1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Firebird enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by teletail, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Le Reclusif

Le Reclusif TDPRI Member

Get a Mk 2 non-reverse Firebird - they’re really nice.

DougM and teletail like this.
  2. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Everybody keeps saying “maybe if you had really long arms.”

I have a 6’6” wingspan.

I’ve never had a Firebird.

This place is going to be the death of me.

(And for the record, the newer “skewed” tuner lineup doesn’t look right to me. Straight pull with banjo tuners, please.)

ooglybong, bender66 and teletail like this.
  3. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue TDPRI Member

The old Firebirds are brilliant guitars. Best bridge pickup ever, and surprisingly comfortable. Although maybe not as good as a vintage instrument, I'm sure the new ones are good too, specially if you're getting a good price. You'll get used to the tuning pegs in no time at all.

teletail likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Here's the perfect amp to go with a Firebird,
    My Limited Edition Johnny Winter Micro Cube!
    20210212_191146.jpg

5. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

I owned an original Firebird V many years ago and regret selling it. I would consider buying a new one if they still had the banjo tuners.

Aesthetics is part of the charm of the Firebird, and while I’ve read good things about the Steinberger tuners, they just don’t appeal to me at all.

teletail likes this.
  6. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

7. sanchezj

sanchezj TDPRI Member

8. sanchezj

sanchezj TDPRI Member

I have a 2010 Gibson 2010 Firebird V.jpg Firebird V and love it. Tuners have never been a problem but you need to reduce tension before changing strings. My Firebird has the most beautiful neck. So playable. The mini humbuckers are a real treat. Take the plunge!

Fergyuk, DougM and teletail like this.
  9. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Allen Collins Firebird with dog ear P-90 in bridge position
    [​IMG]

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. chazeroo

chazeroo TDPRI Member

I've got a non-reverse with the three P-90s. I got it in '78. I had trouble keeping it in tune, so I replaced the tuners and the vibrato bar. That helped. About 10 years or so ago it had become a problem--microphonics from pups, wouldn't stay in tune, frets needing replacement--so I bought a MIM tele for $250 and loved it. I could finally afford an overhaul of the FB last year and it sings again. Love the P90s. Sounds better than ever. I keep the Tele out, too, because, well, you know.

DougM likes this.
  11. widefault

widefault Tele-Meister

My weirdo Maestro branded non-reverse

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Supposedly a prototype for a model that never went into production. Maestro was Gibson's sub-Epiphone brand, and was usually seen on single pickup LP and SG Jr style guitars as well as some mini-Vs.

Fergyuk, Old Plank, joe_cpwe and 8 others like this.
  12. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Cool guitar!

I had a Maestro fuzz pedal in the early 70's. It sounded like you were farting in water. But it was cheap!!

13. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond. You guys are really giving me GAS bad!

The store has a cherry firebird that I can try and if I like it they'll order me a new tobacco burst for $1,560.

14. Dion

Dion TDPRI Member

Had to try one again after watching this video!
    That tone is awesome!

15. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

Man I have always wanted one of those Non-reverse firebirds, but it seems that they are really hard to find.. So much cooler than the reverse ones. Super cool guitar charlie.

DougM and charlie chitlin like this.
  16. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I have one of the new 2020 "Inspired by Gibson" Epiphone Firebirds. I love it.
    https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPIQZX512/Firebird/Vintage-Sunburst

Hanging on the strap while standing, it is a very balanced guitar. I love hat... I had one of the Epiphone EB-3 bass take-offs and it was way way too neck heavy. To the point it was always drooping toward the floor. I sold it back to the place where I bought it and it is still hanging on the wall over there.

I really love the balance of the Firebird.

As far as the neck, it has a nicely bound next and a Les Paul feel to the neck profile. Similar to if they had chopped the neck off of a Les Paul Standard and put it on the Firebird

The Epiphone version has six-to-a-side tuners and they are mounted reverse headstock version
    Epiphone Firebird - 02.jpg

I looked at the Gibson version for as long as it took me to see the price tag at $1,999.00 and that was a huge turn off for me.

Epiphone ProBucker FB720 mini humbucker pickups. They react well with the volume and tone controls. Under the hood are CTS pots which I am really happt Epiphone is doing. That is usually the first thing I would swap out...

I popped of the extra $119.00 for the Epiphone Firebird case. They happened to have one in stock that day so I had them throw it in the case. MAP on the guitar is $599.00 so for less than $800 I got a really nice playing, sounding, and balanced axe. I would suggest you do a side-by-side taste test of the 2020 Gibson model and the 2020 Epiphone model, then decide if you want to spend the big bucks on a vintage Firebird.

I'm not a vintage-anything person, so for me this is the perfect buy... as are several os the other new "Inspired by Gibson" guitars Epiphone is coming out with.

This Inspired by Gibson 2020 Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard was just delivered to me last week Tuesday... (I got the actual one in the photos)
    https://www.nstuffmusic.com/p-12173...les-paul-standard-aged-dark-cherry-burst.aspx

ae00-52680_1_ - Copy.jpg
    This one just blows me away... just the right amount of flame for me... not that gawdy over-the-top thing PRS does (I think those are fugly)

--- this is the coolest Epiphone "Inspired by Gibson" model I've seen yet...

