1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any gun collectors here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Oct 6, 2016.

1. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That is Sick.
    But sadly, very true.
    Our Jails are chock-full of people who have been convicted for doing just that.

~ST

2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

That's why they put time locks on safes in banks. You lock it and set the time that it can be re-opened. You then hope the bank robbers have sufficient education to understand when you explain to them that no matter how many digits you cut off there is no way you can open the safe. When in grad school I worked in a convenience store on the late shift for several months. There were two of us just because that reduces the odds of getting robbed significantly vs. just one store employee. There was also a steel safe with a little slot in it. We only kept $50 in the register and we regularly dropped anything above that, such as $20 bills into the slot. Luckily it never came to it, but hopefully the crook holding a gun to my head would understand when I explain to them that all I got is the $50 in the register, and I do not have the key to the safe, I just work here. The point however is that the problem Toto's Dad mentions is well known, and so many of the safes that are in use are set up so that most of the time there is absolutely no way to unlock them.

3. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

El Kabong. Just sayin'! ;) :p

You're literally trying to get the thread closed, aren't you?

If you want to argue, go the electric guitar wood myth thread, please.

Back on topic, I'd love to see a picture of that 1881 Colt .45 mentioned earlier -- it sounds like a really nice gun!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  4. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Why this dog blaming? Now back to the discussion at hand.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Blaming? Just recognising talent.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the info. My original post just got deleted. Evidently, someone thought I put it up for sale here. I just wanted to show my dads, cool old gun with a story behind it I know nothing about. I don't remember offering it up for sale. I'll be tip toeing on the eggshells as I exit the 6 page gun thread on the guitar forum. (I'm still trying to wrap my head around that last part).

7. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

I like to shoot.

Rifles: I still have the Marlin 336 in .30-30 that my parents gifted to me when I was eleven. I still have the Ruger 10/22 Deluxe my parents gave me for my 16th birthday. I have a Ruger M-77RL Ultralight in .250 Savage that I bought back in 1985 while in my second year of college. I have a Browning A-Bolt II Medallion in .257 Roberts that I won in a raffle drawing a couple of years ago. I also have a caplock, .50 Lyman Great Plains Rifle and a .20 Beeman R-9 air rifle. The rifle I shoot the most since buying it a year and a half ago is a DPMS Oracle 5.56 in, of course, 5.56 NATO.

Handguns: Stainless Ruger Old Army percussion revolver; stainless Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum; Ruger 22/45 Target.

Shotguns: Yildiz SPZ ME in 28 gauge and 12 gauge.

My favorite target game is sporting clays. My 15 year old daughter and 17 year old son are my sporting clays squad mates. They each have their own 28 gauge Yildiz SPZ ME shotguns. We don't get to shoot the game as much as we'd like because the course we shoot on is a 300 mile round trip from where we live. When we do shoot the game, we're all using the same kind of 28 gauge gun to make things "even" albeit my daughter's is fit with 26" barrels instead of the 28" tubes my son's and mine sport, and I had to have the stock shortened a fraction and bent a bit to make the gun fit her. I like shooting the game with my kids for a lot of reasons but one of them is that they take the game very seriously and are HIGHLY competitive. It makes for a great day of family togetherness fun that we all cherish.

I like making holes in paper with the DPMS Oracle. What I wanted when I bought that was an old-school, 20" barreled, fixed stock "A2" style AR-15, similar to the M-16 A2's I enjoyed shooting in the military and in law enforcement, but they seem to have fallen out of fashion and the Oracle only set me back $400.00 brand, spanking new.. I couldn't resist. I'm glad I didn't because I've been having a lot of fun with it !!

I like blowing out X-rings with the Old Army percussion revolver, too.

All of the shooting implements I have get shot. I live about 15 minutes from a public rifle and pistol range on a Wildlife Management Area and typical shoot three days each week.

When I lived in California, I was a rabidly avid quail and chukar hunter. I got hooked on that via a couple of uncles when I was 15. The day I turned 18, I bought a 20 gauge Ugartechea side by side. It was the closest thing I could find to the A y A No. 2 in 28 gauge that one of my uncles used.

Here in Oklahoma, I'm a semi-serious deer hunter; a bit more serious about feral swine whacking. I was a licensed and bonded hunting and fishing guide in California and was pretty in to pig hunting then.

Between shooting sports, fly fishing, bicycling, wrenching on my old Mustang, amateur radio, and making music, I'm never at a loss for something entertaining to do. ;)

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  8. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

None of mine are collectible but all are serious fun to shoot. Thanks to those posting pics of unique stuff, always fascinating to see.

9. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey, maybe I am a collector. I've got one of these and love to shoot it. It's not the one that comes out when I hear a strange noise, but only because I like having more chances.

How do you date one of these things? (No, not that kind of date)

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The other school of thought is that if you DO use that one you have less chances...of a jam.:)

11. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Afflicted

Lots of 'em on the FDP

12. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

13. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks, E5, looks like I'm in the '69-70 range for my 6 shooter.

As for jamming, I've got 500 rounds or so in a new M & P 9 with no hiccups. The only non-fire situation was with the revolver. Through no fault of it's own, had an old box of 38 ammo that wasn't capping.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.