1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any good way to fix a bad jack on a Boss pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by backalleyblues, Oct 19, 2015.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Howdy gang!

Seems I only come here anymore with problems-well, at least it's not those kind of problems:p

Today's problem is my dear old Boss RV-3 pedal-the input jack shall we say, has developed a mind of it's own, and will decide to pass signal when it feels like, and not on demand like it's supposed to... sometimes I can get it to pass signal by jiggling the jumper cord in front, but that's a hit-or-miss proposition at best, and certainly not during a gig! I've already tried re-seating the jack, different cords, etc. but still the same result-iffy signal...

Any ideas on what I can do (other than throw the pedal out)? I do love the plate setting on this pedal, it just seems to work for me...

Franc Robert

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I don't recall if the Boss jacks are mounted to the circuit board, I know a lot of the older Ibanez pedals were made that way.
    If they are CB mounted, it could be a crack in the solder joint. I have fixed a few older pedals that had the same issue you describe, I looked at the solder joints for the input / output jacks, saw some cracks, I reflowed the solder and no more problem.

If the jack itself is bad it can also be replaced , not as easy as the jacks that have wires from them to the CB but it can be done.

3. backalleyblues

Had a look inside the plate for a minute-one of those multi-pcb pedals, no telling how many boards are in there! I'll call my local shop tomorrow (they have a really good tech there) and see if he can do something with this pedal...

Franc Robert

4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

A good tech should be able to fix that pretty easily , sounds like it's either the jack or the solder joints for the jack.
    I bought one of those new when they first came out, it has some good reverb / delay sounds.

5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Boss jacks are not mounted to the PC board. There's a good chance it's just a wire that has frayed and is falling off its solder connection. If not, the jack is a standard Switchcraft part, readily available.

6. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Seems to me I fixed a Boss chorus once that had a bad jack. It was no big deal, I think I used a neutrik jack.

7. backalleyblues

the repair guy at the music store I usually go to doesnt' work there anymore... arrrgghhh!!!

Gonna have to look for some guts pics of an RV-3, to see if my cavemen soldering skills are up for the task...

Franc Robert

8. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

If it's the input jack you'll need a stereo jack.

9. CNILE

CNILE Tele-Meister

There is this thing you can get off of evilbay, which is basically just a jack with emery cloth on it. It's about 15 bucks, and you plug it in and twist it and it cleans the contact surfaces.

I need one myself, too- it comes in really handy, I used to have one a while back.

If the wires and solder joints look good, It would almost be cheaper and easier to get that, then you could clean ALL of your jacks on everything with it.

Just do a search for jack cleaning tool, it will come up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.