1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any child of the ‘50s out there?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by laocmo, Jan 31, 2014.

1. laocmo

laocmo NEW MEMBER!

Any other of you mid-western “child of the ‘50s” out there who thought Fender guitars were too odd looking to consider buying? Back then I and all my friends were so enamored by the looks of Gibson and other fancy f-hole hollow body electrics such as played by Billy Byrd, Bill Haley, Merle, Chet, even Elvis, that those were the guitars we wanted when we got rich. When Fender came along they were so plain and utilitarian looking that we just didn’t like them. They looked more like a tool than a guitar. (Wish though I had bought a dozen of the early ones) Today I love their sound but still can’t get used to that look. I've a feeling they were popularized by a different breed of player than we were back then.

2. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

I'm a Fifties child, and always loved the Fender look- never was attracted to Gibsons-
    my feelings have not changed.

3. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

You must have pooped yourself when they came out with the explorer and the vee. :eek::lol:

4. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

I wanted a Rickenbacker. Once I finally got one I wanted a Tele, now that I have one those I want a 12 string Tele. Oh ya a sick puppy here!

5. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

;)Sorry child of forties... well 48.
    I always thought my rock and roll hero and guitar were soooo cool tthrowing guitars left and right behind there heads, al that stuff the I saw a stratocaster.. didn't know what was or how it worked but I looked cool.
    Also all those pawn shop specials were cool too St. George. with lots of nobs and switch an electric guitar was much much cooler..the more stuff the cooler it was. Pick ups with wndow screen inside the pick up was cool.
    The Telecaster wasn't curvey enough , a plank, a bread board with a neck.
    Now I the "grande dame " of electric guitar evolution has become more enticing.
    I do not disparage the noble flat top solid body variants les paul jr, specials they play an important role in the electric guitar history ( just not on this site ;) ).

I admit to being enraptured by those gretch fat boys with those monstrositys on the back end
    Duane Eddy was all so cool .

Attached Files:

6. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

I was born in '52 and my first real guitar heroes were Les Paul and James Burton. I was fascinated by Guitars and guitarist from the beginning. The only thing I ever wanted to do was play guitar!!! I remember seeing Strats on TV especially Thumbs Carlille (sp) on the Ozark Jubilee. But the guitar that REALLY got to me was watching Ozzie and Harriet and seeing James Burton at the end of the show playing with Ricky. It took me It took me 30 years and a whole bunch of other guitars before I got one but now I understand why the Tele is SO COOL!!!

7. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Born in 1950 but though I loved music & was pretty good on a full accordion by age 12 (plus some piano) I didn't really want a guitar until about 1967. And what I wanted was what Jimi
    Hendrix played. Was a gigantic Beatles fan, liked jazz then countless pop & rock bands but I wanted a Strat. I didn't really associate the Beatles, Stones, Hollies, Animals etc etc with guitar, it was Hendrix that made me want to play one. Of course Cream, TYA, Springfield, and a zillion other bands reinforced my yearning.

Turns out I actually learned guitar on & Harmony Rocket & then got into flattop & only got my first Strat, a '72, in the late '80s. All these years later I play a Tele + flattops (though still have a great Strat) and sure don't emulate Hendrix. He still is there though: my inspiration. I love his stuff.

8. 1hoofer

1hoofer Tele-Meister

Born in 1957, first got really interested in music with the early Beatles/Stones. Never cared or knew what they were playing though. All that changed when I saw Jimi on Ready Steady Go (pr TOTP?) and I needed to know what that guitar was.
    In 2014 I still love Fender best, I have 4 Teles but just 2 Strats.

9. mke52

mke52 Tele-Meister

Born in 52, my first electric guitar was a Decca brought at Sears in 65 when I was living in the States.
    I moved back to Europe and gor a third or fourth hand Hofner. My dream was a fender Mustang, the cheapest but way too much for me.
    I got my first tele at 35; a messed up 68 that I kept a few years till I managed to get a 72 strat and in the last few years, amongst others, a 68 thinline and an 85 mij pink paisley tele.
    Fender was a kids dream in those years, unless your parents gave you nice Christmas presents, there was no way to get one. The price of a Strat or Tele was close to a months average salary..
    Now most kids can get an entry level Fender at very reasonable prices.

10. jonsongz

jonsongz Tele-Meister

Born in 51'. Got my first Silvertone guitar from Sears after seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. In 67' I got my first Telecaster, a beat up butterscotch from the fifties. Paid $75 for it. Sold it two years later for $150. Thought I had made a good deal at the time. Live and learn!

11. Dakota Red

Dakota Red TDPRI Member

Born in '51, I started with '65 E-230TD [1st "good" gtr after a Kapa], stuck with Gibson-types 'til late '70s. When I finally "got into" Teles/Esqs/Strats I started drifting from the Gibson-thing. Took a few decades but all my vtg Gibsons are gone, tho' not all my vtg Fenders...

12. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Here in the UK it was dreams only .No US guitars in sight .I longed for Duanne Eddy's Gretsch ,my first guitar hero , or a Guild .Then I saw Hanks Strat ,and a Telecaster on the cover of the shadows first Album .Les Pauls never even featured ,in fact I had never heard of one until much later .The guitar that made me really drool and one of the few US guitars I had seen in the flesh was a Gretsch White Falcon in a fairly local store .It broke my heart and cost a small fortune ,about the same as a decent auto .Oddly now I dont actually like them much ,Still cant afford one.
    I did end up with a US made Ampeg Reverbrocket but driven by a Hofner V3.Sounded good .

13. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I guess my real interest in electric guitars as a kid started when I saw Frank Beecher from The Comets on TV with his black Les Paul during the '50s- loved the look of the guitar. Then a couple of years later my older sister's drummer boyfriend came around to our house with his bandmate's new Strat (1961/62 I think).. around the time The Shadows brought out Apache and that just blew me away to see a real Fender up close- it was either red or blue..we can't quite remember. Then I got interested in George Harrison's 12 string Ricky in Hard Day's Night and really wanted one. The first real Fender I had was a Fiesta Red early '60s Jazzmaster, and it was a magic guitar to me back then ..but..sold it a year later to buy my first car :(

14. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

It was just dreams for me too.

I was born in 1950 and grew up in Liverpool. On Saturdays I would peer into Frank Hessey's and Rushworth & Draper's windows (two guitar stores frequented by The Beatles) although I knew that I could afford practically nothing in there.

The guitar I wanted was a red, somewhat Strat-like, Watkins Rapier, but I simply couldn't swing it. I did have a white f-holed hollow body that I put a pickup on and traded for an absolutely awful Japanese Zenon, but that was it until I moved to the USA in my mid 20's.

15. randomhitz

randomhitz Tele-Meister

In the mid fifties if you lived out in the sticks in the west the main guitars you were likely to see on record covers and hear on the radio were
    Gretches and Fenders. Duane Eddy and Bo Diddlyfor the Gretches and instrumental bands like the Ventures and, of course, Buddy Holley for the Fenders. The only Gibsons you saw were the hollow bodies. Not sure I even saw a Les Paul until the British blues bands showed up with them.

Now that I think about it among the folkies you would see mostly Martins, Gibson J-45s, And LG-1s (and Epiphone equivelants).

16. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I got my first guitar for my eighth grade graduation , after much pleading with my folks . It was a no-name kinda strat copy from Japan and I was pretty ignorant about guitars so I figured it was as good as any ( wrong ). Then I heard the names Fender and Gibson floating in conversations with the guys I played with . One of my buddies had a Kay electric and the other guy had a Supro , one of those white ones from the 50's ( this was 1968 so those were floating around ). I lived in a small town so there weren't a lot of guys playing guitar around , but as word got around I found more guys that played . We used to rent this one guy's amp , he platyed a Gibson Melodymaker , and his partner had this old Esquire . At some point the Esquire came up for sale , and I bought it for $30 , it was a '57 but had been used A LOT , and the body and neck had been refinned badly , but it was a real Fender and yes , it played like butter compared to my Japanese Strat copy . It was my only guitar for about 5 years . I met one guy a few years older than me who had Rick , I don't remember what model because he also had a Hagstrom that he played more . I also remember going to a friends house just because his cousin was there with his REAL Stratocaster , this was big time . Eventually met guys who had SG's and LP's too . Almost bought a '68 Les custom for $300 , but couldn't come up with the cash soon enough . Later I played in a band with another guy who had a Silvertone , kind of like a Strat , he played it through a Silvertone 6-10 , it really sounded good , that 6-10 was LOUD . Seems like after 1968 it was kind of a boom on guitars there .

17. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Sorry to the OP for sidetracking, but I have to ask, do you have any Beatles stories to tell? (Maybe you could refer me to another thread of yours).

18. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Born in 52, from the Midwest, and I used to go to downtown Kansas City to the Baldwin Music store and early fell in love with Fender guitars on display on their upstairs guitar floor. I remember they had a whole floor of Steinway pianos as well. I bought my first electric, a 67 Mustang, white with a tortoiseshell pickguard from that store. $112 was the price. I traded this guitar and my fuzz face for a 62 Gibson SG which I would have kept forever had someone not stolen it a few months later. Next came a Melody Maker which I traded in on 68 Strat then I moved to a 74 Telecaster, parts of which are found in my partstcaster today. Gibsons I always found too heavy for playing 4 hours a night 5 days a week back in the day. Loved the tone, hated the weight.

19. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Born in '50. Gibsons, Fenders, Gretsches, Rickenbackers...loved 'em all. I even thought some of the fiberglass Airline guitars were really cool. My friends and I would go to the local Monkey Wards after school and twang on those until the salesman ran us little hooligans off.

Never liked the Teiscos and Kents, though...they just looked (and were) really cheap. Some of the Harmonys and Kays were nice, but those still weren't on the level of Gibson, et al. Now, I'd love to get my hands on some of those.

20. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Not really. :cry:

I grew up in the north part of the city (Kirkdale and Bootle - the Searchers, Billy Fury, the Fourmost, were more from my area) and the Beatles were all 6 or 7 years older than me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.