Any info on my Affinity tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by NotDavidGilmour, Nov 26, 2014.

1. NotDavidGilmour

NotDavidGilmour TDPRI Member

I've had my Affinity for about a year now - and I love it. It's had various upgrades... new tuners, a new selector switch (old one was shocking,) stickers, drawings, home relicing (what can I say, I'm in a punk band) and I'm about to install a hot rail.

I got it in a small local music shop for about £99, second hand. I know it's a Chinese made one but I have no idea when it was made. The serial number starts with YN, does anyone know what year/era this shows it was made in? Or generally any info about Affinitys from that time?

My friends knock it for being a cheap piece of fecal matter, while they're strutting around with their expensive Fenders and ESPs... I'm in school, I don't have much money :p Anyway yeah cheers

EDIT: The fact that Affinitys are top-loaders as opposed to string-through always annoys me somewhat. Why do Squier do this? Is it a production cost thing? Is there any kind of string-through conversion I can do?

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't even think about a string through conversion. It's not worth the trouble and besides there isn't a damn thing wrong with top-loaders. I own two. One is my '95 MIM and the other is a custom build Esquire and they're both excellent playing guitars.

The YN prefix indicates which factory built the guitar. I believed the Affinity models where built in Indonesia but I could be wrong. Anyway the next two numbers of a Fender or Squier serial number generally indicate the year it was built. An 08 would be 2008, an 10 would be 2010 a 14 would be 2014 as so on.

3. NotDavidGilmour

NotDavidGilmour TDPRI Member

Okay - so I'll stick with the top load. Is it worth getting a better bridge or anything? I have some kind of obsession with changing every aspect of this guitar, mainly to make it personal to me.

The next two numbers in the serial are 76 so I doubt it was made in 1976... Also it definitely says made in China

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

This may help;

CY: Y = Yako (Taiwan) C = China. CY is followed by 2-digit year. CY appears on most models produced in China, and is by far the most common form. These forms are apparently associated with the change to Crafted in China, so post-1996 models only would have this form of serial number. Some Chinese Gretsch's use a CY serial number.

YN is associated with 'made in china' rather than 'crafted in china' and 1996 was the year they swapped to 'crafted in china' and mostly CY prefixes.

So from this info yours was manufactured in China (possibly Taiwan) in or before 1996. The number could be a month/year code like 7 = July and 6 = 1996 but that's simply a guess. You might login over at the SquierTalk site. Someone there may have better info or they can suggest a source.

As far as upgrading parts go not all replacement parts built to fit US or MIM Fenders or Squier CVs will be a drop in fit on an Affinity. You might try a post in the Tele Tech forum or the SquierTalk forums and get some help from someone whose done it. I'm sure it can be done but exactly what bridge will fit an Affinity I can't say. I don't own one.

5. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Leave the bridge alone. Top loaders are cool, and don't let anyone knock it, it's a fine guitar.

6. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

This ^^^.

If you like the neck and it sounds good, who cares? Play your Affinity!

Don't take advice from 10th graders, no matter how old they are. :cool:

7. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

My inexpensive Jay Turser tele copy has a top loader vintage 3-barrel style ashtray bridge and I have no problem with it. String changes are a breeze and I don't notice any difference in sustain. The only thing I'd like to change on that bridge would be changing the barrels from steel to brass. I like the look of aged brass.

Attached Files:

8. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Yako plant, 1997. Wilkinson make a good top loading bridge you an get on ebay for about £18 inc brass saddles, I fitted one to my sons affinity and it works well.

Attached Files:

9. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

Next time your friends rag you about your cheap guitar, point out that's all Kurt Cobain played, by choice, including amps.... and he did alright.

10. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

If you're in a punk band you should be knocking them for having expensive Fenders or ESP's. Having a DIY attitude is what punk is all about. In the end it's the player not the guitar.

11. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

And maybe also point out the other gigging musicians who play Squiers, who as well as ourselves include John Mayall, George Harrison, Chuck Prophet, Snooks Eaglin, Joanne Shaw Taylor......

My Squiers get gigged/rehearsed with regularly.

12. Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad Tele-Meister

First 2 Led Zep albums.... all top-loader bridge Tele.

13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I also love top loaders. My every day player is an old MIM Toploader. I've got dozens of guitars to chose from and the old toploader gets well over 90% of the use.

I think you'll like the Hot Rail pickups, I've got them in one of my guitars, and they're just mean as hell. And, you've already replaced the stuff that is prone to failure.

What every one else thinks shouldn't worry you. I bought a MIJ Contemporary Strat a long time ago for short money because that Japanese stuff was crap. Flash forward twenty or so years and now they're fairly valuable. I had a thing against Squiers of all kinds, now I've got several of them, and they're good players and sound good.

In my opinion if you find a guitar that has a good neck anything else can be fixed. Even bad necks can be salvaged, it just takes more time and effort.

14. krueger

krueger Tele-Meister

Jim Campilongo plays a top-loader. He says it gives a more "rubbery" feel than a regular string-through tele. In any case he makes it sound awesome and then some...

15. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

I felt the same way about my Affinity. I swapped pickups, tuners, bridge, electrosocket, etc...

Affinities are perfect for this kind of tinkering. I wanted to convert it to a string-through also, but after lots of research I realized it wasn't worth the bother.

I put a Wilkinson 3-saddle convertible bridge on it, but I needed it for a new project and put the stock Affinity bridge back on. I really didn't notice a difference.

So, my overall take: an Affinity can be perfect as-is, but they're also great guitars to mod to your heart's content. Make it your own!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.