Any Greta Van Fleet fans?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleFunk Man, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

They sound good to me. Haven't heard much other that a couple songs though.

2. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I've tried listening to their album, but couldn't get past the Zep-ness of it. I think it's great that young people are making this kind of music and spreading the gospel, but it's not something I can listen to. I would totally see them live however...at a reasonable price. It will be interesting to see where they go from here.

3. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Afflicted

To be in your teens and NAIL the Led Zeppelin sound? That's a formidable amount of musicianship. Let's hope they can translate that into some songwriting.

I was completely fooled when I first heard "Safari Song." I thought it was some old Zep that I'd missed. It made me realize how thirsty I am for that style of Rock to make a comeback.

The Canadian band The Sheepdogs have the same effect on me; imagine Jim Morrison replacing Robert Plant (or Dan's voice in The Black Keys), and it gives you an approximation.

broadcaster likes this.
  4. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Ok. It must just be me but to me the dude doesn't sound as much like Plant as everybody else says. I looked them up on youtube to see some covers and everything.

He sometimes sounds kind of like 74 onward plant.

He never really sounds like 68-71 plant. From 68-71 his voice was freaking awesome. That was before plants voice started changing and not in a good way in my opinion. Its a big difference in Plant from 72 and 70, even 71. I read somewhere he had throat surgery in 72 and its no denying something happened. He just didn't the ability to hit notes but tje whole sound/tone changed.

His voice in 72-73 was still ok but different than before but by 74 it was all but gone except in his lowest range. It sucks too. I've thought before how cool it would have been if he would have not lost his original voice.

I wil say I can hear the general Zep influence though. Nothing wrong with that.

broadcaster likes this.
  5. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

Good stuff. I'm really interested to hear what *their* sound will be. I don't know how long they'll be able to ride the Zep-mini-me train, but I am glad to see young guys doing some great sounding rock.

broadcaster likes this.
  6. Big Burly

Big Burly Tele-Meister

I have seen some interviews on YouTube, and they definitely admit Zep is a heavy influence. No denying that at all.

I like the guitarist's tones. He is close to a Page tone. That is good.

The drummer is quite good, and he plays the Bonham-style drum kit.

The bass player does a good job.

The singer does bother me. His voice is very much, IMHO, a parody of Plant. I have a hard time listening to him. He needs to back away from all of the overly-done Plant-isms that he tries, and just belt the songs out. His "base" voice is pretty good, but he just really goes above and beyond.

I'll try to listen to them again, maybe with some time under my, and their, belt. Lots of potential here.

Now admittedly, I am a massive Led Zeppelin fan, and Robert Plant is a hero of mine. His voice did radically change. His early voice was SO powerful. Probably too powerful. He was a big fan of Steve Marriott, and it showed. I liked Plant's voice all during the Zep years and into his solo career. I actually quite liked hi deeper voice in the late 70s and early 80s.

rag1 and broadcaster like this.
  7. Little Red Tele

Little Red Tele Tele-Meister

Rig rundown on these guys just got posted:

I have to admit it's refreshing to hear kids playing hard rock again

awasson and broadcaster like this.
  8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I listened to their album after seeing this thread. They're great and I like it but I think when they say they're not influenced by Led Zeppelin it just means they really ARE Led Zeppelin. It's like Led Zeppelin's original members had their brains downloaded into new bodies and somehow did the same with Bonzo. The resemblance is uncanny. They'd be the best Zeppelin tribute band in the world if they decided to do that.

But that's the thing. If you could actually have a new Led Zeppelin record, and it was Led Zeppelin with the original members all healthy and not addicted to drugs and firing on all cylinders would you complain? So why complain about these guys?

Wallo Tweed and broadcaster like this.
  9. Fatstring

Fatstring TDPRI Member

First time I heard them honestly the my-my-my, mama vocals and guitar/bass/drum tone put me off a little as being too Led Zeppelin. By the third listen I kind of got over that and now really love their album. Singer's tone reminds me of young Axl Rose a bit more than Plant in some parts. It's good straightforward rock though. Wish all their shows did not sell out too fast, their promoter really underestimated demand.

awasson likes this.
  10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think their record label is pushing them to really lean on the Zep thing, to be honest. When I saw them live, I saw the guy who signed them. His name is Jason Flom, and he's the guy who signed another band who got a lot of comparisons to Zep when they first came out - a band called Zebra. (He also signed Twisted Sister, but that's another story for another day.)

He's definitely rolled out the big guns for these guys. The guitar tones, the drum sound (exactly tuned to sound like Bonham - he hit his snare a few times before they started and I swear it sounded just like the kickoff to 'Moby Dick'), the bass player switching off to keyboards - all of it is calculated to maximize the comparisons to Zep. And it's working. I'd say a solid 50% of the crowd where I saw them were people my age, who were around for the first Zep album.

People who know Flom joke that he's been trying to sign Led Zeppelin for his entire career. He may have finally done it, kind of.

broadcaster likes this.
  11. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I dunno. I find the singer kinda pitchy at times.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Big Burly likes this.
  12. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I don't see what all the fuss is about. They're OK, but there are better bands playing in bars all across America.

13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think part of the fuss is that they're young and good looking, and they're being successfully marketed. I know for a fact I'm well past the window where
    teenagers and 20-somethings are going to swoon over me and throw their panties on the stage. Forty- and Fifty-somethings, yes....but that's not what
    drives the markets these days....even though that's the age group that actually still spends money on music rather than only streaming it for free.

Wallo Tweed and DougM like this.
  14. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I just discovered this band today by accident - mainly as I heard Highway Tune and had a 'hang on, that's Zep' moment.

I'm a huge Zeppelin fan, and the fact that GVS are pretty much one step away from ZOSO is weird... but I just bought the album.

It's good classic rock with a 70's vibe. Has guitars, nice groove... heck, I'm going with it and putting my grumpiness aside! :D

There is life in the music industry yet.

broadcaster likes this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Greta Van Fleet is like if Zeppelin perfectly aped a band from 1918 when they first came out.

Think about it...o_O

16. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

paparoof likes this.
  17. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

18. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Good luck to them. Every band has influences - some more influential than others. I can't think of many bands I'd like to compared to than Zep, so that has to be a feather in their cap - even if they're not admitting to it.

The key will be where they are in 5 years time as the music industry seems to be all over the place just now. Bands seem to come and go daily and those that can stick around and be successful for even a few years, are doing exceptionally well.

They're on tour in the UK at end of March / beginning of April and I'd like to go and see them - but it's unlikely to happen as I've got other things on the horizon. I will have a good listen on Spotify, though....

awasson likes this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think a reasonable hope for any band these days is that they get a dedicated fan base who will come to their shows, spend time on their website, and buy their shwag as well. Also, with good marketing director they can
    hope that they bump up their royalties by getting their music aired on various movies and TV shows. They can also get a small revenue stream from YouTube channel, Pandora, Spotify, etc.

If all this works out they can make a decent middle class living doing what they love to do. Making music and touring. Hopefully they will love it and not burn out on it. I think I would be happy to do what they
    are doing, but then again I might burn out on the road. And they're pretty young so I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lot of the common issues that young bands have after awhile.

20. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Eh, the singer really isn't that great IMO. I appreciate when they're trying to do but for me GvF is to Zeppelin like Jet (or Airborne) is to AC/DC.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.