1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any builders in the Charlotte, NC

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by rcflyer23, Jul 28, 2011.

1. rcflyer23

rcflyer23 TDPRI Member

Just curious if there are any guys/gals out there building that are close to Charlotte, NC. I'm wanting to start a pine tele here in the next few weeks. I've done woodworking for the last several years and can build the body no problem its the neck that I want to tackle this go round. I've got about 6 2x4 cut to length to start practicing with and am getting my spoke shave tuned up right now but would love it if there was a local resource close who would be willing to give insight.

thanks in advance.

Kevin

2. Sharp5

Sharp5 Tele-Holic

I'm on the nc coast but i just want to say good luck. To me its the most satisfying part of the build. I would also recommend a rasp.

3. rcflyer23

rcflyer23 TDPRI Member

thanks sharp.. Any particular size, model, brand. I have some cheap ones but can always find an excuse for a nice new one. :)

4. Sharp5

Sharp5 Tele-Holic

I use a Shinto. It removes stuff pretty quickly.

[​IMG]

I also use this sculptures rasp from woodcraft for transitions. When I bought mine it wasn't $40 though. Think I payed a little less than $20 so shop around. This is a great tool and it is amazing how well the file side cleans up the wood.

[​IMG]

I also just picked up a flexcut drawknife last friday but haven't tried it yet. Hope to get to it next week on my 335 build.

[​IMG]

5. rcflyer23

rcflyer23 TDPRI Member

thanks.. I had looked at the Shinto Online. I'll check out the others. I'm going to be down near Woodcraft today may see if they have one. What part of the coast are you in? I used to live in Wilmington for a few years.

I'm really stoked to give this a try. I'm just debating a one piece or doing a two piece. I have a couple Dual action truss rods already and some rosewood so I might just do a two piece. Hopefully by the time I burn through all the 2x4's I will have learned enough not to kill my maple. :)

6. Sharp5

Sharp5 Tele-Holic

Not really the coast. In Greenville. Keep us posted.

7. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Except for gun stock making, stringed instrument necks are one of the last bastions for "handmade", "going by feel" building arts left in this country. Meaning, even if you sat and watched someone make necks every day for a year, it would still be a new ball game when you started doing it. Whatever method you choose, you still need to develop a "feel" for the tools, and the wood. Once you get a feel for it with the pine 2 X4's, that will change some when you start doing it with maple and/or other woods. There is no substitute for experience here, and you will make mistakes. Allow for that and don't get hung up on it.
    Go through the build challenges, especially this year's. There were a lot of first time neck makers there, and no two went about it the same way (and some made mistakes). The only real requirement for neck making is determination and a feel for what you like. Once you start making shavings fly, and feel and see what's going on, you''ll be fine. Practice makes perfect :)

Dave

8. rcflyer23

rcflyer23 TDPRI Member

Thanks Dave I appreciate that. I'm half tempted to build some of the jigs to do alot of it but at the same time, I'm kind of a wanna be hand tool guy and really like figuring things out with my hands and then moving on to jigs etc. Thank fully I have a bunch of 2x4 blanks and they are cheap if I need more so I figure after about 5 or 6 in pine I'll take a stab at one in maple. I've got two blanks in maple so I can screw one up. :)

I just need to get the courage up and just do it. I don't know if I am up to a one piece neck yet or not. I might just give it a try.

9. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

10. rcflyer23

rcflyer23 TDPRI Member

11. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Easiest thing to do is buy Stewmacs fretting templates. Its an investment, but it is an amazing tool. It makes fretting a lot easier. They even sell a blade for a table saw or RAS, to make it even easier.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/S...le_Templates.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=19637
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Frettin...ng_Miter_Box.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=10696

12. rcflyer23

rcflyer23 TDPRI Member

Yeah I really do need to invest in those. Especially since I don't expect this to be my last guitar by a long shot. Guess I'll be saving my pennies for all of that. I know it will be worth it.

13. Don W777

Don W777 NEW MEMBER!

Hope Custom Guitars

Yes, there are quite a number of guitar builders in the Charlotte, NC area. I know of one in particular because I am learning how to build websites by building one for my friend who builds sweet custom electric guitars. His website is www.hopecustomguitars.com and he lives in the Matthews/Mint Hill area near Charlotte. He also does bass and guitar repairs and teaches guitar lessons. Great guy named Steve Uveges. Check out his site and contact him. You will find him very interesting to talk with as he is very knowledgeable about electric guitars.

-Don Walsh

14. Don W777

Don W777 NEW MEMBER!

Hope Custom Guitars
    Yes, there are quite a number of guitar builders in the Charlotte, NC area. I know of one in particular because I am learning how to build websites by building one for my friend who builds sweet custom electric guitars. His website is www.hopecustomguitars.com and he lives in the Matthews/Mint Hill area near Charlotte. He also does bass and guitar repairs and teaches guitar lessons. Great guy named Steve Uveges. Check out his site and contact him. You will find him very interesting to talk with as he is very knowledgeable about electric guitars.

-Don Walsh

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.