1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Headrush users?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by littlebadboy, Apr 17, 2021.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Any other Headrush users out there?

I've been using a Headrush Gigboard + FRFR for almost 2 years now. I came from using different Boss GT models. After the GT-100, I thought of trying out a modeler with IR loading capabilities. The Boss GT-1000 was too expensive, so I tried out Headrush. It has been great so far! When the Boss GT-1000CORE came out, I got excited being a Boss fanboi, and ordered. I intended to replace my Headrush. But when I compared both, the Headrush still stood out. So, I returned the Boss.

[​IMG]

Then, I got a 2nd Headrush FRFR108 cab for my birthday from my family! I have just set it up and it sounds so GOOD that I almost wet my pants! It's my first time to try a stereo rig in my 30+ years of pretend playing! It sounds weird - but in a good way! It's like the sounds come from the center but there are some echoes and whatnots going on thrown at me from the left and right!

[​IMG]

FRFR means full range-flat response to those who are not familiar. They're great amplification for mfx/modelers as they do not color the tone that the modeler is meant to reproduce.

Now, I have to wait until summer break before I could really play

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I have one FRFR-108 connected to my Eleven Rack which as you probably know is the predescessor of the Headrush Gigboard algorithm wise. I have the ER wired in stereo via XLRs to my mixer so I can record it in stereo, though mostly I don't. Generally I add echoes in the DAW.

littlebadboy likes this.
  3. littlebadboy

Yes, in fact, it has Eleven Rack still printed somewhere on it!

4. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

A buddy of mine has a Gigboard and it sounds great. Of coarse, he’s the kind who can make anything sound great.

5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Tele-Meister

Helix. You're welcome.

littlebadboy likes this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I don't have the pedalboard, but I have the speaker and use it with a Fly Rig 5. Sounds really good.

There is NO WAY it's 2,000 watts as the decal boldly proclaimed. If it really is 2,000 watts, it's insanely inefficient.

northernguitar likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I have a non-working FRFR 108 that I need to send back to Sweetwater for repair/replacement under their in-house warranty. I got it last year and it stopped working after 6 months. While it sounded good when it worked, it failing so soon after purchase makes me not want to buy any more Headrush products.

8. SmokinJoe992

SmokinJoe992 TDPRI Member

I use the Headrush pedalboard, but I use it more as just a pedalboard in front of a Hot Rod Deluxe.

9. littlebadboy

I heard nothing but good things about the Helix line. I was torn between Headrush and Helix, but was attracted to the big touch screen and easy user interface of Headrush. I would like to try a Helix at some point as I love modelers. But for now, I'm happy with my Headrush.

10. littlebadboy

Sorry about that. You must have gotten a bum. I had mine for around 2 years with no issues. However, I had an open-box 112 beforehand which was also goofy and returned it to MF. I'm sure Sweetwater will take care of you.

11. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

I think if you are using a modeler to create your room sound, an FRFR is a requirement. There is no way to really dial in patches without one. The Headrush is good and affordable.

The headrush stuff seems to give a lot for the money. I don't know about it besting a Boss GT-1000, (The Digital signal path in the new Boss is way way more advanced)but if you are making inspiring music on the Headrush, that's all that matters.

12. littlebadboy

The 2000 watts is peak power. It's the highest power level that the speaker or amp can handle in a short burst without blowing. The actual power of the amp in the FRFR... not sure. But, I swear it's loud enough!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Peegoo likes this.
  13. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Tele-Meister

Hmmmm, big touch screen...that is very tempting...must remain strong...

Modelers are like ice cream, they're all good in these times.

littlebadboy likes this.
  14. duzie

duzie Tele-Holic

What issue did you have ?
    I just returned 1 of the 2 I ordered for a replacement.
    After about 2 months it would not turn on .
    No on light or anything.
    Just dead :(

15. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I have a FRFR-108 that I used with my Helix. It sounds great and is very portable.

I'd still be using it if I had not purchased a Powercab 212.

16. bgmacaw

That's the same with mine. Worked until it didn't.

17. duzie

duzie Tele-Holic

Thanks for responding.
    I searched to see if it is a known problem, but came up empty :(

18. bgmacaw

While I haven't looked inside the unit to prevent voiding the warranty, I noticed before it failed it got quite hot on the back. I suspect there's a design problem that can "cook" the chips, causing it to eventually fail. Since they aren't failing uniformly, maybe it's some part that's sometimes improperly installed.

duzie likes this.
  19. duzie

duzie Tele-Holic

Sweetwater replaced mine no questions asked really :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.