Any Baseball fans out there want to comment?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by skitched, Feb 26, 2020.

1. skitched

skitched Tele-Meister

I watched the HBO Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel episode with Trevor Bauer last night. I had never heard of the guy because I'm not really a sports fan anymore. I was a HUGE baseball fan as a kid, but turned out I'm a dork/nerd with little athletic ability. . .and turned out baseball players were not the nicest jocks around. I'm now an active Mountain Biker and Rock Climber, and seeing Trevor's scientific approach to baseball seemed to me very obvious and I was surprised to learn that his approach wasn't implemented in college/MLB a long time ago, but I guess jocks aren't quick at adopting science into their training. I was also very surprised to learn that pitchers still put ice on their shoulders and elbows, icing is the dumbest thing people do for injury prevention/rehab, according to climbing doctors.

After watching the episode which included a segment about "mountain climbing", which was really about rock climbing, I was curious to know what the baseball fans thought of the episode. The climbing segment was obviously a take from an outsider who doesn't really understand the climbing world, so I'm guessing the Trevor Bauer segment was similar. What do baseball fans think of Trevor Bauer and his approach to training, as well as his outspoken, outsider POV?

P.S. I'm going to get some type of shoulder tube after seeing this episode

2. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Climbing doctors aren't baseball doctors. Icing is to hold down swelling in those joints, as throwing a baseball is not an natural motion for our joints.(seems weird i know). It takes 15lbs of force to throw a baseball. If your mechanics are bad it shows up in shoulder and elbow strain,swelling and pain. There is a specific wrist shoulder motion needed to be on the positive side of the force needed to thro said ball. Ie 15+ # of force. If one of those is off then you are dealing in a force deficit situation of less than 15 lbs. that is where the problems start. 1 wrong pitch mechanically and you can ruin your whole career “ he threw his arm out”.
    Cheers
    Icing is good for sprained ankles....never heat until 24 hours then alternate heat and cold to flush the injured tissue.

3. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

4. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.