Any coin collectors?

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
My mother passed away this week after 93 wonderful years on this earth. She was tight with her finances and never brought me into any details. When she passed I found I was named as the trustee of her estate. Part of her will left me with some gold coins. My nephew is kind of a collector and looked the coins up online and thinks that they are worth big money. Since there is an enormous wealth of knowledge on this forum I figure some one could direct me to a site to confirm the value of these coins. Thanks in advance!

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm not a collector, but have a few coins of interest. Gold coins, unless very rare or proof-mint condition, are usually valued purely on their weight, and the gold-market rate, which shifts on a daily basis, recently, mainly downwards.

Last edited:

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
I've also got a massive amount of old coins I inherited from some relatives that died without heirs. Most of them are only worth face value though. The only exceptions I've found are some older silver dollar and half dollar coins that are worth a bit more but aren't amazingly valuable.

I've looked up the values on various coin collecting web sites as well as checking on EBay.

Greg70

Tele-Holic
Sorry to hear about your Mom. 93 is a full life and I hope she had a great one!

I've got some modern proof sets done in silver but don't have any gold. Coins have value based on rarity and condition, plus the value of their precious metal content. Modern mintage tends to be based more on just metal content. Antique coins have more collector value in addition to the precious metals.

The term for a coin collector is "numismatic". Use that in a google search and you'll find more resources.

I found this website that might help:

www.money.org

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member

No affiliation. Talked to them about some of my late Wife's things.

Condolences on the loss of your mother.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
I have several gold coins from the 1860s that my Mother left me. I think they are worth the gold weight that is about all. I'm just going to keep them and pass them down through the family.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My mother passed away this week after 93 wonderful years on this earth. She was tight with her finances and never brought me into any details. When she passed I found I was named as the trustee of her estate. Part of her will left me with some gold coins. My nephew is kind of a collector and looked the coins up online and thinks that they are worth big money. Since there is an enormous wealth of knowledge on this forum I figure some one could direct me to a site to confirm the value of these coins. Thanks in advance!
Sorry about your mom. :(
I have accumulated a stash of coins over the years......silver coins, wheat pennies, etc.......but I've never looked into values. I just plan on leaving them to my grandson, my principle heir. I hope he makes a fortune! ;)

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Sorry for your loss Bob.Check all of them from 1893 and older for the CC (Carson City) mint mark. Coins that bear that mark are usually worth more than coins minted elsewhere with everything else being equal. Also there's a good Wikipedia page for the mint showing years and coins minted.
1669414875766.png

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
Cointalk.com is the TDPRI of coin collecting. If you think the folks where are experts you are in for something there.

Brad Pittiful

Telefied
Ad Free Member
sorry to hear...as stated...cointalk.com is great

condition is everything in the coin world...if your coins are worn...you have the value of the gold with is good

also look them up on the pgcs.com site...they are a grading company but have price values that could give you an idea of value...if your coins are graded ms63 (ms is mint state) and up hold the most value in the coin collecting community

uriah1

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Sorry for your loss.

Love coins. Mostly silver and early. No gold. Gold coins like a lot of coins can vary widely for same year and mint based on grade. Before you sell it might be worth it to have them graded or estimate in grade locally. For a fee. If you have questions you can ask here. Get the red book at library or coin shop

Attachments

• 6F53326D-F403-402E-B434-3BA8B020999E.jpeg
    6F53326D-F403-402E-B434-3BA8B020999E.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 1

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I have some old Coins but, nothing spectacular.
I have an old Penny from 1911.
Looked it up.
The Website said it was worth a Solid 18 cents in it's condition.

Kind of lost interest after that.

Brad Pittiful

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have some old Coins but, nothing spectacular.
I have an old Penny from 1911.
Looked it up.
The Website said it was worth a Solid 18 cents in it's condition.

Kind of lost interest after that.
i found a 1947 nickel in change...in its condition it could be worth a couple hundred dollars..always check your change

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
My condolences on your loss.

Similar to OP, I inherited a bunch of coins my father had. Most are silver dollars and silver 50 cent pieces, and a bunch of silver nickels, dimes and quarters.

Figuring out what your coins are worth will take you down all sorts of rabbit holes. If you take them to a dealer, you'll be lowballed because they have to turn around and sell them and, of course, they want to make a profit. Better to look at some numismatic sites, or just type in the details of one of the coins into a search engine and see what comes up. When you have an idea of value, you can list them one at a time on eBay, or in lots of 3 or 5, or whatever.

I listed one of my silver dollars on eBay and sold it for $22. Felt like I should have gotten more, so I haven't listed any more. Thought I should wait til silver prices went up. Then I forgot to keep track of that.