Any Dillion Fans?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Dan R, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

I have recently looked at some Dillion guitars and they seem to be a good alternative to Epiphone in many cases. They are guitars based on value rather than name brand.

Nothing against Gibson, I'd love to have a beautiful sunburst Les Paul, but I am just not going to spend so much hard earned cash on a guitar. I am over the name brand thing. It's a tool to make music for me, nothing else. I don't need to be proud of a guitar, I want to play and enjoy it. No offense to anyone who owns pricey guitars that they dearly love. I also realize that no name guitars have no resale value.

So what about Dillion?

nojazzhere and LeftFinger like this.
  2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’ve played a few. Their semi hollow model and a LP type, and a really thin pancake electric. Sorry, I don’t know the model names. IMO they look better in the pictures. As for the rest of the factors, playability and sound, they’re not bad. Not great, not bad.

3. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Dillion guitars are just another import guitar, no better, no worse.

8barlouie likes this.
  4. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Wait a minute. Isn't a MIJ Fender an import guitar? I certainly wouldn't say a MIJ Fender is just another import guitar. Japanese guitars have some of the finest necks you will ever find. Maybe you should define "import" a little more specifically.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    nojazzhere and Greg_L like this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My Dillion is a dilly
    [​IMG]

nojazzhere, studio1087, BB and 3 others like this.
  6. frankthedog

frankthedog TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have owned a few and they are great guitars for the money.

SamIV and BB like this.
  7. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Nothing wrong with Dillion. Their old Mosrite clones are great.

Made overseas doesn't mean anything anymore. 99% of the stuff we use every day is made in Asia.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My experience with them is less satisfying than expected. I drove two states away to try a new one that I had GAS for. One minute in my hands and I was done with it. I tried a few other models just to see if I was testing a lemon, but nope, they just don't seem to be players. I expected at least Epiphone quality, but something is amiss with them. YMMV

9. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

I've been a big Bob Dillion fan for years.

10. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

I have found that no matter who makes a guitar, there are critics who will declare it a waste of money or only good as a modding platform. "Just needs tuners, nut, bridge, pick-ups, better pots, etc..."
    Bottom line is if you played it, and liked it, then buy it. Don't worry about the rest of the world. They can buy the guitar they want.

Doctorx33, StrangerNY and Toadtele like this.
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had a “Canadian” Dillion, and it was superb, great neck, good fret work, nice rosewood board, light weight. It was a Les Paul Junior double-cut, and I upgraded the bridge and P90. Installed a bone nut and locking tuners. Fresh wire work and bell knobs with pointers.

Long story short, I found out the neck tenon was glued on, end grain to end grain. WTH?

So you know how Gibsons are notorious for snapping at the headstock to neck transition? Well this guitar survived a fall in that area (thanks scarf joint), but split in two at the body to neck. It was a real ‘clean’ break too :rolleyes:

I know the Dillion “USA” folks try to trash on the Canadian stuff, but all of it is made overseas. I don’t think the Canadian thing is even relevant anymore except on the used market. YMMV.

12. blowtorch

My Dillion is the best-sounding guitar I've ever played. Nothing else in my 50+ stable measures up. That dogear P90 is just the right combination of warm and raw.

This didn't happen until I raised all the pole pieces skyhigh, though

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

If i recall correctly these are Korea made ... I rate MIK above MII or MIC but behind MIJ or USA ...

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I just saw Blowtorch's post and I'm still posting this!

I've played their Junior copies at Music Go Round and I think they're very nice. I found this picture online. Mr. Blowtorch has impeccable taste!

[​IMG]

This one is $335 on Reverb. They play well and sound good and they don't have the big long Epi head stock. It's just taste and my taste means nothing but I don't like the big long Epi headstocks. I'm glad that Fender uses traditional headstocks on Squiers.

Dan R and blowtorch like this.
  15. blowtorch

That logo font is totally different than mine, and I don't know but that may denote "Canadian" vs "USA" Dillion, which I am pretty sure are all imported anyway, but I'm not sure which is which, and don't know that it really matters at all

16. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Incidentally, I have owned American made guitars all my life. Fender, Gibson, Heritage. The only imports I've owned are a Danelectro U-2 and a Tokai ATE-61 (like a sunburst custom), unless you count a MIM tele. All great guitars, by the way. Now I'm down to just my old 70's tele and Gibson Hummingbird.

Anyway, my mind is open. Sure I can appreciate the fit and finish of a well made guitar, but my friend's MIM Strat sounded better to me than my MIA Strat. Those MIA pickups seemed lifeless. Just sayin'.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

which horses are in said stable? not questioning, just checking for context.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. blowtorch

Let's see...Lots of seldom heard of stuff like PureSalem, Waterstone, Prodigal, SX, Agile, and Douglas, but also Danelectro, Tokai, Epiphone, Fender, Squier, Airline, Parker, Dean, Hamer, Ibanez, Schecter, Charvel, Dearmond, Fernandez, Roland, Gibson, Gretsch, PRS... that's off the top of my head. It'd probably be easier to list what I don't have at this point, actually.

And, I'm not bragging. It's ridiculous

19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Dillion Firebird that I flipped after awhile. It was a good guitar- well made, good sound, good player. I just didn't like how LONG
    Firebirds are-- felt like playing a bass. But the Dillion was fine.

20. blowtorch

Yep. I rarely play my HLK firebird copy for just that reason. Somehow they are way more unwieldy than an explorer-type, which, I'd thought it'd be similar in that sense

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.