1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Electrovoice Love Out There?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by eugenedunn, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

EVM-12L, best speaker on the planet IMHO.

2. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Tele-Meister

EVM 12s

The best at clean with a bit of attitude. I love it. [​IMG]

3. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Hey Big White Tele,

What's the story with the "Pete Anderson" stenciled on the back of your amp?

I'm a big fan of THE Pete Anderson's solo stuff and work with the mighty Dwight Yoakum.

4. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Tele-Meister

Hi Eugene. Thats one of Pete's 66 Deluxe Reverb's with the 6L6's and Twin output tranny modded by Red Rhoades. He used 2 of these in tandem with Dwight for years. I bought it from him a few years ago, and also have his Black Custom shop Tele built by Mark Kendrick. Guess Im a big Pete fan myself. Here's the pair of them in action. You can see the 2 Deluxes behind him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvMwWrW-U9A

5. telesavant

telesavant Tele-Holic

Most every combo or cab I have is loaded with the EVM 15L. These SC/30Matchless combos have baffles custom done by Matchless, cut for the EVM15L, while retaining their standard 1/12 combo size. No speaker breakup, just screaming electrons!!

Attached Files:

6. reddart

reddart TDPRI Member

I like these EVs:
    [​IMG]

7. 65flh5326

65flh5326 Banned

Thats great! I was thinking I was the only one whose speaker choice is CLEAR!

Thanks,
    Don

8. eugenedunn

Hey Telesavant,

I have an Electrovoice 15L upstairs, just waiting for installation into a guitar cabinet. You have inspired me to get that project going. After hearing how great my 69 SFPR sounds with the EV Force 10, I really wanna try the 15L in an extension cabinet. Thanks for sharing your pictures!!!!

And thanks, Big White Tele, for sharing the tidbits about Pete Anderson's Deluxes with EV's. More inspiration than I can shake a stick at.... and when I say "stick" I mean maple with jumbo frets!

Geno

9. telesavant

telesavant Tele-Holic

Did someone say EVM 15L?

Hey E.D.!! So you wanna talk EVM 15Ls? If you like the 10" version, you better have diapers on when you hear the 15L!! Epiphone has a 1/12" cab out now that looks like it can be relatively easily converted to a 1/15" baffle, all plywood, and around $120.00, and is gorgeous!! I think "Blackheart" just came out with relatively the same cabinet for the same price. For me the beauty of the 15 is to use the smallest cab possible, open or closed back, both sound great. The 15L is close to the 12L in response, but moves more air. The "L" stands for either "Long throw", or "Lead" (long throw doesn't make any sense to me, as the 15B, of the two, should have a longer throw or excursion, and the 15L was standard equipment in many bass amps, Boogie being one, so I think the excursion is the same for both, and the "L" stands for "Lead", which has extended frequency capabilities over the 15B, and will handle bass duties as well). The 15L has 5 ribs added in the cone that contribute to the "Extended" frequency response, and differentiate the 15L from the 15B. Here are pics of some of the amps/cabs I've had done over the years. I have more, but this is the max download. Hardwood Boogie MK1 Reissues, back and front (standard 1/12 dimensions, but 3" taller to fit the 15), Hardwood Boogie extension cabs, front and back (built to the same dimensions as the Boogie 1/12 combo), and a pair of Webb extension cabs --- all with the EVM 15L!! Good luck on your project, keep us "Posted"!!

10. eugenedunn

By the way, I am wearing diapers right now, as a result of the 69 SFPR with the EV in it. I may need a bedpan with the 15L. Dang, you are the freakin' master of 15's! i think it's time for a separate thread all about love or hate for 15's!!!!!!

My mind is spinning now, trying to figure out the best route to incorporate that 15 into my rig. I actually thought about putting into my Leslie cabinet, but the whole assembly wouldn't fit, depth-wise. My Leslie has a big ol' 12-in JBL in it that barely fits as it is.... so the EV is out of the question there.

Thanks for the tips and inspiration. With all your 15-inch installations over the years, what is your current rig? And why? Seems like those Boogie cabs would be ultimate in looks and performance.

When you mentioned the Epiphone and other cabs that could be fitted for 15's, are talking already loaded cabinets for 120 bucks? I couldn't find them online... do you have a source for those?

11. telesavant

telesavant Tele-Holic

The Epiphone, and Blackheart appear to be the same cab, and the same price. I'm sure The Epiphone cab is on their website, and the Blackheart cab is at www.blackhearteng.com Guitar center has the Epiphone cabs. Those cabs come already loaded with a 70-75 watt Eminance!! Of my amps, the Boogie combos/cabs sound the best, and as hardwoods the closed back extensions actually have a tone when you tap the side of them!! The Boogies sound great, and are my "A" rig, but have relinquished that moniker to my Peavey Artist, which next to the Boogies, doesn't sound quite as good harmonically, but in a band situation works great, sounds great, and has been trouble free 20 years, also much less worries on stage with imbeciles using your amp as a bottle caddy!! I use it with a matching closed back cab, both with the 15L. The 15L in a closed back cab is a virtual "CANNON"!! That Epiphone cab we were discussing has a small center port in the rear that can easily be closed if prefered. Here are some more pics. Hardwood Boogie MKll-Bs awaiting the 15L install, another set of Hardwood extension cabs with 15Ls, front and back, and the backs of the Webbs with 15Ls previously posted. It is apparent from the pics that I like closed back extensions used in conjunction with open back combos -- the best of both worlds!! It is also apparent that I've had the extensions built as "convertibles" with the open or closed back as the "players choice"-- just remove or replace one of the panels!! Let me know if you found the Epiphone, or Blackheart cabs we discussed. I think there is a recent thread or two here about the Blackheart, also Google is helpful.

