1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Experience with a Good Air Mattress?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nightclub Dwight, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I'm cleaning out the guest bedroom this week. The complete spring cleaning--moved the bed and book cases so I can give the room the long overdue cleaning that it needs. Its a small bedroom, and we own lots of books. It doubles as my music room, but it is really cramped. I had been thinking about lofting the bed so that I could store amps underneath. My partner isn't ecstatic about that idea, and she usually turns out to be right about things like that. Now that the bed is out of the way I got the idea about removing the bed entirely and going with an inflatable mattress for when family visits (rarely).

Does anyone have experience with a decent air mattress? It would see light use. My brother visits every few years, or the occasional friend who had too much to drink to drive home.

I don't mind spending some money to get a good one. I'd store it in the walk-up attic when its not in use.

Is this a viable idea or are they all junk? To be clear, this would not be a permanently installed bed. it would just be for occasional use, so it has to be moveable when deflated.

If this works out I can finally get a dedicated music room to set up equipment instead of having amps stashed all over the house.

Chiogtr4x and effzee like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Futon that folds into a couch maybe?
    Another option is the fold down bed. Friends of mine had one of those, worked well and had a regular mattress.
    Air matresses are a turkey shoot it seems. I'd buy a thick and expensive one. I have maybe 3 I havent used in years, they are maybe 6" thick and just not enough or comfortable really. I think they make a 12" thick now.

Nightclub Dwight and Guitarteach like this.
  3. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

For occasional use only? I would just buy one at Bed Bath & Beyonce or the like. But don't store in an attic the hot/cold fluctuation would prolly destroy it quickly.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  4. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Tons of experience with those as we were camping through Utah and would pick them up and abuse them. Then when we came back to California ran through a couple more. I should’ve listened to my girl I thought I would splurge and buy a better larger 80 $100 one whatever it was, she suggested get a smaller one because it was only gonna be temporary. She was right they have them starting at $20 or less I think at Walmart. They have the pumps at the Salvation Army and Goodwill a lot also if you just make sure it has the correct nozzles. In Utah we bought used ones for camping , but the secondhand stuff is really good up there I wouldn’t buy used otherwise. Seems that the bigger more luxury ones we got they were springing leaks I think it may be from the different plastics you may want to stick with a simple one. I would imagine you could get it done for 40 bucks. Edit; if you make it too comfortable they may never leave!

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

You can ruin one if the two of you are enthusiastic enough, this much I know

BB, Nightclub Dwight and bender66 like this.
  6. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Tele-Meister

Intex makes some pretty good ones that have lasted longer and been more comfortable than their price would suggest. Walmart carries them, so you can find them about everywhere.

Nightclub Dwight and bender66 like this.
  7. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

There are some really comfortable, robust camping/trekking air mattresses on the market. I have one from Trekology that I absolutely love. I'm not lying when I say it's more comfortable than my regular bed. It's pretty quiet, which is important, and concave to help prevent your rolling out of it.

There are a lot of them out there. Thermarest would kind of be the go to upscale brand but I think the alternative brands are really just as good. Take a look at YouTube for reviews on camping mattresses

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Just had company and used em. $15 at Walmart.

I've been on one since August (full bed/box spring. I'm amazed how comfy it is honestly. The ambient air fluctuation will need you to top it off with some air every few days longer term, but it's good. Mind the cats though.
    16190389584177131270168585819112.jpg

Nightclub Dwight and Stillhouse like this.
  9. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've got one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OU4IQC/?tag=tdpri-20

A bit pricey, but very convenient. Plug it in, press start, and forget it. It self inflates and then maintains the pressure automatically. Plus it's 18 inches tall, which makes getting in and out a lot easier. And it comes with a decent nylon storage bag.

If you look at some of the related products on this link, there are similar, but cheaper, alternatives.

Cheers,
    Doug

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty bad at sleeping and have a lot of opinions on beds and bedrooms. I think air mattresses are ok for one person but I absolutely despise them with two people sharing. Every time the other person moves at all it's like an earthquake. Awful sleepless nights on friends' airbeds. I'm sure for some less picky people they are ok. I wouldn't put my elderly parents on one.

If you are handy how about building a murphy bed - or replacing the bed with a sleeper sofa?

11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I remember having good experience with the Coleman air mattress with the built-in or attachable battery air compressor.
    Just to keep things well inflated and firm I would not go larger than Full size ( vs. queen or king) and stick to just one person on the bed.

12. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Experience with air mattresses? NSFW and very embarrassing.

Nightclub Dwight and Stillhouse like this.
  13. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

The Intex are pretty good for occasional use...we get about 2 years use out of them before they need to repaired or tossed...make sure you get an electric pumpo_O.

We also have an AeroBed. It is much better for guests staying more than one night. Ours is a queen. Blows up with the top higher off the floor than the Intex, so easier on the mount/dismount. Has an attached pump.

14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

That must be a deflating experience.

Nightclub Dwight and 39martind18 like this.
  15. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I've had some experiences ON an air mattress, but not with!:eek::rolleyes::D:D:p

16. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Lots of good advice here, thank you all. Good points made about not storing it in the attic, and to beware cats. Fortunately, our cat is declawed (she was adopted like that, we would never harm an animal with that barbaric surgery).

It is a tiny bedroom, and my hope is to line the walls with my amps. So that rules out a futon or fold out. It might only be used a couple of times per year, or even less, so that was why I was thinking air mattress that we could store in a closet or something when not in use.

We do have a nice couch in the living room, and that works fine. But I need to convince my partner that this is a good plan to get rid of the spare bed. She is not easily convinced.

In pre-pandemic times we used to occasionally host some rather famous old school punk musicians when they come through on tour (mostly acoustic these days). We definitely want to keep the option open for them to crash at our place since it is so much fun to see them, but I'd love to make better use of that room the other 363 days of the year. The bed takes up almost half the room.

I'm in no rush. Plus, I need to convince she who must be obeyed because I do enough to get myself in hot water without major redecorating ideas, and I'd like to keep the fragile peace.

17. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

If you buy one, blow it up. Then let it sit uncovered for a couple of weeks to get rid of the new plastic smell. If you have a patio outside or a screened patio that can work. Make sure you have a nice thick comfy top for it to sleep on top of.

18. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Aero.

effzee likes this.
  19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I had them for years for when we had TONS of company. I, myself, had never slept on one... til I did and it was then I threw them away and bought good camp beds with nice rollup mattresses...

When we moved to town, I bought new beds for the extra rooms, but we made a point to sleep on all of them to determine if they were 'great' or not... not meant we tossed'em.

20. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

I slept on one in college for my last semester.

works fine for ONE person to sleep on, and nothing more.

I’d argue that they’re more comfortable than the average cheap mattress people have in a spare bedroom.

getbent, effzee and Nightclub Dwight like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.