Any ideas on this Squier? toploader body

BrandonIke

Tele-Meister
Been a while since I've been on here! Used to be on all the time a years ago, it's good to be back.

I picked up this toploader loaded body the other day (for free off FB) and am kind of stumped as to what it may be. The guy thought it was a Squier but if so I really don't know what model it is.. it's definitely some type of older import either way from the neck pocket but it actually feels pretty solid so I'm kind of intrigued. Doesn't seem like basswood.. maybe pine or alder but I'm no expert.

It's definitely not an affinity, standard, or CV.. maybe some older MIK or similar models I don't know about? To my knowledge it's not MIJ.

Very well could just be some rando unknown partscaster which is what I'm leaning towards but throwing it out there to see if anyone has other ideas

Here's some info and pics :

- Toploader
- 6 lbs loaded
- vintage style bridge routing & plate
- body mounted neck p/u
- copper plated bridge p/u
- mini pots/import switch and wiring

IMG-5056.jpg
IMG-5102.jpg
IMG-5098.jpg
IMG-5097.jpg
IMG-5101.jpg
IMG-5099.jpg
IMG-5100.jpg

Not sure what I'll do with it yet but I do like the sound of a new toploader project, it's been a minute.

Curious to see what you guys think, let me know if you want to see any other pics.
Thanks!

3rdworlder

Tele-Meister
Been a while since I've been on here! Used to be on all the time a years ago, it's good to be back.

I picked up this toploader loaded body the other day (for free off FB) and am kind of stumped as to what it may be. The guy thought it was a Squier but if so I really don't know what model it is.. it's definitely some type of older import either way from the neck pocket but it actually feels pretty solid so I'm kind of intrigued. Doesn't seem like basswood.. maybe pine or alder but I'm no expert.

It's definitely not an affinity, standard, or CV.. maybe some older MIK or similar models I don't know about? To my knowledge it's not MIJ.

Very well could just be some rando unknown partscaster which is what I'm leaning towards but throwing it out there to see if anyone has other ideas

Here's some info and pics :

- Toploader
- 6 lbs loaded
- vintage style bridge routing & plate
- body mounted neck p/u
- copper plated bridge p/u
- mini pots/import switch and wiring

View attachment 1027373 View attachment 1027375 View attachment 1027376

Not sure what I'll do with it yet but I do like the sound of a new toploader project, it's been a minute.

Curious to see what you guys think, let me know if you want to see any other pics.
Thanks!

When I read your post I immediately thought it would be a California Series Tele. But then I checked the pictures, and I see differences. All the Squier California Series Telecasters (guitars that are only marketed in Asia and South America) are toploaders, but I see the body cavities are noticeable different. These guitars have those ugly long bridges, and I see yours have the regular size. The California Series have the neck pickup mounted on the body, too.
I would assume the pickups are Squier originals because of the grey insulation of the cables. I have see cables exactly like those on old Squier Affinity Stratocasters. California Series Tele cables don't look like that, though.
The pots don't look original, nor the pup selector.
I'm very sorry I have no useful information but now I would also like to know what is that body. By the way, I think it looks fantastic! Definitely a score, and the body wood seems to be very nice, too.

BrandonIke

Tele-Meister
What does the jack plate look like?

Football style. electrosocket incoming
IMG-5103.jpg

IMG-5104.jpg

When I read your post I immediately thought it would be a California Series Tele. But then I checked the pictures, and I see differences. All the Squier California Series Telecasters (guitars that are only marketed in Asia and South America) are toploaders, but I see the body cavities are noticeable different. These guitars have those ugly long bridges, and I see yours have the regular size. The California Series have the neck pickup mounted on the body, too.
I would assume the pickups are Squier originals because of the grey insulation of the cables. I have see cables exactly like those on old Squier Affinity Stratocasters. California Series Tele cables don't look like that, though.
I'm very sorry I have no useful information but now I would also like to know what is that body. By the way, I think it looks fantastic! Definitely a score, and the body wood seems to be very nice, too.

ah yeah forgot about those California series.
Guess it is just some random partscaster, either way feels like a decent piece(s) of wood!

3rdworlder

Tele-Meister
Football style. electrosocket incoming View attachment 1027477

That's the exact socket all the California Series Telecasters have. Have a look at mine below:

zk1hiMB.jpg

I am looking at the knobs yours have. At first I thought those were California Series, but Cali series doesn't have screws. As a matter of fact, I don't think I ever seen any Squier instruments with such thing. Maybe Classic Vibe but those would be the only ones eventually. I have had many Squiers guitars and basses the last three decades :rolleyes:

radiocaster

Doctor of Teleocity
My SX has the same jack plate, I think also that route for the neck pickup wire, same bridge, is top loading only, but different bridge pickup. Body a bit thinner than standard telecaster (although those pics make it seem thicker). Mine is a different finish, a different model in any case.

Last edited:

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
My conclusion is that it's from either a modified Squier or a T style copy. The info I could find didn't give a match of the color, body routing and bridge type for any regular Squier models. It could be from a special run of Squiers since these aren't as well documented.

Beebe

Tele-Afflicted

Just FYI... This is a Fender California series. It came with a strat neck pickup and was made in Mexico and California around '93 or '94.

I've never heard of Squire California series.

20220912_072222-COLLAGE.jpg

3rdworlder

Tele-Meister
Just FYI... This is a Fender California series. It came with a strat neck pickup and was made in Mexico and California around '93 or '94.

I've never heard of Squire California series.

I am very much aware of the series you mention. But the Squier California series I am talking about is a serie that is NOT marketed in the States. And they're ussualy better than Affinity. I have had many guitars and basses of this line. Here's a couple of pics:

Squier-Telecaster-California-Series-2-scaled.jpg

1192133_20131021114429.JPG

BrandonIke

Tele-Meister
My SX has the same jack plate, I think also that route for the neck pickup wire, same bridge, is top loading only, but different bridge pickup. Body a bit thinner than standard telecaster (although those pics make it seem thicker). Mine is a different finish, a different model in any case.
yep this is standard 1 3/4" thickness