Any exciting garden plans for this year?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gobi_grey, Mar 21, 2018.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

OK, I don't know much about apple growing and am surprised that only rarely do apple seeds become apple trees that produce apples.
    What is "self pollinating"?
    I knew that orchards brought in bees for the chore, or to control it, but didn't realize the apple was such a picky grower.

BTW, it wasn't me who sprouted apple seeds, though I did try and fail as a little kid.

We had a poor producing peach tree in our backyard when I was a kid, which seemed odd for up North, and the next door neighbor had a spindly peach tree that produces a few big delicious peaches every year.
    When the property was sold, the new owners cut down the unassuming little tree on the edge of the yard. Made me pretty sad at the time.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

As soon as the snow melts, I'll be starting my 14'x14' attached sunken timberframe greenhouse. The foundation has been waiting for a few years while I got the house livable. I have left the vegetable garden go to seed for a couple years as I build back up the soil (only about 4" of natural topsoil around here), so I actually will not plant anything this year.:(

telemnemonics and JustABluesGuy like this.
  3. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Pulling weeds.

SacDAve and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Chances are that there wasn't a good pollinator near your tree or you didn't know how to prune for fruit .
    The neighbor knew how to prune and had a good pollinator nearby .
    Self pollinating is a tree that can pollinate itself . Most apple varieties require a pollinator of a different variety . This is why most apple seeds are natural hybrids . The simple truth is that apple trees do best when there are other varieties around for the pollination . Crab apples are great pollinators and some apple varieties are better than others .
    Apples are not really picky , there are just basic rules .
    Peach trees , for example , will fruit off of second year growth . Once you understand fruit , it is rather simple , like a card game .

5. samson

samson NEW MEMBER!

[​IMG] I have a plan to make my garden like that. Hope I will make it ASAP. Is it the perfect plan? Or do you anyone do it like that? If yes, please share your idea with me. Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.