1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Bowhunters on here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by martyb1, Feb 24, 2012.

1. skillet

skillet Tele-Meister

I have two Quinn Stallion recurves, but in December my main bow became a Toelke Whip longbow; it's like holding a pencil in your hand it is so light, especially compared to my recurves (but then recurves are meant to be heavier in the hand, that's part of their attraction).

I really enjoy bowhunting. It's incredibly difficult (I only hunt from the ground using either natural blinds, or spot-and-stalk methods), but also very rewarding. If anything it gets me out of the city and into the woods, and honestly, that's the part I love the most.

2. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Afflicted

Been a bowhunter since the mid 1970's. Started with a Wing recurve and progressed to compounds. Have always been a finger shooter but lately have been thinking of switching to a release , as far as modern compound bows go there's not alot of them designed for a traditional finger release.

3. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

Not going to get into it with you but.......................
    You really need to do some research on coyotes.

4. jb12string

jb12string Tele-Afflicted

Yep, I bowhunt and really enjoy shooting local 3-d shoots. Currently shooting a Hoyt Trykon XL. My friend got a new Matthews last year that is pretty sweet.

5. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Even though my forum name is "bowman", I am not a bowhunter. In fact, I don't shoot at all, and the name has nothing to do with bows - it was the name of the street I lived on at the time I joined the TDPRI. However, my brother does hunt with a bow, so I'm familiar with the subject.

6. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

I have crossbow hunted but never bowhunted however I got my son started on archery when he was young, he has taken to bowhunting and is off tomorrow bowhunting fish at Shark Bay in Western Australia, for a week. It's about 12 hours drive from here.

7. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a sometime, lazy bowhunter. I don't hunt the early, warm bow season here, it's too hot and there is too much vegetation in the woods. I also don't like having to stand the whole time I'm in a tree, so I take my chances and sit a while. I've thought about setting up a blind and trying to take a turkey with a bow.

I really enjoy shooting a bow at targets than hunting with them.

8. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Those photos are helping my understanding. Recently, I was in a store with a bow shooting area-that will increase sales!
    In the past, I've stuck with a 12 ga. Mossy w/ rifled barrel, and Hornady sabot shells.

9. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

When you see the prices on the newest, most modern compound bows, you may just stick with old Mossy. :)

10. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

I hear ya, that Mossy popped up at a low, used price at that. It's a keeper.

11. solly

solly TDPRI Member

Ive never bowhunted but i did buy this a couple of weeks ago:

Bear Legion
    [​IMG]

12. Lerb21

Lerb21 Friend of Leo's

My ass! :lol:

I've been shooting everyday for the past two years now and getting a good group at 30m is tough.

I dunno.

13. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What kind of release aid are you using?

14. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

strictly longbow, a custom mowhawk "sparrowhawk". only hunt georgia, south carolina or texas ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

check out mountain men on history tom oar builds a yew bow from scratch (overnight for a neighbours son's present)

[​IMG]
    outdoorsman tom oar montana

16. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

A long time ago I used to love archery season more than any other. It's not too cold and the deer weren't spooked like in rifle season. I have some great memories of fawns coming within 5 feet of me. I bow hunted for 10 years and never got a deer, but I loved every minuet of it. I still have my Bear Whitetail II. The bows of today are incredible.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.