circuits than your amp however, not even one tube in common. And of course we all like to hear different things.

11. Wendelgee2

Wendelgee2 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info. I snagged an Eminence Legend GB128 to plop into it when I get the chance. It's both extremely efficient and from what I read a nice well-rounded speaker... British voiced, as you mentioned above. That Olsen might be alright, but I wanted the extra volume anyway, so it stays cleaner longer when I run a lap steel through it.

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.