1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Gretsch Electromatic baritone players/owners?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by W.L.Weller, Jan 19, 2021.

1. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I'm considering one, wondering whether anyone here has any hands-on experience with one.

Main selling point to me over my current 30" scale baritone (a Danelectro reissue) would be the Bigsby.

Main concern (based on not having played one) would be the neck profile and the pickups ("mini humbuckers" in the description).

2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Yep! I've had one for 10+ years now. Love it!

Definitely rig it up with the lightest gauge strings you can. B to B. Otherwise, you lose some of the Bigsby goodness. I wouldn't waste it on a Bass VI kind of thing. It wants to be a guitar.

It's not great quality, but it's certainly good enough all told. I bought mine used, have never checked how old it is, but it's held up fine. Needed a new pickup selector and jack at one point.

I love the pickups. Smoky or ringing, thrummy or growling. Very responsive, and the pickup selector and tone control make big differences, as they should.

I often capo it up, anywhere from the 2nd to the 12th frets, and it sounds just great that way. Sweet and full and deep. I can see where it's a natural for doom shred, or knocking down cinderblock walls. I don't play any of that stuff. To me, it's full of rich tones, not rage. So much so that I actually use a lot less reverb on it compared to most of my other electrics. I can see why people drench it, as the samples below all do, but it really sounds best pretty much scrubbed clean of effects.

These are good representation of its tones:

The neck profile is very pleasant. Not too big, if that's your concern. Sort of like a very long C, and not a very deep one at that. Your arm gets tired reaching for the cowboy chords more than your fingers get strained on the neck.

Good luck with your choice!

W.L.Weller likes this.
  3. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Yeah, I was afraid of that...

Got some thinking to do.

Probably tell myself I'll evaluate it alongside the Dano, then sell one. But of course once they're both here...

I tune the Dano A-a. Lying to myself that tuning this to B makes it a different thing is just my style.

The only hope for my cash reserves is your 'squeaky clean' concept. I've never met a pedal I couldn't find a use for.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.