12. Big Lug

Big Lug Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Are you guys talking about "vintage" EV speakers or the current production ones?

13. eugenedunn

The EV Force series is definitely out of production, but I see them from time to time online used. They were specifically aimed at guitar speaker replacement markets. The B series like 12B and 15B were bass primarily, and the L series were more extended range, but I think they could serve in a lot of applications because their power handling ratings were so freakin' high!

14. JimiBryant

JimiBryant Tele-Afflicted

I have an old Bag End 1x15" cabinet with an EV and not only does it weigh a ton, it will take ANYTHING I throw at it - such as my 120 watt Orange head!!

15. gionnio

gionnio Tele-Meister

I put an EV in my 6C6 Bassman about 30 years ago. The old speaker [probably the original Jensen, but who knows...I traded a guitar for it in 1975 and didn't know any better] had a shredded surround ring. I've since regretted my sin against the vintage gods after learning about how collectors value the original speakers, but I've always been satisfied with the sound. I feel better after reading this thread because hardly anyone seems to talk up EVs these days.

I'll have to take the back off some time and look up the speaker numbers on the internet out of curiosity...

16. telesavant

telesavant Tele-Holic

The 15L has been out of production for years, and I think the 15B suffered the same fate. EV does make a 15 now, but I believe they are just for bass, and high power applications..........they don't have that "guitar friendly" frequency response. I think for the most part we're discussing the vintage models, which I've seen go for 300.00-400.00 on ebay. The 12L has been brought back, and there is also a "Zack Wilde" signature model of the 12L. How'd ya like to lift a 4-12 cab loaded with these!! I've seen these available in MF. EV's are always heralded by those who have them, and anyone that sh*#s on them, most assuredly doesn't have one!! The combos built today, and in past years, usually opt for a 1-12, stamped frame speaker, mostly because that that's all that was available for guitar. Fender did use the 15 in combo's extensively in years past, and some of the most sought after vintage Fenders were loaded with a 15 of some sort. Most manufacturers don't have a clue that a 15 would fit in that same cab they were loading with a 12. Today; Jensen, Weber, and Eminance make some great "guitar friendly" 15's.
    Hey E.D., did you ever check out those cabs we talked about?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  17. eugenedunn

Hey Telesavant,

Yeah I looked at the 1x12 cab with an eye to convert the baffle to a 1x15.

I was looking for a more traditional Fender black tolex and silver-blue sparkle grill look.

Lopoline has some good looking basic cabs..... but in a recent tube swapping frenzy at Tube Sonic http://www.tubesonicamps.com
    I was able to check out his custom cabinetry. Super nice. Check out the backs of his custom amps on the website. They are a semi-openbacked arrangement, nicely done with a metal bar to protect the tubes and all. Anyway Shane Manning, the owner of the shop said he'd possibly build me a cabinet in trade for a 1998 MIM Strat (with numerous upgrades) I had.

Hey, the coolest thing about Shane's shop is that you can audition tubes in your amp BEFORE you buy!!! How cool is that?! You can actually find THE tubes that make your amp sing..... and then buy your runnerups for spares! The Tube Sonic shop deals primarily with old USED tubes or NOS tubes. He has thousands and tests them individually, then ranks them in racks so that customers can pick through the spectrum of gain.....

18. Tim Swartz

Tim Swartz Friend of Leo's

That would be the one I like too, have them in several amps and cabs. The ceramic models are quite harsh/abrasive in comparison.

19. telesavant

telesavant Tele-Holic

Those are S.R.O.'s by electrovoice, and very nice speakers. If you take the cover off, you will no doubt find the magnet. The same dimension magnet that is on the 12L, and 15L. The S.R.O. IS essentially a 12L, or a 15L with a lighter frame, with only 4 mounting holes, and had to be mounted face on, rear of baffle, on it's gasket, which further limited it's applications. The S.R.O. 15 even has the 5 additional ribs in the cone for added frequency response, as does the 15L. Not sure of the S.R.O. 12. The S.R.O. 15 sandwiches it's magnet between two thick steel slugs. The EVM 15L only has the thick slug on top of the magnet, leading some to believe it's a heavier magnet..... nope, the magnet used is the exact same thickness in both. The EVM and S.R.O. are sonically interchangable, and both are as smooth as butter!!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  20. Tedecaster

Tedecaster Tele-Afflicted

I just love 'em to death!

[​IMG]

No really!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.