1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Boss OD-2 love out there?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Mar 1, 2021.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Got to play one and it works pretty nicely as a low-gainer into an amp on edge of breakup. As with most boss pedals, its seems to do best when the gain is on the lower end of things, but volume needed to be up there. Was able to get some nice rhythm tones out of it - very good sounds actually.

I don't hear much about these, as old as they are, so wanted to see if anyone is using one...

Junco Partner likes this.
  2. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

BIG FAN -- does tight '80s hard rock tones all day. It's like Steve Stevens in a box.

bluesholyman likes this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Just did a shoot out with one versus a SD-1, DS-1, OD-3, and BD-2 at GC (at a good volume) when I was looking for a main drive for my all-Boss board.

I went with the BD-2 for my tastes, but I appreciated the versatility of the OD-2. I could get the Blues Driver to sound more natural, the OD-2 has that weird Boss midrange that I find with most of their drives. For a higher gain application, I’d have probably gone for it. Sounded pretty good, but not quite there for me.

It could’ve gotten me through a gig for sure, just didn’t prefer it.

Tele-friend and bluesholyman like this.
  4. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

No love. Nope. Nadda.

5. bluesholyman

Interesting - I didn't quite make that association. For me, I instantly heard country rhythm out of that thing. I guess I associate 80s hard rock with a Rat more than anything else, and the OD-2 is certainly not that.

6. wildschwein

I mainly use it in Turbo mode — it’s like a cranked JCM800. The Rat is a bit more nasal midrangy to me. Both good pedals though.

7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You can get a crazy metal sound into an only slightly crunchy amp. The midrange doesn't bother me because there is a 3 band eq. I can do the same thing with my Klon clone. The OD-2 kind of sounds better, well not really but they do sound a little different.

Don't use them anymore because I use the high gain channel without dirt pedals. I might use them in the future if I have something that needs more gain.

8. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

I really like my OD-2. Very versatile. Volume needs to be cranked.

Junco Partner and bluesholyman like this.
  9. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Tele-Meister

Lotta love for it here... the normal mode does a better low gain than any Boss pedal, and the Turbo mode is a great crunchy sound, closest any Boss can come to a mid-gain RAT: both IMO of course, people posting above have already disagreed with me on both accounts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The main problem I had with it was that I preferred vastly different settings in each mode, so the remote function was useless to me. If it had concentric knobs like the SD-2 to allow different settings for each mode, it might have become my favorite dirt pedal. On the upside, they are so underrated that I probably paid less than 100 for the 2 I currently own ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

braveheart and MilwMark like this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Great low gainer. Great high gainer. Hard to get both out of the pedal without twisting dials as @Junco Partner notes.

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think the model with the remote switch jack has more gain, I have the one without the extra jack

12. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

it's a good pedal for that purpose...the od-2 in normal mode is a SD-1 with about 50% less drive ...great as a (grid/colour) booster

the 2nd ch has more drive,is more compressed,softer and is more "sustainy"

13. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Meister

.oops.how do you delete a comment?

14. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Don't overlook the other Boss sleeper, the SD-2. Put an Allums mod kit in it and WOW! I felt like the OD-2 was a bit heavy handed for what I needed.

guitar_paul1 and Junco Partner like this.
  15. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

I don't think you can. Maybe try reporting it and include a very brief reason why you want it deleted. SInce it's your comment you are reporting they might just go ahead and remove it for you. Personally, I don't understand why they would want to prevent me from deleting my own comment.

guitar_paul1 likes this.
  16. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

My understanding is that the OD-2r has more volume, rather than gain, although I've not tried one, so I stand to be corrected.

MilwMark and wildschwein like this.
  17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Same here. I tried both the OD-1 and OD-2 and preferred the BD-2. They’re all different and obviously many prefer the OD models but the Blues Driver is more versatile. It does the lower gain blues tones and can flat out rock as well.

18. wildschwein

Yes I believe they bumped the volume up so you could get unity volume earlier as well as adding the remote switch option.

19. bluesholyman

Interesting observation. I have an SD-2 and found that I could dial in the lead mode to sound like a Rat, but with a hair more low end. Not as versatile as the Rat itself is, but for that 80s rock sound, it could nail it pretty nicely.

I'll have to compare that lead mode to the OD-2's Turbo and see how close they are.

20. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Tele-Meister

Yeah I’m not saying it’s a dead ringer for the RAT, definitely less fuzzy, but at one point I had all my BOSS pedals out trying to see which one sounded closest and that was my choice. YMMV and what not. Now that I say that, I’m reminded that the HM-2 probably comes closer in texture, but I’ve never had a real deal BOSS, just the Behringer clone, so I hadn’t included it in the shootout. It’ll be interesting to try the Waza version.

I do really, really love the SD-2 lead mode too. Both pedals are sorely underrated.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.