Any good aftermarket vibratos for strat?

Gutterguy

Tele-Meister
Like Floyd or Kahler that fit right in with little modifications?

I have pretty much caught up to my squier strat tuning issues with the vibrato. I will be getting locking tuners which should fix it. My luthier put in a brass nut and corrected my Strat’s crappy vibrato issues to some degree and said tuners should fix it for good.

Anyone out there put in a Floyd or the like and had success?

Thanks,
Russ

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted

vegatrem.jpg

I am very interested in these.

Buzzgrowl

Tele-Holic
FR and the like usually go with locking nuts. My impression is that also the holes are different then for a trad fender trem.

If you already chose locking tuners, it may be simpler to install a 2-point trem instead of a FR.

gmm52

Tele-Holic
I recently bought a Floyd Rose Rail Tail, but it's for a build I haven't finished, so I can't report on function. Good looking (but expensive) unit with some unusual features.

Rail tail

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
I've used gotoh 510 trems in scratch builds, both the 6 screw and 2 point, and both are great IMO. Some trems can get out of hand expensive, and I find these gotoh ones at a reasonable price for the quality you get.

One day I'd like to try the Wilkinson/Gotoh VSVG (6 screw). I also have my eyes on the Wudtone trem (both the Strat and tele one they offer)

If you're thinking of putting in a FR there are some considerations you'll need to make. Firstly there's a few different FR models. I believe only the rail tail can drop in without any mods. An original FR, if surface mounted, will need modification to the neck pocket (either by shimming or routing an angle). Or you can keep the neck pocket untouched, and route a recess into the body.