It includes all this cool stuff:

- Made in partnership with the Gibson Custom Shop
    - Gibson USA BurstBucker 2 & 3 humbucking pickups
    - CTS pots
    - Neck Profile '59 Rounded "C" (my fave LP neck profile)
    - Graphtec Nut
    - Switchcraft selector switch and output jack,
    - 50s era wiring (my fave humbucker wiring)
    - Mallory capacitors
    - Long tenon neck joint (like they did in the 1950s)
    - vintage-style brown hard case (wow, it comes with a case...)

Pretty much a "poor man's Les Paul Standard"

I'm poor and disabled and living on $800/mo social security disability, so I may be the perfect Epiphone customer. For the same $2,000+ Gibson wants for their stuff, I can have 3-4 guitars like this...

I was disabled March of 2016 by a surgery that went bad. Shortly after I had to sell every guitar, amp, pedal, mic, and speaker I owned...

I wasn't able to start buying guitars and gear again until January, 2018. So that was 3 years ago. In the last THREE YEARS I have bought 23 guitars (and awaiting the Big Brown Truck today for #24)... All of them between $200-$1,000 in price...

Check out this 2011 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue I gave a guy $200 for... it is spotless, has tons of tones with the 5-way switch, an ebony FB, real Mother of Pearl inlays, and coil split on the tone which splits both the humbucker and the mini humbucker... 200 bucks...
    Nighthawk Custom Reissue - 01sm.jpg
    Nighthawk Custom Reissue - 02sm.jpg

Gone ate the days we need to snobby our nose at off-shore guitars. If your heart pines for a Gibson, and you have the jack to cover it, then go for it. I used to be that guy, I was a contract field engineer for all the phone companies in the US. But that will never be me again as I am permanently disabled and I can't do hat job anymore.

But I found my niche with Epiphones even before they got a new Gibson/Epiphone CEO and even before they started doing an "Inspired by Gibson" thing... I also have some nice MIM Fenders I am proud of. One is a 2018 Classic Player Baja Telecaster. I found it at a pawn shop in mint condition for $300 (new they rattled the register at $825). 2018-19 was a good year for MIM Fenders... I also scored a 2019 Fender Deluxe (MIM) Nashville Telecaster... has 3 x Noiseless pickups and a 5-way blade... and the most recent one I got on Feb 1st, a 2018 Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster Special... nice 3-color burst, all the switches and rollers of the traditional Jazzmaster, $825 instead of like $2,000 for the USA model... My most recent Squier is a Squier HSS Stratocaster I got at a pawn shop for $140. This one has a really tick and rich 2-tone sunburst, not the typical Squier Affinity 2-tone that is like a blast of black aorund the edge, then a blah blah yellow in the middle, haha... not sure if this one might be a Squier Classic Vibe or Modern Player... with a slight tweak to the truss rod it has a super low action... almost too low, lol... The pickups are very bright, but the tone controls can be used to dumb them down into frequency use-able land. I bought this as a possible axe to mount a Roland GK-3 guitar synth pickups onto ... I may also upgrade pots, wires, switch, jack... and see how it sounds... usually that does it and I don't swap pups... if I do swap pups, I am thinking a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge, and then 2 x Duncan SSL-1's (vintage staggered) single coils... first a good setup, if that works, then a re-wire... if all is well at that point, new pups...

Anyways, I could go on and one about my cheap guitars that I love, haha

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Fergyuk and teletail like this.
  17. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

I own four, three Gibsons and an unfinished Chibson project firebird that I'm working on. I debated getting the 2020 model with 48 months no interest from GC, but decided to get a used 2016 model from MF instead because of the unorthodox headstock. I would recommend a used instead of the current model. There is no neck dive if the strap button is located on the back of the body behind the neck. I have an HP Studio Firebird that had the strap button located on the horn instead of the back of the body, so I moved it behind the body and problem solved. I also add or move strap buttons located on the horns of Explorers for the same reason.

Good luck!

18. dbrnhm

dbrnhm TDPRI Member

I have a 1976 bicentennial with the gold kluson planetary pegs which are backwards. I never noticed a tension issue but they are strangely balanced trying to dip neck down which does take getting used to.

teletail likes this.
  19. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

You're welcome. ;)

I own a FBI (Kluson banjos) & a china FBVII (Grovers like OP's image). Gibson did manufacture that 6 inline style in the 60's, so it's not out of line (pun) to reintroduce it. I get the feeling it's a cost cutting measure though. Removal of the headstock shelf too, 2 of the things I find endearing of FB's.

As to the tension your guy mentioned, I do feel it as the string length behind the nut might have something to do with it. Strings feel supple(?), but only EAD ish... I like it honestly. Also, a member put Steinburgers on one of these newer FBs. It looked slick.

The body is long, coupled with a neck/wing join at near the 17th feet and big headstock makes it large and in charge. You'll feel it seated.

If your salesman was in touch with things to complain about he'd forewarn you about those questionable 26k (bridge) pickups on modern Birds. geesh. Gibson is molesting they're classic guitar bit by bit to save a dollar.

Firebirds rule.
    20191019_230513.jpg s-l400 (1).jpg 20190515_013129.jpg 20191019_230246.jpg Message_1541571985963.jpg 20190613_095301.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  20. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

A friend had one and I liked the look, but not the thin neck. Recently I was jonesing over getting a firebird body that mates with a Tele neck and assembling it when I suddenly found this, two piece '63 style walnut body and '65 style slightly chunky zebrawood neck with zebrawood fretboard. I love my T-bird.

[​IMG]

Fergyuk, Old Plank, richiek65 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.