any ideas for low volume playing, maybe without an amp?

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Hi, Yall. hope things are sunny in your world today.

i have just rejoined the ranks of the gainfully employed, part time after 5 years of retirement. need to pay some bills and buy some toys.

so. i'm back doing what i do best: nightwatchman. mellow. quiet. no boss in my face. you understand. and i just found out that bringing in a guitar to keep myself awake between rounds is A-ok. but i have to be careful about volume - but i can't do a headphone amp because i have to be able to hear whatever might be happening in the building. so a stethoscope is also off the table.

what i wonder is does anybody know a trick one could use to maybe double the volume of an unplugged solidbody electric? for instance, i know that you can set the headstock of your axe up against a cabinet and get some volume, but that gets really awkward pretty quick.

anybody got a trick?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
This just in:

A local nightwatchman was found tied up and gagged at his place of employment last night. Authorities say, the nightwatchman become so engrossed in hammering out "Stairway" on his guitar that he failed to notice over a dozen intruders who had surrounded him. It was only when they applauded that he finally took notice of them, and well, tune in for the rest of the story at six pm.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Hi, Yall. hope things are sunny in your world today.

i have just rejoined the ranks of the gainfully employed, part time after 5 years of retirement. need to pay some bills and buy some toys.

so. i'm back doing what i do best: nightwatchman. mellow. quiet. no boss in my face. you understand. and i just found out that bringing in a guitar to keep myself awake between rounds is A-ok. but i have to be careful about volume - but i can't do a headphone amp because i have to be able to hear whatever might be happening in the building. so a stethoscope is also off the table.

what i wonder is does anybody know a trick one could use to maybe double the volume of an unplugged solidbody electric? for instance, i know that you can set the headstock of your axe up against a cabinet and get some volume, but that gets really awkward pretty quick.

anybody got a trick?
Play an acoustic guitar or
get a small practice amp

( sorry, I just don't enjoy playing any electric solid body unplugged)
Mine are the teeny Smokey amp ( from the '90's ) and a 2020 Roland Micro Cube ( full of features, including battery or A/C power)

Attachments

• 20171024_100812.jpg
    20171024_100812.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210910_150443.jpg
    20210910_150443.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 17

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I play unplugged all the time. I never use an amp at home. I have some headphone solutions, but I’m usually too lazy to implement them. I just noodle on the couch while I’m watching TV. If it’s a quiet, which it always is at night after everyone goes to bed, I get along just fine.

If you really have trouble hearing it (I’m half deaf and I don’t have issues with it but YMMV) you could always get a hollow body.

Some of the cheapy Ibanez models are pretty sweet for the $$.

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
I play unplugged all the time. I never use an amp at home. I have some headphone solutions, but I’m usually too lazy to implement them. I just noodle on the couch while I’m watching TV. If it’s a quiet, which it always is at night after everyone goes to bed, I get along just fine.

If you really have trouble hearing it (I’m half deaf and I don’t have issues with it but YMMV) you could always get a hollow body.

Some of the cheapy Ibanez models are pretty sweet for the $$.
Hollow body’s a great idea.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
i'm sorry guys, my wife rolled up with a load of groceries and i got distracted and didn't finish my thought. what i'm after is some way to increase the volume just a bit without an amp. now, i've got a handy and sweet little champion 600, but i'm looking to not have to drag a bunch of stuff in and out every night i work.

i know i'm throwing out a longshot, but i just believe that among so many with so much experience, somebody's done this.

and thanks for all suggestions.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
hmmm... yes, a semi-hollow would probably do want i want. it's just that i love playing my strat.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I know this will sound lame but fresh strings always makes my Tele a bit louder/brighter unplugged. (PS, that little BlackStar Fly 3 Mini @Texicaster suggests gets great reviews and it's very, very small, light and portable under 7" wide.)

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Fender Mustang Micro headphone amp is awesome for that. Generally speaking it displeases the Lord to play quietly but you can turn up headphones at least. And the modeled tones are really quite good.

I tried the Blackstar Fly 3 and sent it off to Goodwill pretty quickly.

aFewGoodTaters

Tele-Meister
When I'm at home it's unplugged nearly all the time. I've been playing that way for years. I think it improves my electric playing, to be honest. When practicing or learning a new tune, I try my best to get the tone and feel out of just my hands and the guitar. Then when I get to the rehearsal space I enhance that sound with my amp and pedals.

I do have a Yamaha THR10ii desktop amp but it's been relegated to a bluetooth speaker. I keep meaning to plug into more as it does sound pretty good but I'm just lazy. :)

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Like Jakedog ..........No amp, solid body or thinline type electric. That's pretty much 95% how I practice or noodle anyway. It's great!
Me too; I like playing unplugged solidbodies sometimes. It helps me if I can get into the “headspace” of trying to come up with original stuff, where I’m focusing on riff or picking timing, or the sound of specific chord voicings.

In that spaaaaaaaaaaace I find distortion or reverb or delay can be distracting; it pops me into a different spaaaaaaaace where I’m thinking about tone instead of actually coming up with something to play and executing it well.

I like to play with tone once the actual thing I’m playing is pretty comfortable under my fingers.

So maybe that could work for you...take your guitar breaks unplugged and noodle, experiment, come up with parts or work on dexterity things that aren’t processing dependent, and then plug in and Jimmy around with rig settings later at home.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
Add me to the no-amp crowd. I'm lucky enough to work from home and have my guitars hanging in my home office. Most of my playing occurs in 10 minute spurts in between emails and meetings. I don't bother with an amp unless I have at least 30 minutes to sit down and play.