Any exciting garden plans for this year?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gobi_grey, Mar 21, 2018.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to do that a lot but mosquito's breed and chipmunks drown, followed by my wife being cranky.

gobi_grey likes this.
  2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

We have downsized to a patio home with very little space or full sun. I had a fairly large yard at the previous place with Avocados, limes, lemons, oranges, grapevines and berries, along with tomatoes, jalapeños, and assorted veggies. I even had some nice wild tepin and pequin pepper plants volunteer, that I then cultivated. Tiny but wonderfully hot and smoky little native peppers.

Jalapeños and herbs are about all the veggies we will be doing this year. As long as I have something fresh grown I am pretty happy. Vegetable gardening is an old tradition in my hillbilly family.

3. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

We will grow a salsa garden in one set of planter boxes - onions, peppers, tomatoes and cilantro. In other planter boxes I am planting various flowers to attract bees, butterflies and birds.

Our plum and cherry trees are looking good, and ideally we will have fine output from both.

telemnemonics and JustABluesGuy like this.
  4. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Gobi

Do you know much about apple trees? I planted from seed a few years back a couple apple seeds for my daughter. I am told that if grown from seed they will not ever fruit. Not sure how that works because aren't all trees grown from seedo_O?

Anyways, they are tall (6' +), with one stalk each (no branches) and one has lost all it's leaves; I do see little buds along it's length but they are not budging.

Do you know what i should be doing to help these fellas along? They are currently in pots.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Where did the seed come from? If it was a hybrid mother it won't produce the same fruit but instead it will back breed and might produce one of the types that was used to create the hybrid. I think. That's how other plants work anyway. I never heard that before about growing from seed. Maybe soneone else can chime in. What about Johnny Appleseed?

6. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

The vast majority of apple varieties are not self pollenating . Basically every seed is a hybrid . Grafting and budding are the only way to be sure of the fruit . Do not worry , because you can graft and/or bud onto your rootstock . Your seed tree will fruit as long as their is a pollinator near enough . There are only a few tip bearing varieties . The remainder are bud bearing . Plant them now while they are in a dormant state . Get them out of the pots . The problem with you being in LA is that you will likely not get enough cold days for fruit . Apples need a cold period to bear . You may want to find a variety that will bear in your area . Ag center or an orchard will assist you . Don't waste time because now is the time . Good luck . Yeah , I graft .

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    telemnemonics and JustABluesGuy like this.
  7. Telecasterless

The seeds were from an apple my daughter ate. More or less the Johnny Appleseed approach.

8. telemnemonics

@otterhound covered the modern method, but back to Johnny Appleseed, those are now called "heirloom varieties" or "heirloom seed", because the hybrids of today with superior yield, hardiness, disease resistance etc simply do not reproduce the same offspring from seed, if they produce any seed at all, and then if the seeds actually grow.

Grafting is I guess the method for creating superior perennials, where hybridizing seeds is done for annual vegetables.
    Knockout brand roses are actually a Rosa Rugosa beach rose root with some other rose stem grafted on top. I'd guess that the grafted stem is also a hybrid, but I'm not up on that stuff.

I do get old time gardeners asking/ telling/ criticizing my rose care regularly based on older rose varieties, where the knockouts get a different cut when dead heading, from the old time cutting back to the five. These things multiply buds all summer and produce ridiculous amounts of blooms, as long as they get fed and watered enough.

I've also seen some crazy stuff grown in the compost heap or off to the side, volunteers as they are known.
    Even 40 years ago many garden seeds were this sort of hybrid.

Now there is a certain love for heirloom tomato's that are all lumpy and misshapen.
    Might be a little like our love for the blackguard spec Telecaster with it's primitive hardware.

9. Telecasterless

Ok, thanks for those tips. I'm not sure our yard in infill Los Angeles can withstand any more planted trees though, it's quite crowded as is, what with space here being scarce. I suspected the weather here was a possible culprit. I will have to research this a bit more.

10. telemnemonics

When I was a kid I had to plant seeds from every damn thing that came home from the produce bins. Drove my mother crazy, sort of.
    Banana seeds, lemon seeds, pepper seeds, tomato seeds, peach pits, and probably apple seeds too.
    Not much success, some seeds need to dry out and some also need to be frozen over winter to germinate, AFAIK.

We grew some nice avocado plants.

That's actually pretty cool that your daughter got apple seeds from an apple to grow, not sure why mine didn't.

11. Telecasterless

yeah, I was surprised too. We started with probably 15, some became seedlings, others didn't, some seedlings didn't make it. But I have two skinny tall (saplings?) trees without any branches.

I was going to try and plant cherry seeds but boy, if you read up on those, you'll find a
    whole procedure for preparing them (which includes the freezer) and you definitely need your east coast cold weather to make them pop.

12. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

We are doing some raised beds in the front yard, and a living fence in the back. The fence will be hops, (fuggle and Mt. Hood) and an edible vine I can't recall the name of right now. It has nice flowers and grows well in full sun or partial shade so it should work out great!

JustABluesGuy and telemnemonics like this.
  13. otterhound

I must differ with you concerning apples . Do the research and you will find that there are only a very small group of self pollenating apple varieties . The standard practice for centuries has been grafting and budding because virtually all seeds are hybrids . Being a hybrid apple does not equate to sterility or anything other than it not being true to the parent tree . Just because you have a self pollenating variety like MacIntosh does not mean that the seeds you get from that MacIntosh apple will be MacIntosh unless the pollination has been controlled .
    It is believed that Johnny Appleseed was planting Summer Rambo apples . I have often wondered about this since Summer Rambo is not a self pollenating variety .
    Back to the guy from LA . Apple seeds generally require a certain level of cold days in order to germinate . Unless you stored them in your fridge for a while , I would say that you have some sort of green thumb . There are likely varieties that have been bred to produce in your climate . They likely will be fairly modern varieties . I doubt that Smokehouse , a local variety here , would produce fruit in your climate , but it would grow .
    Consult a local Ag board or orchardist about your options and proceed from there .
    While we are on this subject . Have you ever eaten white peaches ? They are something special and may be worth consideration if you have the room and care to try . Fresh picked , tree ripened Belle of Georgia peaches are worth the effort .

14. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We are planing to build a 30' long Bamboo wall out of about 10 Bamboo trees along part of our fence. Then one end will have a Banana tree then few more trees. Our neighbor has turned his yard into a total eyesore, we have lost all our privacy. Nothing like floating in the pool with a bunch of kids staring at you. At least he was kind enough to cut back or down most his trees so we can totally enjoy this view from our bedroom window. This view is just part of it the whole yard is just have-ars uncompleted projects it's been a 3 years of this with no end in sight. But I do have to say I'm excited about starting this except the digging I live in Rocklin CA they cal it Rocklin for a reason. So Saturday were going to a Bamboo farm to most likely buy the trees I looked at renting a small backhoe from home depot of coarse everything cost to much. Anyway hears our new view

Attached Files:

gobi_grey and tery like this.
  15. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Just waiting for April 15th so I can get the tomato plants in. Here, "tax day" is also called "tomato day" as it is the accepted end of any possible frosts for this region.

We have one small area that gets proper sunlight. Really too many trees in the yard to have much of a garden.

I used to have an acre lot adjoining the lot that the house was on. I had a very productive 50 x 50 vegetable garden. Now I have 2 trugs, enough for 4 tomato plants and a squash or two.

JustABluesGuy and gobi_grey like this.
  16. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have several medium sized raised beds.

I have a tomatoes, peppers (jalapeno and bell), beets, squash, turnips, cabbage, rutabaga, and potatoes (sweet and white).

I bought the peppers and tomatoes already about 8" tall, but everything else is from seeds (except potatoes and rutabagas).

I also have been tending an asparagus bed for several years. It hasn't quite taken off like I'd hoped. The stalks that grow are thick and tall, but there's not very many (like only one or two per crown). But I did harvest a few already this year and they were good.

I've got several apple trees, but they're still pretty young, maybe get an apple or two this year. And same for peach trees. I have a sickly pear tree and a plum tree that might start producing this year.

Next year I am going to remove my raised beds and just make a full size garden. I've been adding mulch by hand over the years, but my back said no more hand tilling! I plan to get a tiller attachment for my John Deere tractor for next year.

But I've learned over the years to really be picky about what I grow. It's only me and my wife, and neither of us is into canning. So it's pretty much grow what we'll eat. Many years ago I had bushels of peppers that I ended up pretty much just giving them away.

Cheers,
    Doug

JustABluesGuy and william tele like this.
  17. otterhound

Bamboo spreads by rhizomes and is very invasive .

JustABluesGuy and telemnemonics like this.
  18. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I've never been remotely interested in gardening until the last couple of years. However, we only have a small rear garden and very limited skills.

I'm looking at this as a possible hobby for when I retire in a few years but, by then, I'm hoping to be back up north where there's less clay and builder's rubble.

19. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

"Running bamboo plants are the varieties that can spread out over large areas. They have roots called rhizomes that spread out horizontally from the root system and produce new shoots. ... Clumping bamboo doesn't send out rhizome roots"
    Going with a Clumping Bamboo.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  20. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

And here is why I don't have neighbors...
    Good ones are a blessing from heaven, bad ones are blessings of another variety.

SacDAve likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.