Any Behringer P16m Users out there?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by yeatzee, Jul 25, 2016.

1. yeatzee

yeatzee Tele-Meister

Hey guys my church about a month ago upgraded to the X32 system which meant we also got the P16m's and in ears. I picked up the Shure se215 to use with them and things just havent been right. I've never recorded before and I've never heard how my setup sounds mic'd apart from a floor wedge monitor but 90% of my volume was from the amp itself at the back of the stage. We're a small church so we've literally recorded from a cell phone for the past 3 years so I've never been able to hear what my guitar really sounds like out of the mains after being mic'd with an SM57 (the amp is behind a curtain at the back of the stage so it adds basically nothing to the house volume). I love the way my amp sounds in a room but I've always been leary about how its sounded mic'd. Our sound people have zero experience I've trained them as best as I could but I can only do so many jobs. With that being said after we switched to IEM's my guitar has sounded awful, just a muddy distorted mess. I was so frustrated and confused because it sounds so good in person in a room so I thought it was how I placed the mic or something, but it basically sounds like the gain is cranked so it was very distorted sounding. I checked the gain and mic placement and both are A Okay. Then, this past sunday we figured out how to record the mains from the X32 to a USB stick so I got to hear exactly how the guitar sounds and it sounds great nothing like the IEM experience.

Therefore my questions are:
    - do I have faulty SE215's
    - does the P16m struggle with this sort of thing
    - is there a setting i'm missing that could cause this? I've tried messing with the EQ on the P16m but it does very little as far as I can tell.

Thanks guys, im very frustrated because I have zero confidence playing when the sound in my ears is awful so its been rough! Hearing the main's actually sound good is reassuring but I can't pretend it actually sounds good while playing.

2. muzzle93

muzzle93 TDPRI Member

Check to make sure the signal going to your p16m from the X32 is prefader. This is in the routing page under the p16 tab. We just recently got the p16s and my guitar sounds great through them. Also have the shure se215s

3. yeatzee

yeatzee Tele-Meister

Yeah they are pre-fader +M so the FOH can mute the channels if need be.

4. muzzle93

muzzle93 TDPRI Member

Hmm. Maybe the gain structure on the X32 isn't set properly? The only thing that controls volume on the p16m from the X32 is the gain knob. Is the gain way up on your guitar channel on the X32? Could be where the distortion is coming from.

5. opticnerv

opticnerv TDPRI Member

I think that Behringer unit is what this touring metal bands uses. Interesting discussion of IEMs, no stage volume, some stage volume, etc.

6. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

OP.
    I share your frustration. There is a large learning curve with playing with PMS and IEM's
    I've used Aviom, Behringer and the Allen - Heath ( which is my favorite.)
    Most churches I play at are "amp less, or offstage"
    I use my pedalboard and a NUX Solid Studio when I can't use an amp.
    If you are playing in a small church, you may need to drop a "room" mic, on a open channel. That way you might get back your "amp in a room feel". You are going to have to experiment. Also think about playing your guitar in stereo.. it may help you get inspired with your playing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.