Any experience at storing teles in 120 deg F heat?

guitar_paul1

Tele-Holic
I'd like to store my Squire MIC Affinity in SoCal (I-10 eastern desert) over the summer, but I'm afraid of what it will do to the neck. Any suggestions?

The backstory:

Humidity is real low and temp is real high over the summer in my trailer.
I stored an Ibanez AC240 acoustic down there last summer and destrung it but I left the truss rod cranked. When I got back in the fall, the neck had a pronounced unplayable back bow. Fortunately, the neck had excessive relief even with the truss rod tight, so it essentially cured it like putting a heater on and straightening it. The bow came out with loosening the truss rod and putting on some 0.012 strings.
The tele, however has a perfectly straight neck.

I guess one option would be loosening the truss rod and loosening the strings.

ElJay370

Tele-Afflicted
Indoors, in a case, with the strings slacked should be fine. A bolt on solid body isn’t anywhere near as sensitive to environment as an acoustic. I’d expect a bit of easily remedied fret sprout when you finally do retrieve it, but not much else.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
I don't recommend it. Lived in Tucson, AZ for 6 years. Wood does lots of crazy things in a dry environment. What ever you do, don't take the strings off. Maybe tune down a half step. If you have a hard case wrap it in plastic. Also place it in the center of your unit away from the most direct heat. Still a gamble.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
prod_24189741312

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Guitars generally do best where us human beans are comfortable. However, 120-degree heat will not kill a guitar. Excessive heat and moisture sure will.

Do the following.

-Clean the guitar well, and leave the strings on.
-Detune each string one full turn of the tuner knob.
-Place a layer of toilet paper between the strings and the frets.
-Place the guitar in its case.
-Store it flat, under a bed, with the guitar face up.

"Under a bed" is far better than in an attic (too hot) or in a basement (too damp).

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
You could try using a humipack. in the case, and seal the case with garbage bags or any big plastic bag. Really depends on how dry it is going to get. I would avoid rapid changes in heat/humidity. I don't think rapid cycling would be advisable.