1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Fantasy Geeks Here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ElJay370, Sep 22, 2020.

1. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I dunno. His sense of humor was really attractive and I liked his writing style...and I read them as an adult. My copies are still in UHaul boxes, so they'll have to wait.

Somebody mentioned Faferd and the Grey Mouser...it took me all night to remember Fritz Leiber. I re-read "Ill Met in Lankhmar" a few years ago. It didn't hold up as well for some reason. Same with Robert Howard's "Conan" stories (which, as a teenager, I thought were excellent). Burroughs' Barsoom stories were fun, but I only read them when the last movie came out...so they were not really teenage memories being re-assessed.

Another favorite writer of mine is Alan Dean Foster. I tend to like writers who have a 'universe' and write within it. His "Pip and Flinx" series needs re-reading. I just finished re-reading his "Icerigger" trilogy just a few weeks ago. It has held up nicely...and is a great page-turner.

Another trilogy in the SF game is James P. Hogan's "Giants Star" series. Great writing with a 50s and 60s vibe. Has held up well.

Fantasy includes "alternative history" as a subgenre. I often read stuff in that vein. Eric Flint's "1632" series, Turtledove's stuff, etc.

I would guess that H.Beam Piper's "Little Fuzzy" series would be included in Fantasy. Great writer!

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i hate those books with a passion.

3. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

What about Roger Zelazny's "Amber" books? Or his stand alone novel "Lord Of Light" A Master of Fantasy:cool:

Nickfl and middy like this.
  4. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a theory that you always want to stay far away from Buicks when you encounter them on the road. My reasoning is this. Either 1. the driver is too old to be driving, or the 2. driver is a "no account and shouldn't be trusted" because they are driving a Buick that some old person in the family gave them for whatever reason and don't have it together enough to buy a car of their own, and probably don't have insurance.

I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but why risk it?

ElJay370 likes this.
  5. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

You can't go wrong with Michael Moorcock and Fritz Leiber. Between the two of them, there are enough books to keep you busy for a long time.

middy likes this.
  6. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry guys...carry on.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  7. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

+1 Alan Dean Foster kinda leans toward sci-fi, but stellar!
    Loved every Pip&Flinx adventure I ever read, great stuff!
    I also read a cool Fritz Leiber book , can’t remember the name but will never forget the space vampire priest story with the little blood sucking monkey familiars! Crazy stuff for a 13 y.o.!

8. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Yes you do. The first of the Last Chronicles was published in 2004, and the fourth and final in 2013.

In defence of the whole Covenant saga, it does take quite awhile for it to all get moving. Of the first trilogy I was a little meh after the first book, but it had laid the seeds so I continued on. I was off after a major knee ligament surgery and was in a full leg plaster, so had nothing better to do.

The second book really grabbed me, and the third imo was the best of the lot. Couldn’t put that one down!

The second trilogy was a full continuing story, whereas the first three were broken up over years, so the second was much easier to wade through. It’s the sort of story telling that you need to really get into your head and take it all in. Not for everybody, but I’m a big fan.

I won’t say anything about the third series so not to spoil it for any who decide to give it a go.

aging_rocker likes this.
  9. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

And just an interesting aside of the Covenant thing - when I formed my first HM band, I named it Despiser after the main protagonist of the Covenant series - Lord Foul The Despiser. The vocalist in my band got totally into the books, and he and I wrote several songs using different ideas/themes from the novels. The theme song I wrote called Despiser was a real foot stomper, and we used to end every gig with it before encores.

Incidentally, when Stephen Donaldson released the first of the final four books, we emailed him to ask a few questions about them and told him about the band etc. He replied to us and seemed genuinely interested in what we’d done, and was also quite chuffed that we had been so influenced by his work. Came across as a very nice guy.

aging_rocker likes this.
  10. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I may have to revisit some Moorcock too. I loved the Jerry Cornelius books, but haven't read them in decades. Elric was good too.

I've just remembered about M. John Harrison's 'The Pastel City' and others I can't remember the titles of...it was a long time ago...

I am currently in the middle of Justin Cronin's The Passage, quite enjoying that. I think there's a TV series been made?

11. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I think I like Moorcock’s Corum novels the most.

The Angle likes this.
  12. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

I liked the Load of The Rings, but I really like hard science fiction.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  13. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Three pages in and no-one has mentioned David & Leigh Eddings' fantasy series? The first two series, The Belgariad and The Mallorian are 5 books each. There are others as well but these were the first and second and set in the same world.

7171551 likes this.
  14. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Have you read any David Brin?

7171551 likes this.
  15. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

No I have not. I like Asimov, Clark, Card, Dick, Heinlein, Niven and Herbert to name a few. If it is hard science fiction I will probably like it.
    Lately I have been reading Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories.

7171551 likes this.
  16. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

Have you read Wool by Hugh Howey?
    It is very good. The only thing I didn’t like is that he should have done more research into SCUBA diving. The bends mainly. Other than that it’s great.

middy likes this.
  17. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

I did see and liked the movie The Postman.

M2roadwarrior and branbolio like this.
  18. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

I’ve lately been real interested in the Fantasy comic art stuff by Jean Giraud aka Moebius. The Heavy Metal Magazine stories he did like Arzak is my ideal look of fantasy

always wanted to get into D&D but never knew anyone into it. Is there good online platforms for this?

johnny k and middy like this.
  19. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Haven't tried this, but I've heard good things..

https://roll20.net/

20. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

He worked with jodorowsky. Interesting characters.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.