1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any experience with the Bugera V5 Infinium 5 watt amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Oct 30, 2020.

1. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Then I would stick to Supro. I believe they make a low watt Blues King with an 8 inch speaker

Jared Purdy likes this.
  2. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

They do, and they also make another 5 watt amp with spring reverb. It's about $400 more than the Blues King. I've got my eye on it, but none of the stores that carry Supro have one in stock.

TeleAndSG likes this.
  3. Twin52

Twin52 TDPRI Member

I had one, definitely too dark for me. Cant recommend.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  4. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

I had one. It was OK, quite dark sounding, and didn’t do anything to make my style of play sound flattering. It was also much heavier than it could have been designed and built. I gave it several months, and tried various tubes, etc.

The guy I sold it to sounded stellar with his style of playing.

I went back to my Vibro Champ, and my Fender Bronco with a modded circuit. I use a Dr. Z Brakelite attenuator with the Bronco, when I feel that my sound benefits from its use. It just makes me sound more professional.

The other amp I turn to for 5 watt play is my Mesa Express 5:25 plus. The master volume on that amp is stellar, on both channels.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  5. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Can you ask them to order one for you?. Either the 1605 or the Blues King 8"?.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  6. Jared Purdy

Given supplies, it seems my journey is taking me in the direction of the Fender 57 Champ ($1399CDN) and the Supro 1605R, (also $1399CDN). Both are 5 watts, the perfect size. Supro has the added benefit of on-board spring reverb. I imagine they sound totally different.

7. Jared Purdy

I was just speaking to a sales person at one of the stores I shop at. I called to enquire about the Fender 57 Champ, and I was told one is coming in within two weeks. I'm going to call them back tomorrow to inquire about the Supro 1605R. I'm not sure if I have to pony up if I ask them to order. I'm not paying anything until I audition first.

TeleAndSG likes this.
  8. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Correct. Better to play one first, with your gear. The Champ seems very very nice!.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  9. Jared Purdy

Funny you should mention the 5:25. I'd never seen one before. I'm a Mesa fan, having owned two Lonestar Specials. My only problem with that model is the size and the weight. The cleans are to die for.

I was auditioning the 5:25 at a local shop, actually, they're national in Canada, Long & McQuade, and some puerile, heavy metal moron came into the demo room, proceeded to plug in, and dimed his amp and thumped away on overdrive power chords. I couldn't even think, let alone hear the amp. I was playing at conversation volume levels. The useless staff did nothing until I walked out into the main room and told them that the guy was a ****ing idiot. Too little too late. They offered to tell him to turn it down. I walked out of the store. I've spent thousands of dollars in that single store, and I don't think I'll go back there for anything.

10. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

Haven't had a chance to play the Class 5. Only remember the disappointment in the Origin 5 when stock.

But I would give the Origin 20 a serious look depending on your budget. It's a very solid amp that I would like to get sometime over the next year.

Drew617 and Jared Purdy like this.
  11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I really like them and still consider buying the head version, but I ended up going with the VHT S6U. Nevertheless, the T5 was the best sounding amp during A/B testing with my wife's stock Gibby LP Studio w/ humbuckers. If that is what you play, then it should be a candidate for sure. OTOH, that new Supro looks interesting, but I have yet to play on one.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  12. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

I had one for a minute a decade ago. IMO nothing special. Mine was incredibly dark, veiled, nearly unusable (with a SC Strat!) with the stock Turbosound speaker. It was okay and Champy enough with a Champ-appropriate speaker. They may have updated the speaker spec by now, "Turbosound" is their brand and is relatively meaningless.

The Bugera T5 head is actually not bad and quite flexible, but a different animal altogether.

Second @Mark the Moose's rx for the Special 6. They're still built relatively cheaply but the circuit is legit, sounds good/sounds better, and is more repairable or moddable than an average PCB factory amp. The stock speaker is OK although I'd still change it out for something cheap of vintage Jensen style. A $50 Weber Sig or WGS Veteran 10 would do nicely.

The Monoprice 5 watter is also totally okay and cheaper yet at $100 new.

I'm of the opinion that attenuation of a low-watt amp is kinda pointless. In my experience it'll still be too loud if insisting on tube distortion, and attenuated clean might sound dull just because the speaker cone isn't moving enough. I find I'm served just as well by turning the volume down.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Jared Purdy likes this.
  13. Jared Purdy

I just took a look at the Marshal Silver Jubilee 2525c 5/20 1/12 tube amp. Looks interesting. $1699CDN. Seems to have great reviews. Not sure I'd need those gain settings. So why pay for stuff I won't need? A very local store has one. Need to buy a reverb pedal for it. Going to see if I can't check it out on Monday.

14. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

The Class 5 is kind of one-trick, but it's a very good trick if you're after a Marshall. Way different thing than a lot of the other options put forth here, which I think are more generally Champ-y.

The Origin 5 is more different still, because it sucks badly. :D

marc2211 and Jared Purdy like this.
  15. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum TDPRI Member

I’m going to pile on here one more. I had one for a couple months- bought when guitar center was offering 180 day returns.

I never bonded with it. It has one sound- kinda plexi-ish cleans and crunch. It was nice, but it was not flexible at all.

I noticed that the more the amp was attenuated, the darker the sound was. I bought it for this feature, but it wasn’t a huge deal really. It played nice with my treble booster, but not impressive enough for me to really use it that often.

I just returned it this week actually, and I got the notification just 20 minutes ago that the Marshall DSL-1 I exchanged it for arrived at the store. I can let you know how that goes if you like.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  16. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

@Jared Purdy , I have had several Mesa amps, and the V Twin pedal. The heaviest combo was the F-100 212 combo at over one hundred pounds.

I picked up a couple of months old Mesa Express 5:25 plus used at what I felt was a good price. I kept all the Mesa gear for months, comparing with pedals, guitars, and my hoard of amps.

I also pulled the V30 speaker and loaded a Jensen Neo Tornado into the amp. the amp now weighs about 36 pounds and can sound like a heavy weight if I add my Mesa wide body closed back. Comparing back to back with the sweet F-100, the Express proved itself to be more versatile, better featured, near the same perceived dB, not a back breaker, and safer carrying while climbing stairs.

It can easily be set to cover the sound of numerous amps that I owned. So a dozen good amps have left. It really doesn't need drive pedals, but still keep and use several for simplicity sake, or as an enhancement.

The 5 watt settings and master volumes are exceptional. Truly something unexpected and pleasing.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Jared Purdy likes this.
  17. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

As for the Marshall Class 5, I agree with @Drew617, for me it was pretty much a one trick kind of amp, a good one at higher volume, but that's about it. I already had several amps that covered that and a lot more, with more versatility with respect to good tone at reduced volume as well. The Class 5 seemed to like being run hard and loud. I want more from an amp.

Jared Purdy and Drew617 like this.
  18. Jared Purdy

Part of this whole search is find an amp that does not need to be run loud. I think I'll have to check out the Fender 57 Champ and the Supro 1605R. They're the same price, both are 5 watts. The Supro is a bit more versatile right out of the box as it comes with spring reverb.

19. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

I disagree...I have about 13 tube amps, but I still love my little red Micro Cube at bedroom levels....mostly use the classic stack (plexi) or Blackface setting +pedals

I also have small 5W amps in my collection: VHT special 6 head ("Fender BJR/Vox"), Vox AC4 head, Blackheart little Giant ("Marshall Plexi")...all very good

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  20. Jared Purdy

You disagree about which statement?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.