Any Grasser's Here

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burtf51, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

Been playing Bluegrass in a local band here in Pennsyltucky for many years. I play a Martin D-18 Golden Era or sometimes my old D-35, and I use a thumbpick. I also play mandolin (Flatiron F5 Artist) and sing. We're not real young, good lookin, or good soundin, but we have a lot of fun.

Rustbucket and Smokin OP like this.
  2. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I haven't play much BG lately but I love it. When I do get together for a picking party it's usually more medium tempo songs, more old time that BG. I have a Santa Cruz Tony Rice, also play mandolin & in a former life a square neck reso. Fill in around town with my old BG band a couple of times of year. Love it!

ROADMAN, codamedia and Rustbucket like this.
  3. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Pickin’ b’grass 40 years. My D18-authentic. 7C814F72-1912-4E97-88E9-ABE9772FEE73.jpeg

Digital Larry, Uncle Butch and Stubee like this.
  4. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I was actually in a “bluegrass band” though it wasn’t true to form. A friend who was quite a grasser wanted to form it with me, a bass player and my friend on banjo and dobro. He’d was in another band with me, kinda a pop/rock/country thing and thought I could pull it off.

I did, but I’m no grasser. I’ve played with some great flat pickers, I mean the kind who will astound ya, and while I don’t run and hide I also don’t even pretend to flat pick like that. I was in our little local music store years ago just trying out some flattops when an old bluegrass guy came in, heard me strum a few chords and said “So yer a folkie, eh”? I was much chagrined as I’m pretty far from a “folkie” but after going to some bluegrass and old timey guitar jams with my friend I could see where he was coming from.

Our band mixed some bluegrass standards with country and ‘bluegrass versions’ of pop songs, and as we could all sing it was pretty good, minus my flat picking. Our most memorable gig was at the Michigan HAWG Festival. Quite an appreciative audience.

I do consider the great bluegrass groups to be some of the most talented musicians of our time. Tight!

Nightclub Dwight and Rustbucket like this.
  5. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I've played some bluegrass over the years. I'm probably fonder of the fiddle tune type stuff than the songs. I also got into some "New Grass" for awhile, e.g. New Grass Revival, but at a certain point they seemed like they were really shooting for that "pop hit" and I couldn't take it any more.

Stubee likes this.
  6. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

Just Tony and he was so good at doing everything that needs done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

String Tree likes this.
  7. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Seeing that picture of Wayne, did anybody else make it to Wayne's festival this weekend? It's a great time!!!!

RJ

8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I play Bentgrass.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I’m a huge bluegrass fan. I’ve just never been any good at it myself.

If you want a fantastic practice tool, check out the Flatpick Apptentice blog. It’s done by a good friend of mine who’s competed up at Winfield a few times. He’s got loads of backing tracks recorded at different bpm and in different keys.

burtf51 likes this.
  10. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

As a country player I've been in and around bluegrass quite a bit over the past 30 years, but my life changed forever (musically) in 2015 when I attended the Steve Kaufman acoustic camp in Maryville TN. I was enrolled in the advanced flatpicking course and spent a full week making some great friends and gaining insight from some great teachers/players such as Jim Hurst, Molly Tuttle, Mark Cosgrove, etc... etc...

I walked away with a much greater understanding of music, and even more so.... community. I immediately understood the culture of "pickin' sessions" (parking lots, hotel halls & lobby's, back stages, etc...).... where grassers greet each other with instruments in hand pickin' songs and trading solo's long before they know each others names. EVERYONE is welcome, regardless of skill level.

Bluegrass is a lot more than just a style of music... and was a wonderful welcome in my life.

Back in '99 I played a festival in Craponne France that blended Bluegrass with mainstream country.... it was there I got this picture with Wayne Henderson, and another with J.D Crowe & Richard Bennett.

sean_wayne.jpg sean_lyle_jdcrowe.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  11. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

Great post codamedia. I know it was a life altering musical experience and what a lineup of instructors.

I’ve always said “ just pull out an instrument at any tailgate picking and you’ll see real fast” ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codamedia likes this.
  12. codamedia

I would love to get to Waynes festival but it's 1500 miles from home. I'm pretty sure it's the weekend prior to Steve Kaufman's bluegrass camp, maybe I'll get a chance to tie the two together sometime. First I'll need the exchange rate to cooperate a little... our lowly CAD dollar doesn't take me far in the US :D

rjtwangs likes this.
  13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I like bluegrass in small doses. I spent a summer going to festivals in Indiana and Kentucky. When I was a touring soundman, the band I worked with played on the radio with Jim and Jesse. I've met Bill Monroe, New Grass Revival (with Sam and Bella) The Osborne Brothers as well as mixed for Ralph Stanley and others. I had a roommate who played mandolin for the Virginia band Cloud Valley.

What I don't like is bluegrass with sappy lyrics and auto-tuned vocals. Our local community radio station has a bluegrass show and I heard some horrible stuff on there. (As well as some great stuff). I can only take so much banjo and I'd rather hear a Weisenborne then a Dobro at this point. And while I've played bluegrass, songs, I've never played in a bluegrass band.

So, yeah, it's OK, but I'd rather hear old time contra dance music and Celtic stuff these days.

14. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I've been to that Steve Kaufman Acoustic Kamp (I put the "K" in Camp) in excess of a dozen times.

It is a fun, event-filled week.

SKAK Week 2 is going on right now. I couldn't attend this year do to a conflict. I recommend it for all.

codamedia likes this.
  15. codamedia

My auto correct keeps changing that on me ... I write it as a "K"... :lol:

Absolutely! I would love to return... but it's tough with my summer schedule, and exchange rate.

16. Buckocaster51

Admin Post

No, I mean I PUT THE K IN KAMP. Before me it was just Camp. ;)

Back around 1998 on the Flatpick-L Listserv it just seemed like the thing to do one day...and it stuck.

codamedia likes this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Farmers Market jam yesterday-

I'm the big guy in the middle with Martin D-1
    We are a 'work in progress' the Fairlington Racoons ( from a raccoon problem in Arlington, VA area)

We play bluegrass, folk, acoustic blues -
    good players and singers, lot of variety- definitely on the jammy/ progressive side, but don't stray too far... 20190616_191515.jpg image2.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Rustbucket likes this.
  18. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

You may know my buddy who put together the Flatpick Apprentice blog. He was active on that Listserv. Does the Name Dave Warner ring a bell? He's from Oklahoma but is up in PA now.

19. Buckocaster51

Admin Post
    It does not, but non-real names were common and that is a long time ago. Flatpick-L was established in 1995.

It splintered off another earlier usegroup: music/makers/acoustic. I wonder if those things are even around now

RogerC likes this.
  20. codamedia

Ahhh .... now I get it :)
    I thought you were just correcting my correct spelling of the word :lol:

Buckocaster51 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.