Any Gibson acoustic archtops in the house?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by toomuchfun, May 21, 2019.

1. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Had mine out for a spin and it was fun. It's a 1964 L-50.

Not a high end archtop (the high end ones have a raised fingerboard) but it has a nice snappy tone and good volume.

Anyone else have one?

64_Gibson_L-50.jpg

64_Gibson_L-50-2.jpg

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Very nice, I’m partial to arch tops.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I think that some archtop acoustics are aesthetically the nicest looking guitars made. Yours is very sweet looking. I wish I had a reason to buy one.

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

That is a beautiful guitar.

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Had an ES-175 for about 5 years. Sure it is sort of the entry level model, but a very nice one to play. I ended up selling it and replaced it with a Godin Kingpin II. Before everyone screams, they are actually quite similar sounding with great playability. The money difference paid off some bills at the time.

6. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

WARNING: GAS inducing thread!

7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Just picked up a 1930's L30. It belonged to a dear friend of mine that no longer plays. These are the same back and sides as an L00, with a f hole archtop instead. Very cool unique guitars. I might look into a fingerboard mount pickup at some point.

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

No, Just acoustics
    I have 2 J45s.

9. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

I have a friend with a Gibson L-12. Fun to play, but different in so many ways from a flat top. Without a pick it is hopeless. When you find the right way to get a sound out of it it opens up real loud. If you try to play it like a flat top it sounds kind of sad and thin and quiet.

I owned a Johnny smith with one floating pickup for a year. Man, that thing had a sweet tone!

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Uh, no, but maybe, when I grow up.
    Beautiful finish on your L50!

11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

One of my lifetime gear aspirations is to get a pre-war L5. I’ll also settle for a nice big Epi, an L7 or a nice L4. These are the only Gibsons and Epiphones I’d really want.

For now I have these: a young Chinese guitar pretending she’s old Kalamazoo wood (to the right) and an old German archtop pretending nothing (to the left)… both great, but I still want a Gibson or an Epi. Heck, a Gibson AND an Epi!

IMG_5917.jpg

Ricky D. and toomuchfun like this.
  12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Had a late forties ES-150 for about five years. Sold it two or three years ago. Fattest neck I've ever played. Succulent, honey-dripping old P-90. The thing was marketed as a budget jazz box, but it was the bluesiest-sounding electric in town.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a 1049 L5-P (Premier meant cutaway back then) that I stuck a floating pickup on. Looks like I gonna need a bigger coffin cuz I'm gonna be buried with it.

L5 (1).JPG L5side.JPG

14. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Only one I own is a 1935 Gibson-made Capital J2. Capital was the house brand of Jenkins Music and was structurally identical to a Cromwell (which also had a skunk stripe board inlay) or a Kalamzoo. Really nice chunky V neck and firestripe pickguard (which seems to be a lost art these days). In general though I prefer Epiphone archtops over Gibson and also own a 1953 blonde Triumph Regent (cutaway).

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    toomuchfun likes this.
  15. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

The blonde German guitar looks very much like a Höfner, from the inlays, bridge and tailpiece. With that De Armond Rhythm Chief pickup, it's not a million kilometres away from the c. 1939 Clifford Essex Paragon Deluxe on which Vic Flick played the James Bond theme. Here he is playing it again on the same guitar 50 years later in 2012:

RadioFM74 likes this.
  16. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I love archtops with a pickup. Not a fan of acoustics as they just dont have the volume IME to keep up with another guitar. My last one was a killer '38 Martin R18. Easiest playing, lowest action guitar I had including electrics! Great on the porch in the morning. But not with another guitarist...

17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Spot on! It’s a 1953 Höfner 465 in very good shape given its age. The little lady was their top-shelf Schlaggitarre back when it was made.

Thanks for the Flick video! He’s got that DeArmond waaaaaay to the bridge… for that sound, I got my tele :p My Höfner and DeA Rhythm Chief are for playing swing, so the pickup is right there at the end of the board.

Tony474 likes this.
  18. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Well toomuchfun that is a really pretty finish on your L50!
    My L50 is a '52. They are fun guitars, and had a long production run. I made a new pickguard for mine to mount controls for old DeArmond pickup without drilling holes in the guitar;) IMG_20190522_152910720.jpg IMG_20190522_152953829.jpg

teletimetx, toomuchfun and RodeoTex like this.
  19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Fugeddaboudit.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  20. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

We had plenty of Höfner guitars in the UK in the ‘50s and ‘60s, especially because of an import embargo on American guitars up to 1960. But the importers, Selmer, didn’t use Höfner’s model numbers, instead giving them names like Congress, Senator, President (I had one of those) and later the Committee and the top-of-the-range Golden Höfner. Most came either fully acoustic or with built-in pickups. I don’t recall having seen a 465 like yours in the UK, but I was only a youngster then and didn’t start playing until 1956, in the Skiffle era. I still have my first guitar from 63 years ago, a cheap round-hole steel-strung acoustic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.