1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any experience with the Bugera V5 Infinium 5 watt amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I'm looking for a small amp for noodling around with that I'll keep in my basement. The specs on this little thing look impressive enough: Class A - tube, powered by a single EL84, a single 12AX7, solid state reverb (they call it "integrated high-definition"), single tone control, built in two way power attenuator (not sure what "built in" means).

It's small, which is want I'm after, and it'll no doubt sound infinitely better that the little Roland Micro Cube that I have in the family room right now.

I've also looked at the Supro 1605R, which is nearly triple the price, and also the Fender Champ, also triple the price. If I could find a Swart Space Tone or the Atomic Jr., that would also work.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I layer around with one once. It was ok, not great. Look around for a used VHT Special 6.

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Tried one, and returned it same day under Amazons return policy. Some love them. I found it uninspiring, flaccid and dull. This worsened when using the power scaling thingy. The 'Infinium' stuff seems overly complicated and wholly unnecessary on such a simple device.
    The Monoprice 5 Watt is a clone of the Laney Cub 8 ( named for the speaker size ). To my ears, the Laney, and by extension the Monoprice, wiped the floor with the Bugera. The VHT is up another level.

JSMac and Jared Purdy like this.
  4. Jared Purdy

Thanks for the feedback. I've never tried a Bugera of any model. A number of stores in the area carry VHT, another amp I have no experience with. I'll take a look on line.

EDIT: It appears that not single store that I just looked at in the entire greater Toronto area (population over 6 million) carries VHT!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  5. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I own one with the Turbosound speaker. I'm good with it. Some people find them to be dark sounding, but I've never had that problem. I also like the sound of their G5 head, especially through a 2x12 cab.

Biggest downside for me is they made it 5 Watts into 4 Ohms, which makes running it to an external cab damn near impossible unless you custom build it.

I've tried the Monoprice 5 Watt amp and it felt like a toy. The construction on that feels beyond cheap.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  6. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

I too had one, for a week. Plainly speaking, it was too dark. Tried different tubes, pedals but tone was very limited and perhaps dull to my ear. Traded in and never looked back.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  7. Jared Purdy

Ya, I think I'm going to move past this one. Pickings are slim right now. Most of the stores don't have anything I want, and I'm not going to order without trying first.

The Supro looks interesting. I briefly had the 12" Blues King, but when I A/B'd it to my Fender 64 hand wired Princeton Reverb, I placed it on Kijiji.

8. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I'm also looking for a 5w amp was looking at the Bugera, but was about to order a Marshall Origin 5c and 1x12 extention cab...

Anyone used one of these?

Jared Purdy likes this.
  9. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

You could take a shot online with a good return policy. I think the biggest improvement is the 10" vs 8" speaker.

10. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I had one - it had a loud static hiss .

Jared Purdy likes this.
  11. Tonyapple

Tonyapple TDPRI Member

Not much love here for this amp but I have one and frankly think its a bargain. 5w tube amp with an attenuator for $200. For a home amp i think its perfect. I did change the stock tubes and the speaker to a Jensen Special Design. So lets say Im $250 all in on it. I think its warm, has good reverb and crank it up half way on the gain/volume and You have solid amp overdrive. Sure you can spend a bunch more $$ and get a better amp. But for a home amp this thing is a really good value.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  12. Jared Purdy

I was also looking at this. I've never really thought of myself as a "Marshall guy". I've always had Fender, Swart and Mesa Boogie amps.. But, that Marshall looks intriguing. Now, I just have to find a store that has one so I can try it out.

marc2211 likes this.
  13. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

My advice for what it's worth - Don't.

The 5 watter sounds like junk without serious help. The stock speaker is both tinny and buzzy, while also being boxy and farty as soon as you start driving the amp. Thankfully it does sound a lot better through a 2x12 or 4x12, and reasonable at low gain settings, but I'd just as soon go to the Origin 20 combo at that point, and use the attenuator to bring down the volume. The Origin 20 is a FAR better sounding amp imo.

marc2211 and Jared Purdy like this.
  14. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

Not to side track but do low wattage tube amps slowly "break in" ?

I think my Wangs Mini 5 is getting louder!

15. Jared Purdy

Any take on the discontinued Class 5? I'm also considering the Fender 57' Champ. I've read great things about it.

16. Jared Purdy

Ya, you are side tracking my post. AKA Hijacking.

If you want to find out if small amps get louder, start a thread.

Nahtabot likes this.
  17. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

I second the VHT.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  18. Jared Purdy

Not common at all in Toronto. There are no dealers that carry it. Blackstar is everywhere, as is Supro, Fender (of course) and most of the other usual subjects.

19. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

I found a Laney Cub 8 new. 5 watts, 1 6V6, one 12AX7. Swapped the stock speaker for a Jensen C8R. Very simple amp, but I'm happy with it.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  20. Jared Purdy

I haven't seen any Laney's i any of the stores here either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.