Any Gibson SG Owners Want To Say Something Nice About Their SG?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by taxer, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Chris Browne

Chris Browne Tele-Holic

I have one of these and it's great! I think those necks were left over from the 'gothic' sgs.

2. Rusty Rivers

Rusty Rivers Tele-Meister

Not a bad description. I've had a few SG's, really fun guitars and love the feel of the neck- fast and easy to play. I have a 2010 Standard w/ coil splits/ebony fretboard/Burstbuckers- best one I 've owned. Here w/ my LP:

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a huge Tony Iommi fan. He is what got me into the electric guitar. reading an interview when I was about 12 or 13 he mentioned he used a Stratocaster to play on the first Sabbath record, so I went and got a Strat. Little did I know that the SG was his preferred guitar. If I hadn't read that interview I might be posting as Gibby Salivas on that other forum right now!

?!?!

Nahhh!
    But I have always wanted an SG, just haven't found the right one at the right time. some beauties you got, ladies and gentleman.

4. SonicLou

SonicLou TDPRI Member

My story is kinda different, but here goes. I bought an sg in 1967 because my boy hood friend Frank (aka Earl Slick ) played one. I would listen to him play his and the tone was killer. I wasn't totally happy with mine however. I later realised the difference between mine and his was, he had the stop bar tail piece and l had the vibrato tail piece. I ended up selling it for $180.00 and bought a Les Paul. That was over 50 years ago. I never got his off my mind and knew l would get another one, one day. A few weeks ago l bought a 2017 sg standard t, and the guitar is unbelievable. The sound, feel, build, is so much better then my 67 was. I didn't expect to love this guitar. I basically bought it to get that monkey off my back, but it's a pure winner. Just wanted to give praise to Gibson for the quality of this guitar...

5. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

My guitar that got away was this 2003-04 Gibson Faded special with an ebony board and crescent moon inlays, pawn shop was asking $350 due to headstock damage that was repaired, wouldn't budge to $300 since the repair wasn't well done so left it. Still kick myself for it. All the ones i've come across have been $700+. I don't get how the faded series is more expensive than a studio or special of the same year (in my area)

6. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

My 2006 SG Standard has the thickest neck of any guitar I have. Love it. A flawless Gibson!, there I said it out loud. But it has the full face scratch plate which some folks hate. Original half face scratch plate seems to be most popular. And some have no scratch plate at all. Be careful what you choose. People may object to your scratch plate choice for years!

7. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Doesn’t the Iommi signature SG have 24 frets? Anyone tried one? I’m guessing it comes with gothic cross fretboard inlays.

8. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I got a 2012 SG Standard a few months ago. PAF pickups (I think) and batwing guard. Almost mint condition and I've had it set up nice. I really like it and can see me having it for quite a while.

9. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Mine as well.

She is a 2001 Standard. After many years with the same Tele and my bandmate playing an 2000 SG iin natural Burst I found a sister and bought it. I am a Bigsby guy so I had to install one. Not very keen with humbuckers loaded a Bridge Dimarzio twang King, a The creamery Wide range (humbucker sized) and now the SG is my principal guitar.

The most comfortable guitar ever, light, resonant, neck is a delight, chunky and fat. Get a Bigsby and leather strap and no neck diving.

Here she is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

A42F60B3-F1D3-4403-A4C5-C340553E18DC.jpeg
    Got my ‘72 SG for $250 back in the late 80s. It was cheap because 1. it was a ‘72 with the ugly control plate, and 2. it had been refinished the way you’d refinish a fixed fender on a crappy used car: a couple of thick coats of grey primer topped with a couple of thick coats of black spray-can paint. It was even uglier than it sounds, but after sanding most of the crap off the neck, it played great and sounded great. Finally stripped it down and gave it nice finish last summer.

brookdalebill and Chunkocaster like this.
  11. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I'm a huge fan of SGs.

My first SG was my first electric guitar ever. It is a 1979 SG Standard. I still have it. It is one of the most playable guitars I have ever come across.

I've also got a pair of 1998 SG Deluxes. These have three mini-humbuckers and the chicken head knobs. They are exceptional rock guitars.

Next up is a wine red SG Special followed by a plum purple one that had the stock pickups swapped out for a set of Gibson P94s.

My two DeArmond S73s with Goldtone pickups are relatives in the SG family. The based on the Guild Polara S-100, which was Guild's take on the double cutaway SG style design.

My Epiphone Korina G400 with Harmonic Design Z90s is the last branch on my SG family tree.

Did I mention that I absolutely love Gibson SGs?

12. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I must confess that I was never all that attracted to the Gibson SGs.

In the end, I guess that I already had the dual humbuckers in my Les Pauls, and couldn't see acquiring another similarly-equipped guitar with nearly identical controls. That, and I never saw an SG with a pick guard design that was pleasing to my eye.

Then, a few months ago, I fell in love with the 2016 Gibson SG Naked, with P-90 pickups, a natural finish, and no pick guard at all.

American Musical Supply had a small cache of them, brand new, for $799. (Beats the original MSRP of $1,299, I must say.) So I bought one.

I absolutely love it.
    Lightweight, eminently-playable, and it just feels good strapped onto me.
    And I really dig the P-90 tones! Gibson SG Naked 2016.jpg
    :)

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have owned every kind of guitar you can imagine, but never an SG. Like the OP I liked The Doors and many favorite guitarists of the day played them. Jerry Garcia, Eric Clapton, John Cippolina... But when I had to choose between an SG and a Les Paul, I went with the LP. I need to rectify my mistake at some point.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Luckily AMS doesn't take Paypal, or I would have bought one. I don't NEED another guitar, but... OK what can I sell to get $800?

12 month financing. Curse you! (It's on the way...) :D

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  15. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Well just look at this and tell yourself you dont want to crank it up to 12. Its a 2012 Std. This one has the 490/498 pickups which are absolutely great rock and heavy blues pickups. Neck is the large baseball bat that I have really come to appreciate and it's nice and lightweight. They really are great guitars

20141111_105756.jpg

16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I got this already nuetered for 100.00 its a 70's Norland special fretless wonder, it has been on every cross Canada tour I've done, I have pawned it a thousand timesand even pawned it so I could take my now wife on our first dinner date for her birthday over 40 years ago, I have sold it 3 times and boughtit back with out question, it will never leave again!. It plays and sound great and other than replacing the bridge posts is all original parts.

P1011365.JPG

17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

zom.jpg

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have my SG out now. I put my Telecaster away a few days ago. I play country and I play clean, not a typical use for an SG. I use the pickups blended with the volume pots set mostly to 4 and 6 or 6 and 4 with the tone on the loud pickup dimed and the other around 5. I like the clarity and definition. I play mostly finger style but today I grabbed a pick and was really surprised. I've been playing John Waite's "I'm Not Missing You" finger style for years. The SG with a pick is the way to go. I like the SG's attack and sustain with a pick better than my other guitars. This song cries out for it. The humbucker sound the way I use them isn't muddy, dark, or thick. I have four electrics, each with their own unique sounds. I'm really loving my SG today!

19. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My Junior might be ugly, but it's got a great personality.

[​IMG]

And it roars like a slightly-singed lion.

- D

Chip, Paul in Colorado and jonnyfez like this.
  20. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

I play Tele 90% of the time but I do have a 2008 SG Classic with P90s. I absolutely love the sound of the guitar and have for every minute I've owned it. Best P90 sound I ever heard and the guitar is very playable. Never had a Standard but may get one someday. More likely I'll get a Tele with hum buckers.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.