1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any books that go step by step

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Leland105, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Leland105

Leland105 Tele-Meister

Are there any books that go step by step to building a tube amp?

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

This covers building a model, may not be what you're looking for but I found it a worthy purchase for my interests in building an amp.

3. Leland105

Leland105 Tele-Meister

Sorry but can't see what book you are talking about

4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've got a lot of amp books, and none of the ones I've seen do what you want. However, if you buy an amp kit from GDS (Marshall 18 watt type amps) or Allen Amps (various upgraded blackface and brownface inspired amps) or Mission Amps (5E3) or some other kit seller who has comprehensive instructions, you'll learn a huge amount. Many kit sellers (Weber for instance) don't supply any build instructions. That's fine for experienced amp builders but if you're a beginner you can't build a bulletproof amp from a circuit layout picture.

If you're interested in a Marshall jtm45 or 1987 or 1959 or 2203 (the big classic ones), though Metroamp no longer sells kits, their kit instructions are spectacularly detailed, you can download them here for now:

http://metroamp.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Amp_Kit_Instructions

I'd suggest downloading the Metroamp ones to get a sense of what to do and how, though the instructions apply to classic Marshall amps the steps and guidelines are useful for any ampbuilding.

5. Leland105

Leland105 Tele-Meister

Okay well based on experience what company has the best instructions that come with a kit?

6. Tiarnan

Tiarnan Tele-Meister

I would say a good place to start would be Dave Hunters "the guitar amp handbook" Lot of good information in there and at the end there is a section devoted to building an amp designed by him.

7. Wayne Alexander

Leland, I mentioned three companies that supply very good detailed instructions with their kits. GDS (Marshall 18 watt type amps) or Allen Amps (various upgraded blackface and brownface inspired amps) or Mission Amps (5E3)

8. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Ampmaker's online instruction manuals are very clear.

9. Leland105

Leland105 Tele-Meister

Thanks, Wayne. I knew you mentioned those builders but I didn't know if you was just giving a general list of amp kits or if you actually recommended them. The Ampmaker kits look pretty good and not really expensive.

10. Wayne Alexander

Not sure whether you noticed, but Ampmaker is in the UK. Shipping costs will be high to the US.

11. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

12. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

13. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Merlin's books really are not for the beginner, they are design books, not build books and are very much not step by step. Unless he were to have a pretty technical background, a beginner would find himself overwhelmed.

14. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

+1

15. M Fowler

M Fowler TDPRI Member

Books from Tino Zottola from www.tubesandmore.com are set by step building complete with layouts, schematics and BOM.

16. Tele-Belly

Tele-Belly Tele-Meister

+1...I am doing a little homework before my first build and I ordered this yesterday;

$23.95

Qty
    B-911

Catalog Page 132

Building Vacuum Tube Guitar & Bass Amplifiers, Volume 1
    By Tino Zottola

Building your own vacuum tube guitar or bass amplifier from scratch is truly an exciting experience. This book describes the detailed construction of five vacuum tube amplifiers. The construction of these amplifiers is described in full detail with chassis drilling templates, component installation, wire-by-wire hook-ups and schematics. The amplifier projects included in this book are: Sonic MA1 (two tube amp, late 1950s design with a solid state rectifier), All American 4 (four tube amp, early 1960's design using common radio tubes found in "All American 5" radios made between 1947 and 1971), Champ Amp (classic replica of a 1950s Fender amp with a single ended 6v6 output tube), Deluxe Amp (classic replica of a 1940's Fender amp with push pull 6V6 tubes), Bassman (classic replica of a 1950s Fender amp with push-pull 6l6 tubes).

120 pgs, spiral bound. 0.7 lbs 8.5" x 11"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.