Any hot rod lovers?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Dec 10, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Karman Ghia with a V10 Viper in it!
    [​IMG]

Geo, El Tele Lobo, DonM and 19 others like this.
  2. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Meister

"Any Hot Rod Lovers?"
    Yes.

A V10 KGia? Really cant see that fitting anywhere in one without it radically sticking out all over......
    More pics?

3. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I’m a big fan of Karman Ghia’s but this one is on steroids.
    I too would love more pics, I really wanna see how they did it.

Honest Charley likes this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Strange, but I seemed to like hot rods when roads were lousy and often crowded, speed limits were low, and I didn't have residences in 3 states.

Now, I drive a Swedish 4 door around 13-18 years of age, inconspicuous as possible, and just try to cover those miles quickly and yet with little unnecessary fuel consumption. I switch the fancier wheels and tires over to which ever of the 4 of them I'm not using that week. 220,000 miles you say? Just getting started.

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I think a lot of classic cars get hot-rodded these days because it's cheaper to modify than it is to do an accurate, numbers-matching restoration.

Geo, tubelectron, RoarDog and 4 others like this.
  6. boris bubbanov

This is the absolute truth.

Plus, some of these older cars have no AC, have really sketchy steering and even worse brakes, and the truly, properly restored car ends up being worth so much you only take it out 4 mornings over an entire year. I can't help it but I am a driver of cars, more than just an admirer who prefers to preserve them only.

And so, you can buy something like this and it is cheap to operate or to replace, so why not?
    [​IMG]
    And if this isn't enough fun, we use the S-2000.

DugT, Mike SS, Stubee and 8 others like this.
  7. schmee

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Awesome. A V-10 Viper engine? That is hot rodding right there. I'm a hot rodder through and through and even owned and modded a 1970 KG. Loved that car.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

No offense Boris, this car does not seem to fit you at all. Shouldn't it be a Saab?;)

Nevertheless, I would not want to be seen in that boring looking car. The epitome of gingerbread/cookie cutter "sports cars".:rolleyes:

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

But it's so much more impressive, so much more of an "event" when you see one that is truly a time capsule. Sure it's impractical and cost prohibitive, but that's part of the charm innit? There's no shortage of daily drivers out there, maybe it's okay if that box stock '55 Bel Air only gets taken out four times a year. It's still more impressive than a resto-mod '55 with a big block crate engine, Camaro brakes and suspension, and billet wheels.

Geo, flathd and Shuster like this.
  11. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

My definition of a hot rod is to take an early car body/chassis and make it go faster and handle and stop better than origanaly equipped. I’m some cases that might mean a new frame or extensively modified one. The drive train is what ever your imagination or wallet can afford.
    My currant project is a ‘67 VW ‘vert with a 1835cc engine, big valve heads, mildish cam, 40mm Dellorto carbs. A regeard trans axel and disc brakes up front. The Vipered Ghia is a show piece. I’d like to see it go cruise up Pacific Coast Hiway.

12. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Not a hot rod per se but we are about to put a Lexus 4.3l VVTi V8 in my race car the next few months......US v8's are very rare, expensive and hard to source down here in NZ, unlike Japanese cars and parts.

Having grown up with a father that was mad crazy in to drag racing...he even hitch hiked with me to a drag meeting at 2 years old.

So while the 340 hp turbo 1800 is awesome, I have a "genetic" urge to have a v8. Now for you guys in the USA that is just an everyday occurance but we grew up on english and japanese cars so v8's are still "a thing" here :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    DugT, dkmw, Mike SS and 3 others like this.
  13. boris bubbanov

Between my girlfriend and I, we have 5 Saabs, 1 SE Miata and 1 Honda S-2000.

We get a lot of attention and thumbs up, with both little convertibles. But not so much attention we would be apprehensive leaving the car on the street to go eat dinner, or at a trailhead for 6 hours. I'm sort of done with "Absolutely Not Boring" cars that get vandalized or people want to reach out and teach you a lesson or something. The S-2000 is way more "competent" than it is eye catching and that, to me, is the point at my age. I'll even leave it in need of a through washing and detailing at times so I can go race it on the tight mountain twisties without drawing too much attention to myself. I am not really interested in cars that draw so much attention from the local cops that they stop you while you're just idling through their little crossroads.

14. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

And speaking of Dodge v10's, this is a friend of mines truck. He owns motorcycle stores so the v10 thing seemed a better fit and sound than a big old V8.

To us anyway :)

[​IMG]

El Tele Lobo, DonM, flathd and 13 others like this.
  15. schmee

Corvette Nomad..? Ultimate band gear hauler?
    [​IMG]

16. schmee

Or maybe this one... :eek: I'm getting dizzy...
    [​IMG]

Geo, eddiewagner, DonM and 3 others like this.
  17. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

My project is a 65 Dodge truck with a 440/727/3.55
    The engine is still at the machine shop, should be about 485hp.

18. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You would not think that if you grew up with 5.7 L V8s making 135 HP. Just - no. :D

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  19. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Bingo. I drive VWs. I would like to get a GTI or a GLI next - we'll see. German manners, German ability to cruise high speed, and they only attract the attention of people who know what they are (and those people would also pull over the S2000, Saabs, and / or whatever).

I appreciate the stealth in a car that is still quick. I have no interest in a fast car - but 230 HP in a Golf GTI is quick, enough power, and can cruise comfortably all day at 120 without breaking a sweat. Not that I would, but it could. And very few people would notice.

20. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Ha, true!

Toyota should make 340hp at the wheels with a load more torque, making a very rapid car even rapider....Cant wait :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.