1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Audiophiles in here? I could use some advice

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kmaxbrady, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Aside from this, I am not going to say anything else on this topic. Though I could say a lot.

SRHmusic likes this.
  2. Stillhouse

Stillhouse TDPRI Member

I can accept the use of vinyl, as in "I got the new 45RPM reissue of Rumours on 180g vinyl. Sounds darn good."

"Vinyls," on the other hand, is WRONG.

Danb541 likes this.
  3. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Oh yes! I like it! Example: "I just built some shelves to store all of my polyvinyl chlorides"

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yep, that’s what my old man told me way back when, and then my DJ friends told me it’s all about direct. I get it.

What I’m saying is for OP, the belt vs DD is not going to help the 350 budget, and waiting to listen to things sound so much ‘better’ sucks. That leads to a bigger point, and no fun too: thinking better gear makes a better music experience steals time away from either a) listening to music, or b) making music. There is a healthy balance though :)

5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

With respect, no-one at a rave/disco/house party is there for the high fidelity music experience. They're there to get get drunk/high/laid, or simply have a rockin' good time, so a DJ's parameters for what makes a good deck are likely to be different

But that's off topic :)

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Any good Electronics Engineer or University student can build one. I used to build Philips kit electronics for folks, crossover in speakers included. Do you have Electronics chains that sell this stuff nearby?
    I used to build stereo systems in the 70s for money when at university, so too my cousin, who created the electronics for the A380 aircraft.
    If you can solder and get a colour resistor chart, not at all hard.
    Your price is too low though.

7. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

But swapping a belt every 5 years (or 20 years in the case of my RP3) is a no brainer - £20 on eBay, lift the platter, swap belt, replace platter, job done.

I fired up my CS-505 after 25 years in storage and 15 years use before that, and with the smallest of speed knob tweaks the strobe marks stood still (and yes I was slightly shocked at that :p ).

Discussing belt vs. DD for a guy who just wants to dabble on the cheap is ridiculous and unhelpful. Old belt drives were arguably better than old DD. The best new DDs are arguably better than belt drives. Who the hell cares at $250 :D ??

Stillhouse and myteleplaysjazz like this.
  8. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Well, when I was a hard studying student, getting up to turn a record every 20 minutes was perfect for me, and making a tea/coffee every 40 minutes when I picked a new album.

Since the "dreaded lurgy"(tm) has me working from home anyway, I could easily revert to form (if it wasn't for the fact that I share my office "landscape" with the missus).

9. Stillhouse

Stillhouse TDPRI Member

Receiver - $75

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/d/beaverton-pioneer-vxs-511s-receiver/7266409527.html

Speakers - $80

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/d/estacada-polk-t15-way-bookshelf-speakers/7268024242.html

Turntable - $200

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/d/portland-pioneer-pl12d-turntable/7253895944.html

So for $5 over budget, that's what I'd pick for a starter setup. A bit upside down on the spending, but speakers and amps are so frequently upgraded it makes sense for a first system. Older AVRs can be good values, just be sure they have a phono input, otherwise an external preamp would be needed, or turntable with a built in one.

John Owen likes this.
  10. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister

I bought a 504 with a Grado F1 in the 70s. I remember hearing a Linn Sondek and being mightily impressed, but thinking “$250? Who’d spend that kind of money for a turntable *without* an arm?”

My 3020 and 4020A turned out to be the best hifi investments I ever made.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.