1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Fantasy Geeks Here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ElJay370, Sep 22, 2020.

1. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

I used to play D&D a fair bit as well. Tolkien, Donaldson etc are great. Have you read the Conan series? They are worth it. Also I enjoyed Terry Brooks Shannara series. The first three are excellent.

Macrogats and M2roadwarrior like this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

After I left home or went away traveling my box of those books I'd been into were stored downstairs where my Dad had a comfy chair to hang out in the warmer weather to play his tapes or read..

Years later back home again I found out that my Dad had read all my books, loved them and bought a whole lot more of that genre.. Anne Mc Caffery was his fav.... I ended up reading most of those books Dad added to my box and another box of more...

just thinking now about how we'd connected on that level of interest back then.... yet, at the time it didn't seem as special as it does now that he's gone....

3. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Never played D&D. I played a few CRPGs though, i would like to get into wizardry, or might and magic, but i don't think i would have the attention span required for theses games. I like the fallout games.

Is there any video games close to what you could experience in a table game of D&D ?

as for books, i tried lord of the rings. But i just can't do it. I have to read the same sentence 10 times, and by the time i get to the end of the sentence, i forgot what the beginning was about. I guess it is just not for me.

branbolio and M2roadwarrior like this.
  4. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I read some fantasy 30 years ago and it did little for me, so I do not consider myself a fantasy guy, but I love sci fi.

I do love Robert E Howard and Lovecraft, but honestly I do not consider them fantasy as Howard has a very hard edge and Lovecraft seemed more horror to me.

That said, Peter Hamilton's Void Trilogy (which is part of his larger Commonwealth Saga) has deep fantasy elements that are very interestingly used within the larger sci fi context. Those books are surprisingly good, especially since I utterly hated his "Night's Dawn" series.

On the other hand, my favorite author Richard K Morgan ventured into fantasy with his "A Land Fit for Heroes" series, and they are a) incoherent and b) really gay. I don't mind the latter so much, but frankly lost interest because I had no idea what was happening due to the former. They are weird books. I never read the third book, and honestly I should reread the the first two one more time just to be sure since I like Morgan so much.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  5. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

For some reason when i read Robert Howard, i thought well, this description of whatever character is a bit on the homoerotic side.
    As for lovecraft, i like him, i think he is a fantastic writer. I mean his style is what i would describe as fantastic.

6. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Yes! And Moorcocks Dancers at the End of Time is very cool.

aging_rocker likes this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I recommend the Wheel of Time series...by Robert Jordan.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  8. Echo79

Echo79 TDPRI Member

when is Rothfuss gonna finish it??? Been waiting forever it seems.

Danjabellza likes this.
  9. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

It will never be finished. Don’t start.

10. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

If you like grittier fantasy, try the Black Company series by Glenn Cook. It’s the chronicles of a mercenary company that reads like a Vietnam war memoir on acid.

Also an amazing series is the First Law trilogy and associated novels by Joe Abercrombie.

For some high fantasy with excellent dialog and humor, try Jack Vance’s Dying Earth novels.

For an extremely deep and mysterious epic that stands multiple re-reads, each one different, try Gene Wolfe’s Book of the New Sun series. Or any of his books, really.

Bowen and Echo79 like this.
  11. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

The Covenant Chronicles is very polarizing. I forced my way through the first book 35 years ago and didn’t like it then. Tried it again this year. Still hated it. Just not entertaining for me.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  12. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

+1 Burroughs Mars series, also Venus series and everything else by him
    +1 Wheel of time, and if you like that, Sword of Truth series by Goodkind
    Burroughs fans will definitely love Philip Jose Farmer, try the World of Tiers series
    D&D fans - The Dark Elf Trilogy by Salvatore, also Icewindale series, Forgotten realms
    The Jhreg series is awesome by Steven Brust
    I’m currently reading (for the third time) True Game series by Sheri Tepper and just finished the Skyshard series by Jack Whyte , Arthurian fans should read, good fun
    I haven’t played D&D in years but do enjoy ESO, Skyrim, and Conan Exiles on PS4, it’s always fun slaying monsters with my buds no matter the medium! Also, Stephen King does good fantasy- try Dragon Eye, classic fantasy at its best!

johnny k likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like fantasy a bit, not too far out there though. Some get just cartoonish. What I really like is end-of-the-world stuff. After some world disaster etc. Read the Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin!
    But well done fantasy like Game of Thrones, Tolkien, Lewis etc are great.

14. DDickens

DDickens TDPRI Member

Tad Williams’ Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Trilogy was a fun read. Has some Tolkien influences as far as invented languages go. I’d read it again.

For viewing pleasure, there’s a super-fun documentary on prime called “Looking for the Hobbit,” which follows John Howe (Tolkien illustrator) around as he goes to different places thought to have influenced Tolkien and talks with experts and “experts” about Tolkien creatures/characters and their likely origins. It’s really entertaining even though it’s pretty...low budget is the wrong term...ummm...no frills? Looks like prime wants you to buy it now, but it is worth a watch. In fact, now I want to watch it again!

For non-fantasy escapism, Shogun is a captivating (pun intended) read. I couldn’t put it down.

M2roadwarrior and 7171551 like this.
  15. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

no, but I confess to Greek fantasies

upload_2020-9-23_10-42-49.jpeg

M2roadwarrior and JL_LI like this.
  16. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I'm not a fantasy geek and I'm not sure calling the Discworld stuff "fantasy" is entirely fair. But fantasy is part of it, and was explicitly what got it started (according to Sir Pterry himself).

But I can say that reading those has enriched my life. They're superb. If any of youse decides to start in on them, be aware that it is indeed better to start at the start, but it's not until a couple books along that Pratchett settled into the style and format he would maintain throughout.

Nickfl likes this.
  17. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

There are so many thing that I have read. I usually stick to something more along the lines of David Weber's Hard Science Fiction, but I read part of a fantasy a while back before my classes started. It was called "Time of the Dark" by Barbara Hambly. It was definitely an interesting premise. What I read of the series was pretty good.

If you want something that is more science fiction than fantasy but not hard science fiction, and have a hankering for bullets, spaceships, and a wide variety of situations I would recommend Elizabeth Moon's "Vatta Wars" and "Vatta's Peace" series. Its only about 1000 pages total, but you can actually get to like the characters and see some growth. If you are a heavy reader you can read the whole thing in about ten days. I might be biased though. I've read it through about seven times in the last three years.

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’m not a gamer but I love the music, score really, of Death Stranding. There must be money in games. Sony spent movie soundtrack money on the soundtrack for a game.

19. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

I started back in 1980 and to this day I still have a D&D session every Thursday night.

As for books and literature, I’ve been through (and been influenced by) most of the big ones. Tolkien (ugh, those movies), Lewis, Howard, Jordan, Moorcock, Leiber, Donaldson, Gaiman, Lovecraft, Herbert, Heinlein, Niven, Clarke, basically the works.

Lately (in the last 10 years) I’ve gotten super into Neal Stephenson. His System of the World series is amazing, and his more sci-fi one-offs are equally interesting. The former is highly recommended if you’ve got time for 2,000 pages and like a mix of alternate history, natural philosophy and mythology building. Weighty stuff with cracking prose.

20. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

Isn't that more medium hard science fiction? Where Newtonian-Einsteinian physics work as they do in our world but any of the tech is not necessarily explained in excruciating detail. Meaning that it would be unlike Star Wars where the tech just works because the author says it does? But unlike something long the lines of Weber's Honor Harrington epic where weber gives extreme amounts of attention to every little detail of every major technological invention. I always thought it was somewhere in the middle, between the two.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.