Any Fans of the Fender Yale Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by zimbo, Mar 7, 2013.

1. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I saw a previous thread about the Yale and it looked pretty popular. I just found one at the local GC for the ridiculously low price of $249. I would have bought it but I have too many Rivera era Fender amps already.

What was said in the last thread was that the Yale Reverb was a SS amp manufactured by Fender during the Rivera era in the 80's. It sounded great.

2. daddyopapa

daddyopapa Tele-Afflicted

Is $249 a ridiculously low price for a 80s SS Fender amp?

Alex W likes this.
  3. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

How much different is it from the Frontman 25r? Maybe it has a better cabinet, better components?

I've also seen "Starcaster" amps that look exactly like the Frontman but $30 more.

What is the difference between these 3 25 watt reverb 1x10 solid state amps?

(I should add that I don't know anything about tube OR solid state amps or how to build them.)

4. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a Rivera era sidekick reverb 20 watt practice amp that I love. $250 seems like a high price tag to me though. There's an 83 Fender London Reverb that's been sitting untouched on our local craigslist, the guy won't budge the price down from $325 and it feels like the ad has been up for over a year.

6. AirBagTester

After doing a bit more research, yes - the Yale looks to be a totally different beast than the other budget Fender SS amps I mentioned. I still don't know what kind of price tag to put on it though... if it's a 65 watt 1x12 amp $250 still seems a bit high, unless maybe there's some kind of "rare" factor that makes it more valuable. But still, $250 isn't much for a guitar amp. I read the thread you linked to and people seem to like them I guess.

I recently saw some other 65w Fender SS 1x12 amp (Stage? Deluxe? I don't remember) for $150. It had more knobs too. But I didn't play it; maybe it was a piece of junk.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have never....until now...heard/read any reference to 'Rivera era' with regard to FEnder SS amps. YEs, these SS amps were built from '81-'87. I don't know for sure that P. Rivera either did or did not have any input in any amps except the handwired tube amps that were built from'82-'85. FWIW, I spoke to Paul Rivera soem years ago about his involvement with the 'Rivera Era' Fender handwired tube amps. His answer to my question about his involvement was that he was not an 'in-house' Fender employee at that time but rather was hired as a consultant for those hand-wired amps...Champ II, Super Champ, Princeton REv II, DRII, Concert II and TRII.
    I have never heard/read anything that extended the 'desirability' of the Rivera/Jahns tube amps to the solid state FEnders that were built during the same time frame. Some folks will use hype to 'market' anything, though....and I suspect that folks have started tagging 'River era' on anything FEnder sold at that time in order to try to make more money than they would otherwise. HEy, Fender did it with the Super Champ XD, right?
    Imho, that SS Yale amp is just that ...a used solid state amp.
    $250 for this Yale REv???? That goes a good way to buying a decent tube amp in my world. YMMV.....
    but imho that amp is worth maybe $75 for a starter amp.

8. Mumbet

Mumbet TDPRI Member

I am a fan! The older thread helped influence me to pick one up a few months ago. It was going for only $130 though, and I ended up trading a Super Champ XD that had developed a buzz for it. I could have probably sold the XD for more and bought it outright but didn't bother.
    The Yale is rare, and "Rivera-era" (whether he had any input or not, I could care less), but I'd still think $250 is slightly high. The store I got it from also had the Studio Lead, same era, similar specs but two channels. I thought the Yale sounded better, especially the deeper reverb, but I liked them both. In my opinion either is worth $250 in terms of specs (quality solid wood cab, good pots, spring reverb, etc.) and more importantly sound, but the according to the market you should be able to get a better deal.

9. Mumbet

Mumbet TDPRI Member

Here is the manual if anyone is interested. http://www.stratopastor.org.uk/stra...statefenders/harvardandyalereverbiimanual.pdf
    That site has info on most of the so-called Rivera Era amps. Like I said, aside from sound my favorite part about the Yale is that it just feels better made than a lot of current amps in the price range.
    Even better, as others claim on that older thread, it has great Fender clean tones and one of the best touch-sensitive overdrives of any solid-state amp. The volume/gain/master/3 way EQ setup is interesting compared to the traditional fender style and really does let you blend in just the amount of drive you want.
    Mine still needs a pot cleaning, but I'm very happy with it so far.

10. AirBagTester

Thanks for the info! I'm kind of starting to get into Fender solid state amps. They turn up quite a bit in the used amps section of many local music shops.

11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

A 30 year old solid state amp is going to have some of the same problems as a 30 year old tube amp plus a few problems of its own.

