1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any clue where this Celestion G12T-75 was manufactured?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Dec 19, 2020.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Some of these speakers have a label that looks exactly like mine, others do not have "Ipswich, England" on it. The assumption is that the latter are made in China, and the former are made in England.

But after doing extensive reading online, that is not necessarily the case. People are selling the ones with "Ipswich England" as British, but I'm not 100% sure that is actually correct.

...and judging by some of the online conversations, this is actually a touchy subject, with some accusing Celestion of "deception" in labeling...
    IMG_20201219_141059938.jpg IMG_20201219_141110751.jpg IMG_20201219_131828673.jpg

2. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Based on Celestion code dates 1992 - 2014

02 day
    J = September
    G = 1997

I think Celestion started making these speakers in China late 2002/early 2003. Others may have more experience in this area than me.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Great speakers, either way - that’s all that matters to me :)

Aside from the Eminence Private Jack, most of my favorite speakers are Celestion and the G12T-75 is one of them.

nicknklv, Jakedog and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

Cool, thanks. I saw a Celestion code chart but the formatting looked different and I got all confused....

I got two of them from a gut who pulled them from a Marshall 4X12, and I wanted to know more about them. I'm not a speaker guru.

tah1962 likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I didn't know they even continued the T75 after China manufacture began.
    Mine is the older label and I think the rim is stamped England but I can’t check now. I know many or most had England mechanically stamped in the rim and then that stopped, so I usually assume no England on the rim means Chinese.
    Really don’t know though.

6. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

That label says "Celestion International Limited. Ipswich, England." It doesn't say "Made in England". I would take it as the location of their headquarters, not where they were made. Does it make a difference? How do they sound? If you knew they were made in England, would they suddenly sound better to you? If my gear sounds good, I'm not going to worry too much about where it's made.

mexicanyella and Jakedog like this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

It sounds like... a speaker.:lol: I've never been one to notice nuances of speakers over other speakers, except in extreme cases (low-frequency driver vs. regular guitar speaker, etc.). It is a 16 Ohm speaker and I have it connected to a solid state digital modeling amp labeled 8 Ohms (though online I read that 8 is really a minimum). I know there is some volume loss associated with doing this.

I was just curious where it was made, as there is considerable online discussion about this.

8. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I once had some Celestions which had a tiny oblong sticker on one spoke/leg of the frame which said England on it, and others which did not. A guy told me the ones with the stickers were made there, and the others were not. I don't know if he knew what he was talking about or not. I wasn't that concerned. There wasn't any marked difference in the sound quality.

Jakedog likes this.
  9. 3-Chord-Genius

There are some of these speakers with a label that looks exactly like mine, but the "Ipswitch, England" is eliminated. Like this one:

[​IMG]

10. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Beats me. I really don't know, but I suppose it could be a telltale sign.

11. 3-Chord-Genius

I think the comment above showing the date code was probably the most accurate answer.

sonicsmitty likes this.
  12. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Is there a white sticker on the side of the magnet?. If so, it may say where it was made. If it doesn't, but has a "50" number on it, I've been told that also means Chinese-made.
    Al

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

5C1049DC-1AE5-40F2-B310-79322DEE7A12.jpeg C962460F-A315-4E7E-AF02-866B2191EA82.jpeg Later UK Celestion frames without paint are harder to see the stamp on.

I have no doubt Chinese factori s will make good stuff if paid to do so, but they will also make compromised look alike stuff if that’s what you order.
    UK Celestion prices are higher so I prefer to pay the correct price, same as I’m not paying Gibson prices for a seemingly identical Epiphone, even if it gets a Gibson logo put on it.

14. 3-Chord-Genius

By the way, that round dome thing came off the front of it, whatever it's called, so I glued it back on with rubber cement. I don't even know what that thing does.

15. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

FYI. Their Chinese greenie is one great speaker.

mkdaws32 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  16. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

It is called a dust cap.
    It is there to avoid dust or debris getting in the voice coil gap in which case they will rub and damage the coil wire.
    Different dust cap materiasl are use depending of how the designer wants to incraese or decrease the higher frequencies.
    Some are also made to let variable amount of air passing through for different movement damping.

https://medium.com/@billoceanelc/kn...ker-dust-caps-before-buying-them-abda6177589a

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  17. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

About 10 years ago I bought a used Marshall 1936 2x12 cabinet with a pair of the G12-T75’s in it. Great sounding cabinet but after hauling it around to gigs for a couple years, I ended up downsizing to a 1 x 12. :)

18. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I've had both speakers - the older wire in the back and the newer.

There's definitely a difference - the older one sounded great in my 4210. The newer ones are 'stiffer' and harder sounding, which depending on usage is not terrible. They suit JCM900 and DSL heads for more modern tones. Which means maybe they just need more breaking in.

The G12-T75 is Celestion's attempt at a Greenback tone in a higher wattage rating - in a 112 with a 50 watt or a 212 with 100 watts I think they sound better than a quad box or stack, personally because you can get them a bit more cranked. They're quite efficient so to get them at their best requires a lot of volume.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    tah1962 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  19. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

+1...I had a pair in a Marshall 1936 2x12 cabinet used with a DSL-50 head. I used it primarily for outdoor gigs for 3-4 summers. They sound great if you can wind them up. Not so great at lower volumes.

20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

https://www.bygonetones.com/the-history-of-celestion.html

It has been a long time since the ‘headquarters’ for Celestion was anywhere near England.
    Another interesting thing about Celestion lore. “Pre Rola” carries a large weight in the Celestion world when in reality all that is
    Is the label. British Rola was an offshoot of Rola, USA. In 1947, British Rola bought Celestion in April, 1947. So.....ALL Celestion speakers in Marshall amps are ‘Rola’ speakers. The label which delineates ‘pre Rola’ from ‘Rola’ is the label and location of the factory....not the speaker. And....TruVox bought Rola Celestion in 1949. Just don’t try to share this Rola thing with someone who is looking to get huge money for those ‘pre-Rola’ Celestions, right? They don’t want to know about it.
    There is one thing I know about the made in China Celestions...those labels must be expensive, right? Imho, they should be priced like the WEber .signatures, for instance. I bought a 150 watt, 12} MIC Johnson speaker about 20 years ago out of curiosity...great speaker. It cost me $19 USD wholesale,..retail was $38, and for my ears it outperformed any MIC Celestion that I have heard.
    A young player brought in a nice 2 x 12 custom cab that was loaded with MIC V30s. When I heard the high end raspiness, I asked him if that bothered him. He said he had never heard it...but he admitted it was there. It plugged the same amp into a pair of Ev’s...voila...great sound without the rasp. Same thing happened with a pair of 1966 Jensen C12Ns. He looked at me and asked why so many players used them and crowed about them. I admitted that I could not answer that other than the Celestion label was on the speaker, but that I did not play labels. This young player was touring in a Texas band on national stages and was proud of having the same type of equipment that he was being told he needed!?!?

each to his own....but he was not happy with what he was hearing after he had his ears opened.

dannyh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.