Any ham radio ops here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Paulie_Boy, Nov 6, 2019 at 10:27 PM.

1. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Meister

Yep. "Uncle Charlie is in town!" :D

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

I used to love to get away from town, flip on the linear amp and shoot skip on my CB. It is amazing how far it can bounce sometimes! Hmmm...this thread just planted a seed, thanks a ton!! Off to research some ham! :)

Recommend some good sites to get me started going legit?? :)

Paulie_Boy likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I had forgotten "Uncle Charlie" but you're spot on. Someone was always relating a story where old skipshootskadoodle got fined ten thousand bucks for shooting them skips with an illegal rig. I never personally knew anyone who got in trouble. One guy out on Weedpatch highway was pretty sneaky about his skip shootin', he had a forty foot "Lazer" on a tower by his house. When he said hang on, I'm gonna swing the house around it was pretty impressive to see that thing turning. Guy who's gone whose handle was Smokie used to put on a great jamboree here in town at the fairgrounds, even expanded to Vegas one time, I attended the one in Vegas. HUGE crowd. The CB craze was fun while it lasted.

teleNtweed and Paulie_Boy like this.
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

KC7KBL here. Been years though! Used to do it sailing the world!

Paulie_Boy likes this.
  5. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I tried it, I just don't get it?!
    thjijmoi.jpg

Rowdyman and Paulie_Boy like this.
  6. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Meister

There's a local ham that got popped for freebanding. He paid a two thousand dollar fine. His lawyer worked it down from seven thousand because he was "poor." (He's an ATC at the airport. I thought they were all in the six figures.) The complaint was that he was interfering on 10 meters, but I doubt it. I'm sure another ham that didn't like him dropped him in the grease. It was probably a slow week at the Houston field office, so they investigated and heard him in the netherworld. You takes your chances and pays your money! (Not me.)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Harry

Harry Tele-Meister

Start with the national amateur radio association, arrl.org., for information on licensing, clubs, etc.

Then check out sites like eham.net and qrz.com. They're not unlike TDPRI. Lots of gear talk. Lots of opinions.

You'll never run out of contacts with an Alaska location.

73 (best wishes).

K8HP

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 12:58 PM
    Paulie_Boy and teleNtweed like this.
  8. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Thanks, I will check it out!

Paulie_Boy likes this.
  9. electrichead

electrichead TDPRI Member

I still remember my cb radio license number when you had to have one..KZF-9568

Paulie_Boy and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Well, I have a license. I was running a radar test at MCB Quantico one summer, and the range officer refused to sign off on the frequency clearance unless someone on the team had a license. So I went to the local ham meeting on a Saturday, took the multiple choice test that is about as easy as the one you take for boater's safety, got the license, got frequency clearance from the range officer, etc. That was the only time I ever used it, though I doubt operating a radar transceiver is even considered amatuer radio...maybe.

Paulie_Boy likes this.
  11. pdmartin

pdmartin Tele-Meister

N8ULS

Paulie_Boy likes this.
  12. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

We had two of the old CB licenses in our house, but never went ham.

2 meter VHF through repeaters is boring. The 250km limit on 11 meters was withdrawn 2 years ago. It looks like you can shoot all of the domestic (and Canadian) skip you want with your full legal (cough, cough) 4 watts on AM and 12 watts on SSB, so folks who were toying with getting amateur licenses are now content with the CB band and a little illegal freebanding. It also means I can stand on an sandbar here in the lower Florida Keys, raise my 4' telescoping antenna and work most of north America with my Cherokee AH 100 SSB walkie talkie.

"Seems to me" Joe Walsh is a licensed amateur radio operator.

I may still get around to taking the test. I just don't know if I want to have to sell any of my guitars and amps to buy 10 meter or 2 meter gear.

13. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

The license would be a GROL with RADAR endorsement. Ham license wont legally allow more than miniscule power in useful RADAR frequencies.

14. Hey_you

Hey_you TDPRI Member

I got into 11 meter b 4 the 70's CB craze. Lasted 22 years for me.Had a beam ant on the house and 5/8 ground plane in the back. Neighbors hated me,lol. always on the "good" foot. For 1 hour, one day, up on 27.555 had a decent hookup with France, Belguim, Ireland, and some island off west arfrica..I was in San Diego at that time. Had a Ranger 10m rig.All that remains now are 2 linear amps, a trunked scanner and a couple handheld 11m's.Quit it back in early 2000

15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I was 11-12 years old, I got my Novice license. Never took it further, sadly, because we moved away from the two people I knew who were also into it. One was my best friend, and the other was his neighbor, an older fella with a big tower in his yard, and a room crammed full of ham stuff, which we thought was the coolest thing ever.

Paulie_Boy likes this.
  16. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Another Amateur Extra, here. I’ve worked operators in nearly every state on 40m using a microphone.

CW is a blast!

Paulie_Boy likes this.
  17. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Meister

QRZ.com and eHam.net

18. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Meister

Indeed he is. Very active. I've never worked him, but I'm sure I'd recognize his voice. ;)

19. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

What I can't figure out.... Why do some Hams insist or calling CQ40 or CQ20... I respond then apologize, saying I thought I was on a different band....

Or ignore the phonetic alphabet? As in Kiljoy One-er Darkside Eagles Flightpath?

But I do enjoy Cap'n Dave ...yowzer-yowzer ....

20. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

It definitely isn't that one! Mine says "Operator Class: Technician". Probably their entry level license. I think the range officer just wanted me to have it so he could check a box on some form.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.