A 30 y.o. amp is close to or beyond the "sell by" date for its electrolytic capacitors. We're seeing more recent Roland SS amps with failed electrolytics.

Some transistors are obsolete. They don't have the enthusiast following of tubes so it sometimes takes a little creativity to keep an old SS rig running.

I think $250 for an old SS amp is lavish. If it were up to me I'd hold out for a Lab Series L5 or a Tech 21 Trademark 30. The Lab Series is it for vintage solid state. The little Tech 21 is it for new solid state. Three hundred buys you a Tech 21. It's all analog. It contains a Sansamp. It doesn't contain any digicrap.

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 on the Lab SEries and themodern TEch 21's, muchxs.

Re: 'Rivera era'....this tag for the last handwired all-tube
    fender regualr production amps has nothing to do with any of Fender's solid stae amps of that time. Rivera was not a Fender employee. He was contracted, as I understand it from talking with him, as a consultant on this line of tube amps. These amps connsist of the Champ II, the Super Champ, the Princeton REv II, the DR II, the Concert II and the TRII....all handwired tube amps.

IMho, calling all of the amps from this time period 'Rivera era' amps is like calling the first line of Fender solid state amps that were introduced in 1968 is like calling that line of lousy SS Fenders 'Leo Era' simply because Leo was still a consultant to Fender.
    As I noted, imho, someone is trying to jack up the price of some old SS Fenders by referring to them as 'Rivera ERa' amps.....much in the way that FEnder marketed the Super Champ XD and now the Super Champ x2 so as to 'tag along' on the market value of the vintage Super Champ. People will bend things to make an extra buck in all sorts of ways, ime. That we have never heard anyone call any solid state Fender amp from '82-'86 a 'Rivera era' amp until very recently bolsters my suspicion, imho. YMMV.....but $250 is weay much fro tha SS Fender, in my estimation. Again..ymmv. IF I find one, I give you a call....because I like to make profit and there is no way I am giving anything close to $250 for an amp like that. Maybe I'll do the same with the newly tagged 'Leo Era' first series of SS FEnders, which were abysmal amps. ????? Those should be worth maybe a $1K with such a new tag on them, right?
    End of rant....
    Ya'll have a good one.

13. Mumbet

Mumbet TDPRI Member

The way I see it, "Rivera-era" is commonly used to refer to the amps produced when Rivera was a consultant, distinguished by blackface styling and Mesa-Boogie influenced circuits. This photo shows the solid states included alongside the tube amps, for what it's worth.

[​IMG]

Again, not saying they are Rivera-designed or as good as those that were. The name just distinguishes them from other series, like "Red Knob," "Silverface," etc. It's hardly surprising that everyone from Fender to used sellers employ such names as marketing strategy whenever possible.

I also like what I've heard of the Lab series and Tech 21's. But the "undiscovered" nature of these Fenders is part of their appeal, and I would still argue that if you can find one of these more in line with market value ($150 or below) you are getting a lot of amp for the price!

14. sheinke

sheinke TDPRI Member

I bought one of these a few years ago for $150. Now mind you I'm a tube guy, with a '68 Bronco (Vibro Champ), '74 SF Super, Bedrock BC-50, and a '64 Gibby Falcon. And yet, I've dropped the Yale Reverb into several recordings, because when writing & rehearsing parts in my home control room at low volume, I just dug what I was getting from it! The ablility to get a nice low-volume breakup is also great for practice when the wife and kids are in bed.

15. aleku

aleku TDPRI Member

I'am a fan. Bought it a year ago for 150 Euro and still amazes me. A lot of tones. Fat, organic, musical overdrive. Cool spring reverb. Pro cabinet. Seems to me made more for studio recording. A very complex tool. I have Sidekick Reverb 25, surprisingly good SS, but very limited in tones. In comparison, Yale belongs more to pro league. A lot of discoveries in his EQ/knobs interaction. The only thing I would try to change sometimes, for improvement, it's the speaker.

16. br000c

br000c TDPRI Member

I saw one in a pawn shop a couple of years ago, listed for 180€. I did not know what it was, saw it was solid state but looked really weel build. I tried it with a not so nice guitar from the wall, and it sounded good. Went back home to grab one of my guitars and try it again, and the Yale Reverb followed me home. I really liked the very fenderish clean sound and the nearly tube like dynamic.
    I then learned about the "Rivera era" and nice features of these amps, especially the solid wood cabinet construction. According to its serial number, mine was made in 1984

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Treynor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.