Any hands-on experience with the current "Player Jazzmaster"?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Thoughtfree, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Meister

Has anyone ever played this current Fender? None of the extra JM pots and switches. Thanks to anyone who has hands-on experience with this guitar.

And one more JM question: do generic gig bags fit a Jazzmaster?

Clipboard01.jpg

DaphneBlue likes this.
  2. nathan5782

nathan5782 Tele-Meister

I have a special edition version of that I got from Reverb/Chicago Music exchange that has the pure vintage 65 Jazzmaster pickups so it won’t sound like what you’re interested in. I really like the neck and fretboard feel. The 4 way switch is like a 4 way telecaster mod where you have both pickups in series or parallel wiring and each by themselves. I also own a crafted in Japan Jaguar with 7.25 radius neck and I like the JM 9.5 radius neck better. It does fit in the cheap Fender gig bags that used to come with the guitars.

Attached Files:

Fretting out likes this.
  3. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I haven't tried the Player model, but it looks nice. It won't, however, sound like a traditional Jazzmaster with the JM single coils. It also lacks the rhythm circuit, which may not mater to you. If you haven't visited offsetguitars.com, you should check it out. The New & Reissue forum has a current thread on the Players series. I believe that they are well regarded on the forum. Since getting one in April, I've become a devotee of the JM. Mine has the '65 reissue pickups, which have their own unique sound.

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I haven’t played the player jazzmaster but I can second that they fit in fender gig bags

My jazzmasters fit fine in the bag that came with my Baja

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The humbucker styled JMs, and even the "P90 similar to JM pickups" (used on the JMJM signature Squier model) follow the trends of the "JazzBlaster" guitars used by Sonic Youth and similar bands. JM shape but much different output tones.

The Player Series you show with Humbuckers and V-T-Switch are more like a Les Paul in a JM shape. A great guitar but if you are searching for Jazzmaster specific tones to do old surf songs that is probably not the model you want.

The JM classic pickups are wide-area but thin height bobbins, which is the opposite of Strat pickups that are tightly focused with tall bobbins.
    The "P90" JM versions are short and tall bobbins with a lot of wire wraps and the bar magnet types used on Gibson P90 pickups. So they are hybrids. They are also poorly identified unless you look at the pickup out of the cover/pickguard.

6. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Meister

Yes, I sold mine not long after getting it. I didn’t like the pau ferro board. The guitar never felt right overall to me, and I really wanted to love it. Pickups were ok, but the neck bucker was too muddy for me. I’d always split the coil. I had a sunburst and it was a very nice looking guitar, but wasn’t for me. Tele for life.

7. False Start

False Start TDPRI Member

I have a mim classic player. With a little modification, I installed an evh Frankenstein humbucker pickup in the bridge position. 14.4k. It sounds incredible. I love the modern c neck, it's my favorite neck profile. I have two fenders with fat 10/56v profiles. They are nice, but the modern c is my favorite. The output jack on the face is great for playing while sitting on the couch or lazyboy. Very comfortable.

8. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Meister

Thanks, folks! Not sure what my next move is, but your information is very helpful.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.