Any info on SX VTG series with a Top-loader?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Oldskoolzcar, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Oldskoolzcar

Oldskoolzcar TDPRI Member

Purchased this a few days ago locally and have been intrigued by it as I can't seem to find any information on it. Super nice feeling guitar with a 1 piece maple neck with lots of grain and a very nice gloss finish. It plays as well or better than basically any other T-style guitar I've picked up. I did notice the bridge pickup seems very hot for a stock pickup, but the original purchaser said he hasn't changed anything but the strings.
    All of the SX guitars I've seen have been string-through. Whats the deal with this oddball?

Can anybody shed some light here for me?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

I want one of these and I would like to know if that headstock can be shaped into a traditional tele shape? nice guitar man!

3. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

I can tell by looking that it most likely can't. Doesn't appear to be enough wood in the right places. Maybe I'm wrong though.

ben smith likes this.
  4. Oldskoolzcar

Thanks Man!
    There's not a whole lot of wood left to do anything with. The newer models seem to have quite a bit more wood in the headstock,

ben smith likes this.
  5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I think you can shape that headstock. Some teles have larger knobs on the end than others. My MIM is smaller, and I think its profile would fit.

Not sure about the top loader, but I think those bridges are predrilled for string-thru. I converted a similar knock off to string thru easily.

PS - I expanded the first pic, and it does have six holes for string-thru. Not saying you need to convert it, but the option is there.

ben smith likes this.
  6. Oldskoolzcar

I had thought about possibly drilling it and putting ferrules in but, honestly, it sounds fantastic the way it is. Just seemed kinda odd that this is the only SX I've seen that wasn't string through.

bender66 likes this.
  7. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've done a lot messing with traditional three Barrel Bridges making them top-load.

Some guitar sound great top-loaded others not so I have found

Since your sounds really good, I would leave it.
    And in time if you feel it's a little too slinky and loosey-goosey, go up a full string gauge or a half a string gauge

Nice guitar!!

bender66 likes this.
  8. Oldskoolzcar

I think I'm gonna leave it as is. I have no issues with it being nice and slinky. I'm mostly an acoustic player so my fingers are thrilled with the lower string tension and 10's.

That Cal Webway and bender66 like this.
  9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

You can & I have. You have to flub it a bit but it can work out really well. Not exact but close enough for Rock & Roll. I think these Furrian headstock have gotten ever so smaller later. Maybe not.

I had a brand new Furrian one of these just sitting in the box. I have way too many teles so it got sold off. I bought it from Rondo because you dont see these come along ever (toploader, ashtray, nat finish). Has a fantastic fattish neck too, yes? Have never seen these listed again.
    image (2).jpg

Nice grab. I still have a STL62 in a box too. I need help. :)

ben smith and That Cal Webway like this.
  10. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

people might ask well why bother shape the headstock? these have a 10" or 12" radius don't they? i would like that. anyway yes it is close enough for rock n roll i think! 49195770663_ec7279aa5e_k.jpg

That Cal Webway and bender66 like this.
  11. bender66

Here's some I did. These are all SX's from Rondo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This IS a neck off your/our model. It has a truss adjust at the heel. Guy I bought it from augered out the headstock "looking for the truss rod". I filled it badly with a walnut putty in the shape of a plug.
    [​IMG]
    You could always cut flush the headstock & glue/clamp more wood like others have done but that was pre Furrian headstock as I recall. Not sure if you could with the tip of these headstocks now. I'm sure someone is creative enough a woodworker.

The newer headstocks have gone back toward the more Fendery look. They're more pleasant looking. Honestly they're great guitars just as they are. I would leave the toploader (i did) & neck. Or just buy another neck with the headstock you desire. Sometimes Kurt lists necks for sale on Rondo.

Here's some more off my imgur I found.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That Cal Webway likes this.
  12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing wrong with a toploader. I'm about to build a L P Jr any day now and that only has a wrap around bridge and nut.

bender66 likes this.
  13. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Looks like SX does a nicer job of matching the grain on the faces of the OP's and others' guitars here than is found with many other suppliers, including Squier. Beautiful!

bender66 likes this.
  14. Oldskoolzcar

Oh I'm thrilled with the fit and finish of this guitar. I'll leave the top-loader alone as it sounds fantastic as is and the strings are slinky-er. Put a fresh set of Curt Mangan 9-42's on this morning and it made a world of diffrence.
    Yes it does have a thicker, almost Les Paul style, neck. Coming from an acoustic background, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. If someone were used to playing something like an Ibanez RG I cound see how it might be an issue.

bender66 likes this.
  15. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

To the OP: I'd certainly leave that as a top loader, especially if you like how it plays. I'd love to have one like it!

I bought three SX's some years back and converted them to Esquires, with great results. Changed all electronics and installed vintage style hardware, and reshaped & refinished headstocks. Hardest part was matching the tinted neck finish. Fun projects!

I sold the last SX Tele I bought several years ago for two reasons: 1) They had gone to a thinner 1-5/8"body and I disliked the staggered string thru holes. It was really nicely finished - double bound black body, but thinner body just did not look or feel"right". Never did anything with that one - sold it all stock.

Did not know SX had made 1 piece maple necks - all mine were 2 piece with maple fingerboard glued to neck.

bender66 likes this.
  16. Oldskoolzcar

I was surprised to see it as well as I was expecting a glued on fingerboard.

17. bender66

I never noticed the 1pc neck when I owned it. Duh. I gave that 2nd image neck away.

The STL62 I mentioned previously is full 1 3/4" thick & straight ferrules. Same for the Agile 630, with the ashtray & fat neck I have. The older models were/are amazing value.
    20191019_224609.jpg

18. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sometimes even with good 3 Barrel Bridges top-loaders can be a little rattly and unsecure

I found the Babicz bridge is a lot more stable for a top loader

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.