1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any compressor recommendations for Bonnie Raitt slide?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by fakeocaster, Jul 19, 2015.

1. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

I don't use compression much but I love the sound that Bonnie and Lowell get for slide.Any suggestions?

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

demeter

3. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

There's someone making a slide compressor that is supposed to be the Lowell George thing in a box. It's called slide rig and is quite expensive but I've heard it's pretty great. I think Lowell used two compressors maybe?

4. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

For Lowell George's sound there's the Origin Effects Slide Rig. It was designed specifically to replicate his tones. It's basically two compressors in one box with an On/Off for each. Lowell George used two Dyna Comps playing live apparently.

I recently discovered the old orange box DOD 280, that would be good for slide, it has a lot of sustain and dip & swell when cranked. The new reissue is very good too but brighter and slightly less full on compression.

5. teleaboutit

teleaboutit Tele-Meister

I think you should be able to get decent results with any Ross-style comp, Keeley or MXR Dynacomps are both good places to start. Experiment with the "attack" or "sustain" setting to get the right amount of "squeeze". Another factor that can make a big difference in how the compressor ends up sounding is whether it goes before or after your main OD for leads. Placing the comp after the OD can get a huge, sustainy sound that may get close to the tone you're after.

6. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Oh, noes! Can it be... Boss!!??

Attached Files:

7. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I nly play slide on electric, and I've tried a few different compressors. My favourite is a Boss LMB-2, which has threshold and ratio controls, which I prefer to attack and sustain. It also has an enhancer control, which is useful with warm pickups.

8. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

That's a boss Cs 1 2 or three on the amp there. They're very good compressors and i don't get the hate.

9. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I had one many years ago, but can't remember anything about it. Will the attack control significantly reduce the attack? That is something I would like but have never been able to achieve with the ones I've tried. I built a couple of BYOC compressors, but the attack control didn't do very much, if anything.

EDIT. I wouldn't worry too much about what Ms Raitt uses, with broad limits. It's mostly in the fingers. ;)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  10. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I love the Boss compressor, very smooth. I think spitting hairs over brands and styles of compressor will run a distant 2nd for emulating his/her style and technique, feel. I'd be willing to bet they still sound like them with the toys. Find one that YOU like, and let the sparks fly!!

12. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I think she has changed comps over the years, some years ago she was using a studio-type tube comp, then the Demeter. Looks like she may have changed to the Boss lately.
    Al

13. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Like most of us, Ms. Raitt may own more than one pedal.
    On the Boss, try turning the Attack knob all the way clockwise, the Sustain about 2 o' clock, AND turn the volume control on your guitar DOWN a bit.
    Use the compressor's Volume to ease the level back up. This way, the compressor is trying to turn the guitar UP, instead of squashing the signal like a limiter the harder you pick. You also don't get that huge pick transient at the beginning if each note.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.